cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM Laptop running hot idle/under heavy use

MikkoAA
Level 7
Just got new laptop with GTX 1060 graphics card and having issues with temperature. Can't be dust, very not likely lacking thermal paste.

On idle:
CPU 50 degree (Celsius), GPU 52-56 degree where I'm basically just having this page open, steam window open (just showing my game list in background, no moving parts) and that's about it.

On heavy load:
GPU clocks about 85 degrees didn't check CPU but I bet it's lower than that.

I've got Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility installed with -0.135 v core voltage offset.
I've got MSI Afterburner installed running preset settings found from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

I was able to run Dark Souls 3 maxed out fine (at least seemed so, although I got DS crash after going back and forward between windows).

Trying to reduce clockspeed of GPU didn't seem to do anything but raise temperatures in game 1-2 degrees.

Any tips?

And my house is about 25 degree inside right now so I SHOULD get somewhere similar temperatures right? Something like 30 degrees in idle?

Is there way to reduce power consumption on lower load and fix heavy load temperatures somewhere 60-70 degrees?
12 REPLIES 12

fluffydelusions
Level 7
The whole strix line has overheating issues that you can read about in this forum...it is not just yours. Only solution seems to undervolt or return it for something else if you have that option.

After some testing I've noticed the CPU temperature barely rose from basic (50 to 58-59 degrees) when I was stress testing with Intel Tuning Utility (currently testing -0.165 V and doing fine.

So basically whole issue is in GPU, am I right? Any ways to fix? Incoming fix patch from Nvidia in future?

If you increase the fan speed though, you will have to deal with noise. It sounds to me as though it might be the best option to trade in for a G series again for the more efficient cooler if the temps are that big of an issue. We wont judge you for jumping over to a G-series, we'll just sit here and make pancakes on our laps. They don't have pancakes.

I just tested out everything maxed out (Ultra) and still had some options to put some extra ultra apparently...

And GPU was running only 72c...

Well I just recently installed 376.66 (376.33 can be downloaded publicly) Drivers for Nvidia GTX 1060 so maybe that did the trick.... or I don't know, I probably have to play Dark Souls 3 again to see if anything has changed.

Still pretty high base temps for GPU and CPU.

Certainly would like to see some extra fan speed added, maybe 200 rpm more than current would do wonders.

How to change fan speed?

olounda
Level 7
I have the same laptop, and I experience the same high temperatures. I came from an old g751 which was really good when it came to heat management, however it was big and heavy. I had to realize that my gl702 is more than half as thin as my old 751, which means that there is much less space for large air movement. Its also got a much bigger/better GPU. I realized i'm okay with that because i got so much of a better laptop that weighs significantly less and is way more portable. For when i'm not gaming on the go, I just bought a laptop cooling fan to go under it, and that keeps the temps at about 85 C.

olounda wrote:
I came from an old g751 which was really good when it came to heat management

same here 😄

fluffydelusions
Level 7
I also had the g751 🙂

I have the same issues with heat.
As i said somewhere before, i had MSI GS70 Stealth before. It was made of aluminum and it became HOT AS HELL (about 90 degrees on GPU which affect aluminum body, so i couldn't touch it on heavy load at all), but it was thinner than GL702VM.
So, this is a price for mobility, low weight and much more power in gaming/working. It's not a fault of ASUS, it's just regular physical process. We can reduce temperatures a little bit, but nothing more.

Maybe if I could increase fan speed I could get my GPU dropped from 52 degree idle to 40.

Is there program to do this that isn't restricted to desktops? I didn't seem to get anything done with the MSI Afterburner. Can't undervolt, can't get fanspeed up....

heeeelp!