cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Hero issue with Samsung 960 EVO M.2

goroth
Level 7
Is anyone using the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 with the Asus Maximus IX Hero?
I have 2 of the 500GB installed on the motherboard but neither of them are recognized by the Samsung MVM Driver or the Samsung Magician software.
They seem to be functioning fine but I do know that the Samsung MVM Driver gives them a little boost on Windows 10.
I have tried them both in RAID 0 and in a non-raid configuration.
I have also tried them in 2x and 4x mode but still no go on the drivers.
In device manager they are labeled as "NVMe Samsung SSD 960".
2 REPLIES 2

Menthol
Level 14
There is little to no difference using the Samsung driver compared to the Windows 10 driver but it is unusual not to be able to install the driver
If you have the latest version of Magician, I believe 5.0 it should recognize the drives, although the only thing it offers is a drive speed test, non of the functions that used to be there are there any longer, still it should recognize the drives, works fine on RVE10

Well I have found the issue.
When I first installed the 2 Samsung 960 EVO drives, I choose to use Raid 0 which enabled the Intel raid controller in the bios.
Then I deleted the Raid 0 setup but this still left the Intel raid controller as default.
When I reset the bios to default settings, this removed the Intel raid controller as the default.
So I was able to reinstall Windows and was able to install the Samsung drivers.

Here is the Crystal Disk Mark using EVO without the Samsung drivers using Intel controller as default.

And here is Crystal Disk Mark using EVO with the Samsung drivers and not using the Intel controller as default.

And here is Crystal Disk Mark using EVO with Raid 0, no Samsung drivers, and using Intel controller as default.

NOTE: All the above are clean installs of Windows 10 without any other drivers installed. Using x4 mode for M.2 drives