cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair 110i GTX vs H110i GT noise level + performance.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Hey awesome ROG folks!

I just wanted to ask you guys your experience and the difference between the corsair H110i GTX and the H110i GT.

I have the GTX myself and consindering sending it back, or atleast having it tweaked, due to it maybe being too loud or being set to a wrong setting.

I can see the shop I bought my computer from, have switched to GT. So I wanted to know if its just me "the settings that needs tweaking" or if the GT is surely the better product, noice and performance wise.

I really like my computer low noice wise, if possiable thought.

RMA it or not, will be someting I find out if its possiable, if at all. But atleast I wanted to check, if I had to get it replaced, what of the two I would pick, to get it replaced with.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_h110i_gt_review/1 - GT review.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7320/corsair-hydro-h110i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-rev... - GTX review
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My current build:

Monitor: Alienware Optx AW2310 23" Wide TFT 120Hz Black.

CPU: 5960X

Cooler: Corsair 110i GTX

PSU: Corsair AXi Series AX1500i 80+ Titanium

GPU: Sli 980ti Strix.

Mob: Asus Rampage V Extreme/3.1 USB.

Ram: HyperX Predator 32GB 3000Mhz

System: Samsung pro 1TB

Storage: Western Digital Black 4TB

Drive: Asus Blueray/DvD

Case: NZXT 820 Phantom.

Cablemod - "Red and Black"
11 REPLIES 11

Korth
Level 14
Liquid-cooling is not really all that it promises to be in terms of silent computing. It's generally quieter than air-cooling only at the higher end where it's more efficient at "spot-cooling" specific components (like CPUs or CPUs) which would otherwise require more/bigger/faster/stronger fans to sustain intake of cool air, force it across huge heatsinks, then exhaust it out of chassis.

But liquid coolers still need almost the same number of fans on their rads, plus at least one or two for general chassis airflow (to cool motherboard, memory, drives, etc), plus they have a pump and gurgling blocks and tubes and reservoirs. Worse, the rads tend to be mounted on chassis locations which are "exposed" the most to the operator, where the noise produced from the fans is most audible.

All told, there's little question that liquid cooling (vs air cooling) has somewhat superior overall efficiency and definitely superior efficiency at the high end, so it's the "best" choice when you need maximum heat moved off your parts to achieve maximum (overclocked) performances. But there's little you can do to reduce actual noise output other than selecting a "quiet" PC chassis which dampens noise or simply throttling down all your fans when they're not actually needed.

I see that the main difference between the H110i GTX and H110i GT is the rad dimensions (along with the fan performance curve). Bigger rad means better cooling, more surface area and fin geometry to dissipate heat, even somewhat longer runtimes before cooling performance is diminished because all your liquid gets "saturated" with heat. If you're already willing to mod your stock AIO cooler then you can already do better than what the Corsair AIO kits provide - attach the biggest and best rad (and fans) you can to your existing H110i CPU block, whether it's made by Corsair or not.

Your particular system might have "better" (or at least quieter) cooling with a large air cooler. Not sure how much cooling you need or how "extreme" your performance/overclocking needs to be.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I have the GTX myself and consindering sending it back, or atleast having it tweaked, due to it maybe being too loud or being set to a wrong setting.

I can see the shop I bought my computer from, have switched to GT. So I wanted to know if its just me "the settings that needs tweaking" or if the GT is surely the better product, noice and performance wise.

This cooler has Corsair link i believe, to control the fans and pump? Do you have it installed? You should be able to change the fans speeds to your liking.

quark54
Level 8
Have to agree. I have a 6700k @ 4.6 Ghz. GTX 980 Ti.

CPU cooling is via a Noctua NH-D15S. Super quiet and cools great. I've never been a fan of AIO coolers. And guess what... AIO cooler manufacturers cheat somewhat. They fit high RPM nosier fans, compared with Noctua big tower coolers. So if you were to compare something like the D14/15/15S and an AIO, with the same fans, there's barely any diference between them.

Even if you don't do that, the mighty [and noisy] Kraken X61 is only four degrees cooler than the NH-D15.

The other point of course, is that even though AIO leaks seem to be rare, a big tower air cooler can't possibly leak, has no pump to fail or become noisy and lasts a lifetime.

I read a post the other day, where an AIO cooler owner was commenting on how much hassle he had trying to get a certain manufacturer to compensate him for his damaged graphics card as a result of a leaking AIO. The company in question, who formerly offered full compensation, has now set a limit to how much they will pay you. Basically if the damn thing leaks and your card is damaged, you end up with a cheaper, less powerful card. Unless you fork out the extra funds yourself of course.

Korth
Level 14
Yes, liquid coolers can leak. AIO coolers are factory-sealed, perhaps they're less prone to leakage than home-built coolers, perhaps not.

But huge air coolers with heavy heatsinks can strain mobos when installed in vertical orientations (dangled right off the processor socket!) in towers - the most common and popular installation method. And they can take up a huge amount of space inside the chassis. They can even be so huge that one must be very careful in choosing chassis, motherboard, RAM, and even the adjacent GPU/PCIe card.

AIO liquid cooler kits usually take pride in their block and rad but cheap out on the pump and fans. Air coolers usually take pride in their massively metal heatsink but cheap out on the heatpipes and fans. Both types can often benefit greatly from fan upgrades. Style, bling, and fancy LEDs are always nice to have but never worth sacrificed cooling performance. Noctua's NH-D15 (and derivative) air coolers aren't the absolute "best" available, but they are the "best" overall because they're high quality throughout and aren't held back by any weak design/part choices - too bad they're so ugly, lol, but one can always buy a beautiful black nichrome electroplating job for about ten bucks.

I generally prefer large air coolers, myself. But I'll use liquid coolers or AIO/CLC coolers when needed. They each have their uses.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Thanks for all the replies!*

But I am more curious about which of the product does better, since there is a chance I can switch my GTX out with GT.
Unless its an easy solved problem, but I am sending the machine in to the shop, because of*other problems too.

So I rather we focus on which of the two products is the best, noice and performance wise 🙂

Its only a question between those two products really, or common problems with them. So that I got something within my RMA that I can write, beside what they already know. I am able to get a replacement between those two products really, either a GTX or GT should it turned out my cooler is faulty. - If not, they are quite cable of adjusting, lucky.
​​​​​​​
Just need which of the two products are the best, so when I get my machine back I chose the best of the two 🙂

I don't wanna mod my things either. - That will void my warranty too.

kkn
Level 14
noise as in fans or pump or air in the loop/system?

too mutch air going tru the rad = can have a negative cooling since it will not cool down the fins good enough.
too little air = same as abow but cant push enough air tru the rad fins.

there is a fine balance here witch it all comes down to how good the aorflow and all of that works together.
whats the fan orientation insid ethe case? in and out?++

I just wanted to ask you guys your experience and the difference between the corsair H110i GTX and the H110i GT.

Aswell which of them is the quieter / Cools best / Overall better performer 🙂

Greenfeuer
Level 8
I am not quite sure. But I rather know which of the two coolers, is the best. I will be able to get technical help, but I can't get help with which is the better sadly.

I will come back after advise when I know more thought precisely if there is stil a problem, after the fix 🙂

So faar I only need to know which of the cooler is the better H110i GTX or GT? 😉

I am still happy for the feedback! - But it is important for me to know of which is the better of the two, if they find a problem with it. So I can decied on a replacement, that will be either GTX or GT 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
google h110i gtx vs. h110i gt, basically the same performance, maybe 2 different manufacturers of pumps and or rads, maybe different monitoring and control abilities

Tom's Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2882428/difference-corsair-h110i-h110i-gtx.html

In the end the decision is yours, you have to live with it, do as much research as needed to make an informed decision based on as much information as possible from reviews