cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to configure 3 pin fan in DC Mode (H110M-R)

gonza1993
Level 7
hello guys, i'm new here.

i bought a 120mm cooler master fan wich has 3 pins conecction, my mobo has 4 pin connector. i tried to configure bios and set ch_fan in DC mode, but i only have two options: PWM mode, disabled.

i really want to control fan's speed since it's a 2000 RPM fan, so it's a bit noisy at full load. but i can't find a way to use it in DC mode to control fan's speed BIOS q-fan doesn't let me put it in DC mode. maybe it has something to do with my cpu fan being 4 pin?

thanks in advance 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Shouldn't matter how many pins. My M8E has all 4 pin fan headers and they can all be configured for DC or PWM. *I've not tried DC only fans for multiple reasons. *If you want a light on the fan it will dim with DC control and I've found PWM fans much quieter are the two biggest.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

quark54
Level 8
Which motherboard? Asus boards have had the capability to control the speed of DC fans for ages.

My board has the option for PWM, DC or Disabled.

JustinThyme wrote:
Shouldn't matter how many pins. My M8E has all 4 pin fan headers and they can all be configured for DC or PWM. *I've not tried DC only fans for multiple reasons. *If you want a light on the fan it will dim with DC control and I've found PWM fans much quieter are the two biggest.*

yeah i know PWM fans are better, but i've purchased a 3 pin without knowing about this issue, and since i opened the fan package i can't get a refund :confused:
my last desktop PC i had was about 6 years ago, so i totally forgot to look for compatibility first 😕

quark54 wrote:
Which motherboard? Asus boards have had the capability to control the speed of DC fans for ages.

My board has the option for PWM, DC or Disabled.

yeah i know Asus motherboards have compatibility with 3 pin fans, but for some reason i can't choose that mode, it simply doesn't show it to me. the mobo is a H110M-R for LGA 1151

in the image above, you can see in the red box how bios talks about 3 modes, but in the blue box you can see that i can only choose two

thanks for your answers guys 🙂