cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The flashback button does not seem to work

paquechu
Level 7
What I have done is:

1. Download the bios from the official asus page.
2. Unzip the file
3. Rename the file to M8H.CAP
4. Formatting a flash drive in FAT32 (ALSO I TESTED WITH NTFS)
5. Copy the M8H.CAP file to the pendrive
6. Turn off the computer, leaving the power supply ON
7. Insert the Pendrive into the flashback port
8. Press the flashback button for 3 or 4 seconds (and sometimes longer)

But the result is that the button does not light at any time

It seems that the board detects that it has the pendrive inserted since the light of the pendrive if light.

Any idea what can happen?

--------
Maximus VIII Hero
i7-6700K
PSU: EVGA 850 G2
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Are you renaming only the file and transferring only the file, not the folder to the root of the USB drive?*

Other than that I've been clearing the cmos first so you are at default settings before flashing and I've been shutting the PSU off inserting the drive then switching it on followed by pushing and holding the flashback button until the button (also on M8E bios light) begins the flash on and off. *Problem is I've seChed myself high and low in manuals and on the support site and there seems to be no clear cut instructions for this. It should be in the section in the manual instead of a very vague description that has no detail at all. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hello JustinThyme, thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I copied the file only to the pendrive with the name M8H.CAP.

Following your instructions, if I have understood correctly I have done this:

1. Download the bios from the official asus page.
2. Unzip the file
3. Rename the file to M8H.CAP
4. Formatting a flash drive in FAT32 (ALSO I TESTED WITH NTFS)
5. Copy only the M8H.CAP file to the pendrive
6. Turn off the computer, leaving the power supply ON
7. Clear CMOS.
8. Power Off PSU
9. Insert the Pendrive into the flashback port
10. Turn on PSU
11. Press the flashback button for 3 or 4 seconds (and sometimes for longer)

The button does not light up at any time

Greetings.

gendalf
Level 7
Hi, check my post at https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback&p=608818&viewf...
I have Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly mainboard and to perform USB BIOS Flashback, I had to unplug all PCIe cards, keeping only CPU and 1 RAM out of 4. Only then it worked fine.

gendalf wrote:
Hi, check my post at https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback&p=608818&viewf...
I have Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly mainboard and to perform USB BIOS Flashback, I had to unplug all PCIe cards, keeping only CPU and 1 RAM out of 4. Only then it worked fine.

Hi gendalf, I will try this method as son as possible
Thank you very much 🙂

gendalf wrote:

It doesn't make any difference when using Flashback or EZ update to remove anytrhing from the board or clear CMOS (the new BIOS wil erase the old one and set settings to default) . I've been using flasback eveytime and never encountered any problem. Just download the BIOS. Format the USB /Fat32. Rename the bios to what it says. Shut down the computer. Put in the usb drive with the BIOS, in the top left usb port (only this is for Flashback) press the flashback button for 3 seconds and update begins.

Problem could be 2 or 3 things. Bad USB connection on the USB drive. Try to see if the USB connector is bent..... Using wrong USB port at the back. If unsure look in the manual and look for back IO..... Use diskpart to clear the USB stick and format with fat32. (the usb disk could be holding partitions if used for something else like recovery disk or Acronis). There should be only 1 partition on the USB disk.

emsir wrote:
It doesn't make any difference when using Flashback or EZ update to remove anytrhing from the board or clear CMOS (the new BIOS wil erase the old one and set settings to default) . I've been using flasback eveytime and never encountered any problem. Just download the BIOS. Format the USB /Fat32. Rename the bios to what it says. Shut down the computer. Put in the usb drive with the BIOS, in the top left usb port (only this is for Flashback) press the flashback button for 3 seconds and update begins.

Problem could be 2 or 3 things. Bad USB connection on the USB drive. Try to see if the USB connector is bent..... Using wrong USB port at the back. If unsure look in the manual and look for back IO..... Use diskpart to clear the USB stick and format with fat32. (the usb disk could be holding partitions if used for something else like recovery disk or Acronis). There should be only 1 partition on the USB disk.

Hi emsir,
Some users comment that it is more reliable to flash the bios using the flashback method to ensure that there is no residual garbage in the bios, so I wanted to try this method since I have problems with shutdown, hibernation and computer suspension.

I have read the manual of the board many times and I have seen some videos of how to perform this process of flashback, even for the plate that I have (maximus viii hero), so I have clear which is the flashback port and also how You must proceed. I have also read that the pendrive should not be large, I have tested with 4Gb and I just checked that the disk has a single partition and it appears as correct on the diskpart. I have tried with other pendrives also if this is the problem although when I connect the pendrive to a normal usb port, it works correctly.

The truth is that it is desperate.

Maybe it's a motherboard problem, it's revision 1.01 Could this be the problem?

For now I can only test what gendalf comments as soon as I find a moment.

Thank you very much for taking part
Greetings.

Hi,
I try the steps of gendalf successfully 🙂
Thanks

JustinThyme
Level 13
Glad to hear it. Just FYI the flashback can be done with nothing in the board. Just the ATX power connection and the USB plugged in.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hello

Sorry to hook up this thread but what if the usb flash drive not even lights up? on another similar board this works flawlessly.
USB port should ne the right one but also tested others. usb stick not even lights up shortly!

Thank you