cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 6850K Overclocking help and user experience needed!

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I am running a 6850K OC on my ASUS X99-A II with the following settings:

Core Ratio = 4,3 GHz (all synced)
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
with 1.25 CPU core voltage:
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = 34
Max. CPU cache ratio = 34
CPU Load-line Calibration = Level 6
Long duration package power limit = 4095
short duration package power limit = 4095
CPU core voltage = 1.25
CPU cache voltage = 1.15
CPU input voltage = 1.8

Memory:
64 GB at 2.800 MHz*
DRAM voltage = 1.35
14 - 13 - 13 - 35

Leaving everything the way it is, I can go up to 4,5 GHz at 1.35 voltage.

Temps are about 60 degree at Prime95 etc.

I am now wondering:

1. Is that voltage Ok in terms of lifetime?
2. Shall I adjust any other settings?
3. I can't rease my cache ratio about 34! Is there somehow a way? Do I even have to?
4. Will setting some things back to auto help performance?
5. Do I have to raise the CPU cache voltage?

I'd really appreciate your help! :cool:

Best,
Alex
4 REPLIES 4

Alexauwa
Level 7
Also I want to add. When raising my core voltage to 1.35 and OC my CPU to 4,5 GHz my Samsung 960 Evo (used as media drive) wont show up in windows anymore. It is still visable in the UEFI. All drivers are up to date. Latest BIOS version is installed. Any suggestions?

Menthol
Level 14
Alexauwa,

1. voltage is OK as long as you have cooling to keep temperature in check
2. CPI Input voltage should be around 1.92 to 1.95 with LLC 5 or 6, this will allow some vdroop under full load
3. cache at 34 is good, will only notice increase in performance if benching, but 38 is typically max for BW-E at about 1.3 volts cache
4. manually setting package power limit is probably not necessary
5. only if raising Cache speed but stay 1.3 volts or less, you may want to raise dram voltage to 1.38 for a little added stability

Use adaptive voltage on CPU, offset voltage for Cache and voltage will scale up and down with CPU frequency when idle and under load

as for your Samsung drive, if it only drops out when overclocking then something is not stable with your overclock, looking on Silicon Lottery the 6850 4.5 GHZ chip they sell needs 1,4 volts

Menthol wrote:

as for your Samsung drive, if it only drops out when overclocking then something is not stable with your overclock, looking on Silicon Lottery the 6850 4.5 GHZ chip they sell needs 1,4 volts

Thanks for your answer! I've played around with your settings, no matter what I do I cant get my 960 evo M.2 back at 4,5 Ghz. Even raising the core voltage to 1.4 does not help. Are there any settings for M.2 in the BIOS?

"Use adaptive voltage on CPU, offset voltage for Cache and voltage will scale up and down with CPU frequency when idle and under load"
Also, how do I set this up in BIOS to get 1.35 core voltage? by cache you mean CPU cache voltage = 1.15?

Thanks,
Alex

Menthol wrote:

2. CPI Input voltage should be around 1.92 to 1.95 with LLC 5 or 6, this will allow some vdroop under full load

Got my M.2 back by setting the LLC to 7. Temps seem to got a little jump. Is it save to run at LLC 7?