cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula RAM Upgrade due to serious problem

piotrtekien
Level 10
Dear ROG Enthousiasts,

For the past 2-3 years I've experienced a serious unsolvable problem with my rig. I've tried everything to fix it, but can't seem to get my head around it after many months of trying. The problem is as followed:

The computer (in my signature) sometimes doesn't boot and shuts down immediately after the first frame of the windows boot animation. There are 2 copies of this computer, one at work and one at home. I've tried the following things:
- Flashing an older version of the bios via FreeDOS
- Resetting CMOS
- Removing the bios battery for 20 minutes and reflash
- Tried different bios versions
- Formatted windows
- Removed 2x 8 gb sticks and left 2x 8gb in the red slots
- Contacted Asus support and told me I have a faulty ram stick or mobo, which I don't think is the case because the problem occurs at both computers.
Also to note, the problem didn't occur in the first few months after building the computer, it has been triggered by something, probably a bios update which glitched something.
- Other people said they had the same problem after seating the mPCIE WiFi Bluetooth combo card

(TEMPORARY FIX)
My temporary fix is to enter the bios and then exit, as it seems to kickstart the ram for some reason, but this is just making me tired.

I've had the following numbers on my mobo display when booting with this problem: 96 > 95 > A2 > 55(Memory not installed) > AE > A0 > Shutdown
The RAM in my signature was not on the QVL list when building the computer, but I assumed that was okay considering that the ram should work without switching on the XMP profile.

So my question is, will buying new ram solve my problem? I saw the following ram modules in the 2400MHz section of the QVL pdf list (Maximus V Formula)

32GB ( 4x 8GB )
G.SKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD(XMP)
Timings: 10-12-12-31
Voltage: 1.65

And I was wondering if I could split this 4x 8gb kit into 2x 8gb (for home) and 2x 8gb (for work) to save some cash.

Or is the end result still; faulty memory controller/motherboard?
I'm really clueless after spending 2000 euro in a beast like this and coming across so many problems, which I wanted to avoid by spending more.

I would be grateful forever for a solution, this has been so stressful. Thank you in advance lovely community!
Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
Mobo: Maximus V Formula
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 32GB DDR3
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Disk: SSD 1.5TB
Disk: HDD 2TB
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Display: Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED 27", 1ms, 240hz, 1440p, 10-bit, HDR600
Speakers: KRK RP7 G4

Laptop - Asus ROG GL702VS-GC198T
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Display: 1920x1080 @75Hz, IPS, G-Sync, 1ms
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Disk: M2 SSD 256GB
Disk: HDD 1TB
2 REPLIES 2

Tolek76
Level 7
Hi.I have similar problems witch my Patriot memory i just fix randomly i have to changing every single stick to every slots something like juggling for no problems if i put wrong bone to wrong slot don't work.Funny things is i testing long time memtest without any errors.Sry for my bad English.Greetings

piotrtekien
Level 10
So you fixed it by switching the ram sticks with each other until there was one combination that fixed your problems?
Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
Mobo: Maximus V Formula
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 32GB DDR3
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Disk: SSD 1.5TB
Disk: HDD 2TB
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Display: Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED 27", 1ms, 240hz, 1440p, 10-bit, HDR600
Speakers: KRK RP7 G4

Laptop - Asus ROG GL702VS-GC198T