cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z170-E safe to overclock my i7 6700k?

Hutchie91
Level 7
So I built my rig in August 2016, and given the rest of my parts, I feel like I've annoyingly probably cheaped out on the motherboard a bit , and probably isn't as high end of a one I was expecting (purely just for gaming and doing some CAD work with Catia V5 for uni and music production in FL Studio and Ableton).

Here are my specs:

Corsair 750D Airflow Case with 5 AF140 chassis fans
Asus Z170-E Motherboard
Intel i7-6700k CPU
Alpenfohnn Matterhorn Black CPU Cooler (120mm fan with 220 Watt TDP)
HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 RAM 2113Mhz
Corsair RM850x PSU
ASUS Strix GTX-1070

I can't seem to find much info about my motherboard, as searching for it always brings up the A or Deluxe models. My question is, would I be safe to overclock my 6700k to say 4.4 or 4.5Ghz? I think it only has 5 VRMs which is probably on the low side, but given that Skylake draws less power and runs cooler, and that I'm not trying to overclock the nuts out of it and go for something a bit moderate, I might be okay? Plus, the quality of the VRM's are just as important as how many.

So far my temps are great while gaming, especially for an air cooler, although my case does help. During gaming I never go past the low 50's for the CPU and while doing a stress test on OCCT, temps peaked at 59c. However my main concern is how well would my motherboard handle a mild overclock as I know heat squares with voltage.

I don't know if this is possible, but If i'm able to overclock to 4.4 or 4.5 without bumping up the voltage, would that not put any more stress on the VRM's and therefore I'm safe as long as my CPU cooler can cope with the increased clock speed?

Also, would overclocking the CPU also overclock my RAM speeds slightly?
2 REPLIES 2

Menthol
Level 14
Not familiar with your board but the product page states overclock your way, I would say that your board would not limit overclocking very much, just read some overclocking guides for Skylake, start small and make changes gradually so you can tell what the change does and watch the temperatures 4.4 to 4.5 is doable with your setup

Don't worry about the VRM, as you stated quality means more than quantity

Menthol wrote:
Not familiar with your board but the product page states overclock your way, I would say that your board would not limit overclocking very much, just read some overclocking guides for Skylake, start small and make changes gradually so you can tell what the change does and watch the temperatures 4.4 to 4.5 is doable with your setup

Don't worry about the VRM, as you stated quality means more than quantity

Yeah, I mean it is a Z chipset, and relatively speaking, it's not exactly a cheap board, was still £135 even though I know its still lower in ASUS' high end Z170 boards. Yeah I was assuming that 'Overclock your way' was in reference to their presets they have in the bios where you can choose energy saving, normal or optimum performance. When I set it to optimum performance my 6700k just remains at 4.0Ghz anyways.

So would you feel safe in overclocking that board to 4.5? Again, it's not the temp of my CPU I'm worried about, just the motherboard itself. Especially when I can't find any reviews from other people who've manually overclocked on my board, the Z170-E, its always been either the A or the Deluxe model.