cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any suggestions ?

Wardope
Level 7
What do you think? is this build any good ?

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 Republic of Gamers
Core i7 Extreme Edition I7-3960X 15 MB 3.3 Ghz
Corsair Dominator-GT 4 x 4 GB x2 kits a total of 32GB. 2133 MHz
Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB x8 in raid 0. we are thinking 8 of them to get more performance and hit roughly 1TB Space
WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2 TB x2
LSI MegaRAID SAS/SATA 9265-8i 6Gb/s PCIe RAID
eVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified Hydro Copper (3 GB) X3
Cooler Master Cosmos II Big Tower black Case.
Swift tech water cooling. (Suggestions Please but have to be swift tech)
and as many Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm (RED) as can be fit in the case and on the Water RAD.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!
8 REPLIES 8

8_Pack
Level 12
hmmmmmmm whats the use for the rig? what resolutuon is your monitor/ monitors?? Clocking 8 Dimms is much harder than 4 if absolute speed is what your after. 8 SSD's are expensive why not just buy larger ones to get closser to your capacity in less drives, more cost effective. You also may want to consider ATI 7970 which better the 580's performance and clock better. They also have 3gb VRAM. What PSU you using you dont say. It will need to be beefy to power this rig stably. I would use sythe GT fans on any watercooling build as they are the best around static pressure wise and also very quiet.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is one serious system you have there mate. You built it already or is that your spec list?

If you have put it together please post up some photo's of the build.

If it is not built yet then I have some comments and suggestions.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Wardope
Level 7
its just a spec list. i will start to ordre parts around the 20Th of januar 2012 so any suggestions before that is really welcome.

I dont want larger capasity SSD drives as you gain speed in therms of r/w by putting more drives in Raid 0
thats the reason for 8 SSD's might even go with more Smaller drive like 90gb.
The graphics need to be water cooled. i cant find any 7970 water cooled card's. might find waterblock tho but it have to be swift tech.
about the fans i think ill stay with the Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm just because i like the way the do the directional air flow.

HiVizMan i will sure post pictures and everything along the way as i put it together and mod the Crap out of the case too.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory!

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Wardope what are you using this rig for ?

abb1
Level 8
Hmmm, I could be wrong as I do not have my MB yet, but I think that you can only use 2 SSD drives in Raid 0 on the SATA 3 controllers as there are only two of them that are intel controllers and are Raid. The other two controllers are ASMedia, which I do not believe are Raid. Also, seeing that they are two seperate controllers, you will not be able to mix them for the same Raid array.

abb1 wrote:
Hmmm, I could be wrong as I do not have my MB yet, but I think that you can only use 2 SSD drives in Raid 0 on the SATA 3 controllers as there are only two of them that are intel controllers and are Raid. The other two controllers are ASMedia, which I do not believe are Raid. Also, seeing that they are two seperate controllers, you will not be able to mix them for the same Raid array.

He is hooking the 8 SSDs to the LSI controller, not the onboard Intel controller.

I would suggest getting the battery option on the LSI RAID card. You may also want to look into the LSI MegaRAID Fast Path product.

Thomas Mok. Im no expert on raid what about LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i its not too expencive either. can you point me in the right direction with the battery option ? because i dont think you are talking about UPS are you ?

Wardope
Level 7
the rig will be a benchmarking rig for my Company to show off. i got a small buisness going where we build all kind of tech concepts
the rig will basicly just be used for show off At diffrent events.
And when not used at those events it will serve my Gaming expirience at home 🙂 "maby"

The rig will be lent out to some carfully selected corporate customers.