cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new cable

TwoSteps
Level 7
Hello.

I use 3x ROG SWIFT PG279Q connected over displayports to a “Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming”-GPU. Pretty straight forward. Well, not really…

I’ve had issues with my screens turning black and then on again, constantly losing signal. It seems to be related to the cable I use. If I use the ones that came in box with the displays the screens work fine, 2560x1440@144Hz. If I use another (correct DP-specs with no current over pin 20) the screens go black – lose signal – and then comes back on again, over and over.

So problem solved huh? Just use the cables that came with the displays? Sure, but I need a cable that is a bit longer. The provided ones are about 2 meters and I need one that is 3 meters. Where do I get one that actually works?

No guessing please, I’ve already tried a bunch of different cables with no luck, and they aren't cheap. What is the difference between the ones that came in box with ROG SWIFT PG279Q and the ones you can buy from any tech store?

Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17

TwoSteps
Level 7
Update: I called ASUS support and they had no idea of what cable to use or what difference there was between the ones in box and the ones you get from a regular store. Good job. The day one of us have a cable failing for any reason, we are screwed. This wasn't really the answer I was hoping for...

Anyone else? I really need that longer cable.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
TwoSteps wrote:
Hello.

I use 3x ROG SWIFT PG279Q connected over displayports to a “Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming”-GPU. Pretty straight forward. Well, not really…

I’ve had issues with my screens turning black and then on again, constantly losing signal. It seems to be related to the cable I use. If I use the ones that came in box with the displays the screens work fine, 2560x1440@144Hz. If I use another (correct DP-specs with no current over pin 20) the screens go black – lose signal – and then comes back on again, over and over.

So problem solved huh? Just use the cables that came with the displays? Sure, but I need a cable that is a bit longer. The provided ones are about 2 meters and I need one that is 3 meters. Where do I get one that actually works?

No guessing please, I’ve already tried a bunch of different cables with no luck, and they aren't cheap. What is the difference between the ones that came in box with ROG SWIFT PG279Q and the ones you can buy from any tech store?

Thank you.

I've Attached this to a few previous posts. I literally was having the black flash screen this past weekend playing Gears 4 at 165hz. The issue is like you said, the cable can't handle the data rates and causes the issue. DP 1.2 or higher is required. That is what is being used by most and would top out at about 80% of the cables capability while the monitor is running at 165hz. I need to buy a new cable since the one in the box is either going bad for me or I swapped it on accident at some point with a different cable while rewiring my room. But anyways here's the resolution Display port requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I've Attached this to a few previous posts. I literally was having the black flash screen this past weekend playing Gears 4 at 165hz. The issue is like you said, the cable can't handle the data rates and causes the issue. DP 1.2 or higher is required. That is what is being used by most and would top out at about 80% of the cables capability while the monitor is running at 165hz. I need to buy a new cable since the one in the box is either going bad for me or I swapped it on accident at some point with a different cable while rewiring my room. But anyways here's the resolution Display port requirements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Thank you for your reply. That picture you posted makes sense. However, one type of the cable I've tried - that didn't work - claims to be DP 1.2:

Deltaco DP-1030-K:
3 meter
DP 1.2
21,6 GB/s
Copper yada yada
Goldplated bling bling
Maxresolution: 5120x2880@30Hz
Supports Ultra HD: 3840x2160@60Hz

Well, I'm off to the local store to pick up a cable from Belkin (F2CD000B10E). If that works it seems like the cables from Deltaco doesn't match their own specs.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Also here is what another user bought and said works fine with his ultra wide.
http://www.alogic.co/products/cables-adapters/displayport/displayport-cables/premium-displayport-to-...

I would just go into my local Best Buy and buy the bet one they have which is still only like $30-$40. Not one of the cheap $10 ones as they tend go bad to quickly some of the time. If you want to try them though they are only $10 and they do work. Sometimes they just don't work long. Since you bought three 279q's though I'll assume your not worried about the cash part of this to much and would suggest finding a good cable online from an good brand other than the stock cheapo brands. They just last longer.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
lol my deltaco is different than yours....https://www.deltaco.com/

Either that company is cheaping out on their "quality product" or you might have a length issue which I have not seen in display port. They claim to run 4K at 60hz data rates which is enough for the 279q monitor. I doubt ASUS would ship 1.3 cables with the product and not inform us that 1.3 is required for 165hz mode. But then again the service rep you spoke to doesn't know that display port cables have versions and different speeds.

so anyways check for this, does your cable have the "DisplayPort Logo" on it
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/DisplayPort_plus_plus.svg/150px-DisplayPor...

"Only products that undergo testing are permitted to carry the DP logo."
https://www.displayport.org/products-database/?products_category%5b%5d=cables-connectors&products_ma...

If it doesn't have the logo I don't think it's a huge deal..except that it doesn't work for you so you know that it probably wasn't tested at a rate for 1440p at 165hz. if was probably tested using only 4k at 60hz and may barely make the cut for that so they branded it as a 1.2 cable.

I'm going to check my stock of cables and see if I have another 1.2 cable. If not i'll stop by my local best buy store tomorrow and buy whatever they have in stock and I'll give it a shot tonight. If it doesn't work It might be safer to try and find a display port 1.3. Maybe since this monitor is pushing 165hz it's starting to find the limits of the 1.2 cable.

FYI here is a 1.3 cable you could look to see if you can get to your location

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4k-DisplayPort-1-3-Professional-Ultra/dp/B01M1LERDU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&...
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

LOL! That Deltaco page you linked made me laugh, for real! Haha, that is so funny.

---

Originally I planned to switch all three cables to ones from Deltaco so I had the chance to try 1m, 2m and 3m. All of them had the same issue with losing connection, yet they still “offered” 144Hz in settings. The Deltaco cables I’ve tried had a failrate of 100%. I’d say they suck, but who knows – maybe just a bad batch.

---

So, I got the store. They didn’t have the cable from Belkin I was looking for. They did have another one but that looked really cheap. I didn’t buy that. If I wanted some random “China ware” I could get it myself from eBay, right?
Anyway, I checked two more stores which had no cables at all nor did the people working there have any idea of what I was talking about. I also didn’t buy a new TV which was offered. Sadly, that last part is true; “we don’t have that but we do have this”.
Finally I ended up at a “techie” store and they had one cable left. It works but only at 85Hz. Crap. I could live with that until I find another cable, the connection seems stable – not losing connection and going black like the ones from Deltaco did. Also the length is right.

---

Deltaco surely shows that logo and claim 1.2 yet they don’t work. The cable maxed out at 85Hz does not have this logo and no information of version standards.
None of the cables you linked are available – to my knowledge in Sweden. I would have bought one of the Fusion4k ones but they don’t ship it over. Haha. I bet there are some equivalent ones in EU but who knows what the brands are? There is a pretty good manufacturer in Sweden, Supra Cables, but no one sell their DP-cable. I’ve contacted them directly, waiting for an answer.

---

What do you think of Bandridge? They've got a cable I can actually get and it doesn’t share the name with a burrito vendor; BCL2103.

ok.....so everything we previously thought......is completely.......TRUE. DP 1.2 is the method required by this monitor. a DP 1.3 is not required and the issue has to be the garbage cables that keep being given you by means of telling you that it meets specifications when it is obviously having trouble reaching it.

I pulled the below from the PG279Q manual. We both need to find a cable that will work. In my post from 10:44 today did you check out the cable that another user bought and worked with his ultra wide? also the one you sent looks just like that other one that didn't work but we don't know if it will actually work or not until you try it out.

I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316
Level 9
lol "Burrito vendor"...I'm going to call all "Mexican food" places that from now on. Never heard of Bandridge but when I google it I don't get a food station for my top find so they are already make a better cable in my books. Since we determined that a 1.2 cable obviously doesn't work right with this monitor at 165hz. we should investigate what Asus has shipped us from the Box. and since they can't tell you due to lack of knowledge we can either find some markings on your cable that came with the unit or disect one of your cables that actually works which would be unfortunate so lets start with the first one.

I wish they would start putting the type of cable in this....They put "USB 3.0" but not the type of HDMI cable or DIsplay port cable which is very relevent now as we can see.

Can you take a look at your in box cable from asus and see if there are any indicators? (if you haven't already that is)
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316 wrote:
lol "Burrito vendor"...I'm going to call all "Mexican food" places that from now on. Never heard of Bandridge but when I google it I don't get a food station for my top find so they are already make a better cable in my books. Since we determined that a 1.2 cable obviously doesn't work right with this monitor at 165hz. we should investigate what Asus has shipped us from the Box. and since they can't tell you due to lack of knowledge we can either find some markings on your cable that came with the unit or disect one of your cables that actually works which would be unfortunate so lets start with the first one.

I wish they would start putting the type of cable in this....They put "USB 3.0" but not the type of HDMI cable or DIsplay port cable which is very relevent now as we can see.

Can you take a look at your in box cable from asus and see if there are any indicators? (if you haven't already that is)

The cable that comes with this type of screen is Amphenol E326508 and they cost a penny on eBay.

Edit: The Alogic-cable seem to be sold in Australia, couldn't find a vendor for it over here.