cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M8E + i7-7700K: Settings questions and temperature

MaXeLL
Level 7
Hello guys,

I've just upgraded my pc with the new Intel i7-7700k Kaby Lake, my motherboard is the Maximus VIII Extreme, BIOS 2202, and my previous processor was the i7-6700k, I'm using a Corsair H80i GT water cooler.
The first thing i would like to know is which voltage i need to set in order to configure it correctly, for now i can't upgrade to the newest BIOS version (3007) because my usb keyboard wouldn't work with it and i couldn't configure it (i had to use the usb flashback feature in order to restore the system); I cleared the cmos first and then powered the system, opened the BIOS and used the XMP profile, but i didn't touch any CPU related options.

Secondly, the temperatures: when I had Skylake, in idle i had 28/33 C°, on stress i never saw my temperature up 56/60° C°, now with Kaby Lake i have the same temperature in idle, but on 100% stress i saw a 60/80 C° values, i was quite annoyed about. I used the Artic MX-2 thermal paste, but i think it's not the best, so maybe in the next couple of days i will change it, anyone has experienced this?

In the end, upgrading to the newest BIOS version (not the actual one of course, but a possible future one), which benefits I would have? I read Asus implemented full support for this CPU, translated in?
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Saying 3007 is buggy is an understatement.*
There is a known issue with voltages with even the Z270 platform causing these chips to be a bit on the warm side and to add insult to injury every chip is different, even more so in the beginning of production. *Some will run cooler than others simply due to silicon attributes. Now add even more injury to the insulted injury the IHS TIM material and methods being used is still about as effective as toothpaste. Actually the toothpaste might be better. Either way they are very inconsistent from one to the next. All intel is worried about is that it meets its advertised clocks without self destructing. *Nothing implied about how much heat it generates (other than overtemp).*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
In my experience on M8E, bios 2202 only gave basic support for KL, 3007 gave full support as in bios 2202 I could not adjust the CPU multiplier, blck, etc. bios 3007 I could change all bios settings, a single fan AIO is fine for mild overclocks but a dual fan is much better

MaXeLL
Level 7
Hello guys,

I mean, the stable settings to let it work with the standard clock in order to have a base for starting.