cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White/bright pixel(s)

TwoSteps
Level 7
My current setup is sporting three Asus ROG PG279Q. I picked them up about a month ago, new from store.

Today I noticed something disturbing on one of them, there is a brighter dot shining through everything. Sorry for the poor picture. Is this a dead pixel, or whatever they’re called? I tried a video on YouTube flashing all kind of colours for a bit, it didn't do any difference. I also used the “tool” jscreenfix.com provide, solving nothing. What else is there to do? Get the screen back to the store for a replacement?
21 REPLIES 21

Janne-71
Level 7
You can replace it, that monitor has zero bright dot warranty for a year.

Janne-71 wrote:
You can replace it, that monitor has zero bright dot warranty for a year.

I called Asus and the guy I talked to was a bit unfriendly, to say the least. Anyway, he told me that if I went to the store instead they would most likely just ask me to contact Asus anyway.

I've sent in some pictures of the spot via the support pages and are awaiting a reply.

TwoSteps wrote:
I called Asus and the guy I talked to was a bit unfriendly, to say the least. Anyway, he told me that if I went to the store instead they would most likely just ask me to contact Asus anyway.

I've sent in some pictures of the spot via the support pages and are awaiting a reply.

Unfriendly or not if it has dead pixel they have to replace it. It is warranty. I did so when i had 1 dead pixel i just sent them a pic on black background and that was it. They sent me replacement i didn't have to do anything it came to my doorstep and swapped the old monitor.

So I got the RMA accepted. I’ve decided to send the faulty screen back and get it replaced. I am not going to be able to look past that bright spot on one of the screens so this seems like the logical move.

I read the RMA page for how to send it back and it states that it is recommended to put the original box into another box. Anyone who bought a PG279Q knows it is a hell of a large box. As a matter of fact I couldn’t even get a larger box, from anywhere around me. I called Asus and asked what to do. Again, the person answering was incredibly rude and didn’t come up with any solution at all.

Hate is a word a use very rarely but at this point I really HATE Asus support. It seems they are all of the same type, uninterested, rude and generally messed up somehow. At least on the Swedish support. I can't imagine it is as bad in other countries, if so, then that is very sad. When I asked what I should do he simply hang up on me. I will for sure look at other brands in the future.

DON’T BUY ANYTHING WITH AN ASUS LABEL ON IT.

Anyway, I am sending the screen back in the box it came in. It has a badge on it from being sent in the same box already so I don’t know why that should be enough this time.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
How much does it bother you while using the monitor for its main purpose (I assume Gaming)? usually you will only see a bright spot on very bright solid uniform colors and not during moving images.
Is it worth it to you to swap it and possibly get a worse monitor?
Does your monitor have an other flaws other than lack of quality 3m(10') displayport 1.2 cables in Sweden?

Your options are swap it at the store if its still within return period or if you purchased an extended replacement plan, or call Asus and see if your monitor qualifies for RMA
Heres the Asus policy https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/696/

I have a few bright spots on my Iphone which I stare at all day that doesn't bother me and also I think I have a bright spot I noticed on my PG279Q at some point but I forgot where it was at because I don't use my computer screen to stare at white images for 10-20 minutes to find it and be annoyed by it. If I do notice it and I'm working in a word document or I'm browsing the web I doesn't bother me at all since in about 5 minutes I'll be playing Gears 4 or Battlefield at 1440p ultra up to 165fps so I tend to forget about my bright spot easily.

My opinion would be to keep it if that's the only bright spot and only issue. If your monitor has a borderline return amount of Back light Bleed or color uniformity issues in addition to that bright spot. That might make it more worth it to return it. It all depends on how much that bright spot is going to bother you during your main use.

Also you have three of these for your setup so you could set this one as a side display if you have a different one that is flawless for your center.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
How much does it bother you while using the monitor for its main purpose (I assume Gaming)? usually you will only see a bright spot on very bright solid uniform colors and not during moving images.
Is it worth it to you to swap it and possibly get a worse monitor?
Does your monitor have an other flaws other than lack of quality 3m(10') displayport 1.2 cables in Sweden?

Your options are swap it at the store if its still within return period or if you purchased an extended replacement plan, or call Asus and see if your monitor qualifies for RMA
Heres the Asus policy https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/696/

I have a few bright spots on my Iphone which I stare at all day that doesn't bother me and also I think I have a bright spot I noticed on my PG279Q at some point but I forgot where it was at because I don't use my computer screen to stare at white images for 10-20 minutes to find it and be annoyed by it. If I do notice it and I'm working in a word document or I'm browsing the web I doesn't bother me at all since in about 5 minutes I'll be playing Gears 4 or Battlefield at 1440p ultra up to 165fps so I tend to forget about my bright spot easily.

My opinion would be to keep it if that's the only bright spot and only issue. If your monitor has a borderline return amount of Back light Bleed or color uniformity issues in addition to that bright spot. That might make it more worth it to return it. It all depends on how much that bright spot is going to bother you during your main use.

Also you have three of these for your setup so you could set this one as a side display if you have a different one that is flawless for your center.

Hey man,

Yeah I was thinking of this as well. I don't really have any other issues with the screen, but at the same time such a pricey item should really not have this kind of problems. At the same time, getting a good PG279Q seem to be a lottery. Pretty horrible when you think about it.

I am using it as a "off screen" now for the most part and if Asus decide to ***** too much about solving this matter for me I will swap it to the center where most of the action is going on anyway.

Pending on how they handle this, I will not be getting anything labeled Asus again. The one I spoke to at their support was far from service minded. I've been a "fanboy" for years and never had any real issues. If they decide to not really bother with customer services I will take my future business elsewhere. I reallize it is unfair to judge an entire company by one person working there but he represented them when I called and I am not happy.

TwoSteps wrote:
Hey man,

Yeah I was thinking of this as well. I don't really have any other issues with the screen, but at the same time such a pricey item should really not have this kind of problems. At the same time, getting a good PG279Q seem to be a lottery. Pretty horrible when you think about it.

I am using it as a "off screen" now for the most part and if Asus decide to ***** too much about solving this matter for me I will swap it to the center where most of the action is going on anyway.

Pending on how they handle this, I will not be getting anything labeled Asus again. The one I spoke to at their support was far from service minded. I've been a "fanboy" for years and never had any real issues. If they decide to not really bother with customer services I will take my future business elsewhere. I reallize it is unfair to judge an entire company by one person working there but he represented them when I called and I am not happy.

I wouldn't worry about the "Unfriendly" part of it like you said. it just depends on what they actually do. I have gone through 4 returns of this monitor over about 3 months or so till I received my current one which is pretty solid. It have some BLB and a bright spot or two but other than that its flawless and performs amazing. The thing you need to remember is that we are all early adopters of IPS panels that are more than 60hz capable. I personally am not holding it against Asus and will not stop my business because of an early adopted high end panel with minor flaws. I have done multiple RMA's for graphics cards and a few RMA's for other stuff other the years and have had great response times and support that acted logically and in a good manner and have always honored what they have in their policies.

Side note: If you don't like a guy hangup and call back, you'll most likely get someone else. Also I like to use the Email support...that way you don't have to listen to angry service people. They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works every time. I'll refer you to Bahz's post from a few days ago with another user's issues.

Bahz wrote:
Unfortunately with all IPS panels especially with the high specification panels, there are going to be faults regardless. As some have mentioned, everyone has different expectations and usually for most people it's very high. Now with all the issues with IPS panels, people proactively try to look for an issue and hence the reason for so many returns. I can assure you at the time of testing each of the 3 monitors that you had so far didn't have any stuck pixels and the bleeding was within the industry recommended standard for these QC passed panel. Please note that it's an LCD after all and through shipping and temperature changes can cause the liquid crystals to shift and why some people are amazed how that certain monitor passed QC, well if it wasn't like that during QC testing then there's nothing we can do. I always recommend to those who expect nothing but perfect to hold off on IPS panels for now because the technology is still not mature enough for high specification panels and they're easily susceptible to conditions causing the panels to have high variability of change. In my personal opinion it's probably still better to stick with a high quality TN panel and wait another 2-3 years before going with IPS. I've already heard from more than 10 people who had extremely bad bleeding when they first purchased the product and they just lowered the brightness and ignored it, a few weeks/months later they turned up the brightness and the bleeding was almost completely gone. Of course this didn't occur with everyone that owned this monitor but there's quite a few cases and I believe this ties into my theory of these panels having "high variability for change" due to conditions.

It's very sad to hear that a long time customer like yourself decide to give up on a brand because of the recent issues with the purchase of this monitor, but please take in consideration that it's more so of a technology limitation rather than the QC efforts from ASUS. I hear everyday how someone either went from a bad experience with Acer IPS panel and then got a much better panel with ASUS or vice versa. The truth is that we get the same panels from the same supplier who QC'd all panels and stuck a QC passed sticker on each panel and we both QC'd those panels again, but through third party testing, ASUS was determined to have much more strict QC standards than Acer.

For your case, I can only recommend that you continue to exchange monitors until you get one that fits within your expectations or consider a TN panel like PG278Q instead.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Take a picture of your serial number sticker with the model number and stuff on it. Lets you know if they replaced the screen on the one you purchased or swapped it with a different serial number altogether. Not sure if you care about that or not but it's good to have your serial numbers handy so support doesn't try and give you a run around on something just because you can't produce a serial number.

My opinion on this is that you will get the same experience or worse from most other companies. I wouldn't rate an entire company based on a few of their customer service reps. The product I have on my desk at the end of my work day is a great product. I have never heard of ASUS not honoring a warranty that they have stated on their site. In your case they are going to fix the issue and if you want to base an entire company off the 2 or 3 service reps. then I guess that's ok but I would try to base it off the products you end up with. If the products I purchase from them over time all end up being garbage in a few months then I would start looking at avoiding them but so far I have been taken well care of by them with a lot of products and RMA's when under warranty.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Update. I got the replacement monitor today. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but it wasn't. I ended up waiting all day for a package that never came. Instead, after calling a couple of different numbers I finally got it delivered today. Not exactly to my door but close enough. Companies these days doesn't seem to care about customers, that is for sure.

The "new" monitor is obviously a refurbished one; "Cleaned by...". There is a new sticker above the old serial number on the bottom of screen. There seem to be no dead pixels on this one. However I had to clean it up myself before use, it was actually dirty. There is also a scratch mark on the foot but it doesn't really bother me to be honest. I am not really satisfied with how this was managed but if the monitor doesn't come up with any other flaws I will not give it another go with the support.

About the demand of packing a box in a box as the RMA-pages states. The "new" monitor did come in its original box and nothing else. It really looks like crap and I would be ashamed of sending out something like that to a customer. The boxes I've got from before are in somewhat mint condition. It's not really a great deal but I prefer keeping my stuff in good order.

Anyhow, let's hope this is the last I have to do with Asus support, at least until they swap the people working in the swedish office around. I actually thought about giving them 10 separate calls about something they could solve over the phone and see what kind of responses I would get. Even if my current experience tells me otherwise, I have a hard time believing they could actually all be as bad as the ones I've spoken to.

Thank you guys for the imput in this thread.