Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Maximus IX Code - Error q code 55, B1, CC

xherics
Level 7
[SOLUTION: in post #3 ]

Hello,

I would like to kindly ask you for a help with my new PC.

Maximus IX Code mainboard (90MB0SE0-M0EAY0)
Core i7 7700K CPU (BX80677I77700K)
Samsung 960EVO 1TB SSD (MZ-V6E1T0BW)
Kingston 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 HyperX Predator RAM (HX432C16PB3K4/32) - compatible, listed in QVL list with 1,35V
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 V2 water cooler (CW-9060025-WW)
CoolerMaster V1000 (RS-A00-AFBA-G1)
Creative ZxR Sound Card with DBPro
Asus nVidia GF 710Ti (I am waiting for 1080Ti 🙂 )

I carefully assembled my PC, which booted without problems and POST was successful. In BIOS I turned on Virtualization and VT-D, then applied it, MB got restarted.

Then I went again into BIOS and wanted to set up the XMP profile for the RAM. The change was not saved yet, I was looking for some more options in BIOS: BOOT order, CSM, enabled UEFI only, etc., and the BIOS got frozen while I was making the setup. So I restarted it and the computer did not want to load anymore, neither POST.

Q code error: B1, 55, CC and these randomly repeated after each restart and BIOS button reset, MB battery reset, MemOK button reset - nothing helped.

B1 means Runtime Set virtual MAP address
55 means Memory not installed
CC is not listed in the manual.

For B1 and 55 the yellow RAM error LED was active, for CC the red CPU error LED was active on the MB.

So, I took out the RAMs and inserted just one. After thins system POST OK. But when I inserted also the second RAM, again the same problems.

When I ise 2 or more pieces of RAM, it does not matter if Dual Channel or just for example in A1 and B2, the MB doest not POST or BOOT, just yellow or red error led with the mentioned codes.

When I use only one piece of RAM, it does not matter which ram slot on the MB (A1 or B1 or A2 or B2), system is OK, post is OK, system can BOOT.

I tried to increase the RAM voltage to 1,35 as it is listed with these V in the QVL, but did not help. I flashed the newest bios 0701, but same result.

I googled a bit, so I checked the CPU socket, seems to be OK. Checked the cooler, seems to be OK assembled - tried to loosen the screws, but did not help.
I took out the MB from the case to try, but same result.

RAMs seems to be Ok, I tested each in the same MB slot, I mean one by one.

Well, this is not my first PC assembling, I am an IT employee for 7 years, I already assembled more hundred PCs... But this is my first time, so I have a problem.

Please, what can cause these problems? The ram controller in the CPU or MB?
23 REPLIES 23

Well, after a few days of testing and trying to start the computer with the given hardware, seems that the RAM what I purchased is not compatible with the motherboard.

So, Maximus IX Code mainboard (PN: 90MB0SE0-M0EAY0) IS NOT compatible with Kingston 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 HyperX Predator RAM (PN: HX432C16PB3K4/32).

Asus SHOULD REMOVE this RAM from the list of the compatible RAMs - QVL!

I got exchanged the first motherboard, the RAM as well, after I assembled the PC again, same result! Then I got exchanged also the CPU for a new piece of 7700k, same result!

Then I borrowed other RAM from my friend (XMP3000MHz and JEDEC2133Mhz), well, PC started imediately, without problems.

After tihs I tested 2 more RAM sets, which has JEDEC 2400MHz, neither worked!

So I had to return the XMP3200MHz ram which has JEDEC 2400mhz and purchase a XMP3000Mhz which has JEDEC2133MHz.

Final SOLUTION:
Seems, the mainboard is not yet compatible with JEDEC2400Mhz new RAMs.
Tested it with 3 various RAM models of 2 vendors (KingStone and Corsair) and with a combination of 2 pieces of Intel Core i7 7700K, on 2 pieces of motherboards. Neither worked.
But no problems with JEDEC2133MHz modules at all.

Chino wrote:
Try setting up your RAM manually instead of using XMP.

There was not possible to enter BIOS with the mentioned RAM.

The computer started with ONE piece inserted (the DIMM nr. does not matter), but after I inserted the second one, it did not start again.

The MB made automatically and every time when I inserted or removed any piece of ram a reset of the RAM settings, something like SafeRAM button. So I was not able to do any configuration. But as I described in a separate post, the RAM is not compatible with the board and seems, no JEDEC 2400Mhz RAM is compatible...

xherics wrote:
no JEDEC 2400Mhz RAM is compatible...

Looks like that might be the case due to the kaby lake memory controller. I am having the same problem with an older set of HyperX 3000 4x8gb on a z170 gene viii with the latest 3007 bios. Code 55 with all sticks. Pretty sure the JEDEC is 2133 for them. Not sure if it can be fixed through the bios, but I'm not waiting around to find out.

bmac1191 wrote:
Looks like that might be the case due to the kaby lake memory controller. I am having the same problem with an older set of HyperX 3000 4x8gb on a z170 gene viii with the latest 3007 bios. Code 55 with all sticks. Pretty sure the JEDEC is 2133 for them. Not sure if it can be fixed through the bios, but I'm not waiting around to find out.

If I am not mistaken, the Z170 motherboard chip has no support for jedec 2400, just for 2133. A simple reason for this is, so i7 6xxx CPUs have support for DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V. Neither the data sheets mention 2400 for cpu 6xxx and MB chip.
So for Z170 I suppose, that no jedec 2400 is possible because of hardware restriction.

But for Z270 and i7 7xxx CPUs it should work natively. The data sheet for the CPU and MB chip says: DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V.
I tried 2 pieces of 7700K without success. If it is the CPU memory controller, it will be a global problem on every pieces.
I suppose, that the problem is MB related, maybe bios/uefi, not CPU.

I had a similar issue with the Maximus IX Hero. I have Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16B 3200 RAM. When I put one stick in, the system booted fine. When I put the second stick in, I would get the error 55. Sometimes, I could get the system to boot, but it would be unstable and would reboot after awhile. I was about to give up when I read someplace on one of these forums to adjust the CPU VCCIO and CPU System Agent voltages. I enabled the XMP profile and Maximus Tweak Mode 1, increased CPU VCCIO to 1.16250, and increased CPU System Agent voltage to 1.15000. Since then, I have been running on both sticks without any problem.

Fawalken wrote:
I had a similar issue with the Maximus IX Hero. I have Corsair CMU32GX4M2C3200C16B 3200 RAM. When I put one stick in, the system booted fine. When I put the second stick in, I would get the error 55. Sometimes, I could get the system to boot, but it would be unstable and would reboot after awhile. I was about to give up when I read someplace on one of these forums to adjust the CPU VCCIO and CPU System Agent voltages. I enabled the XMP profile and Maximus Tweak Mode 1, increased CPU VCCIO to 1.16250, and increased CPU System Agent voltage to 1.15000. Since then, I have been running on both sticks without any problem.

What is your dram voltage set to? I'm having issues with my IX hero. Constant error code 01 for ram and 49 for CPU. If you have any pics of your BIOS that would be great. I'm more of a visual learner and I've been trying to fix my PC for the past two months and I've almost had it.
Jonathan Jung

Hello I come back, again the same problem impossible to use 2 RAM (2*8go ddr4 3000), I tried all the settings given on the forum, its walking 3 or 4 days and after the problem comes back, Qled 55 , CC, with 1 ram no problem, please asus fix the probleme please new bios

I was having intermittent Code 55 issues on boot with my 4x8GB G.Skill 3200C14 set. It would boot most of the time, but sometimes it would just hang up on a cold boot or restart. It completely fails to Post if I have Memory Training enabled, so I had to do a lot of searching random forums and eventually found someones complete First|Second|Tertiary Timings table for their RAM at 3733C16 or C17, can't remember exactly. Copied those, disabled memory training and I currently have the set running fully stable at 3600C16 and working on slowly tightening up their timings to make sure I am not leaving any performance on the table.