cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single GPU only running in x8 mode on RVE10

chrisk2305
Level 7
Hi,

I recently noticed in GPU-Z that my Titan X is only running on 3.0 x8 instead of 3.0 x16. I have a Intel Dual Port 10GBe NIC installed in the last slot and also an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot (Intel 6000p). I then swapped the NIC in the third slot and suddenly had the GPU running on all 16 lanes (confirmed in BIOS and GPU-Z). So I thought I solved it but the next day I started the Computer the GPU was back to x8! I have a 6950X CPU so I should have more than enough lanes. What is wrong here? Bios is the latest as of today.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
24 REPLIES 24

hassan_pervaiz2
Level 7
Check another gpu. Or on top right of motherboard. there are 4 pci switches. make sure everything is turned on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chrisk2305
Level 7
all switches are on. Already tested an other GPU and same behaviour persists. Pulled out the NIC and the GPU still stays on x8. Also tried reseating the card (which is a bit of a challenge as the system is watercooled with hard tubes.

Chino
Level 15
chrisk2305 wrote:
Hi,

I recently noticed in GPU-Z that my Titan X is only running on 3.0 x8 instead of 3.0 x16. I have a Intel Dual Port 10GBe NIC installed in the last slot and also an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot (Intel 6000p). I then swapped the NIC in the third slot and suddenly had the GPU running on all 16 lanes (confirmed in BIOS and GPU-Z). So I thought I solved it but the next day I started the Computer the GPU was back to x8! I have a 6950X CPU so I should have more than enough lanes. What is wrong here? Bios is the latest as of today.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sometimes the GPU downclocks to save energy. Did you click the ? mark to run the render test?

chrisk2305
Level 7
sure, I even tried furmark and various benchmarks 😞

Brighttail
Level 11
The R5E10 has been weird for me in that fashion too. I have two of my PCI-e slots that have m.2 drives in them. I have my GPU in my first slot. At this point it works at x16 and my two m.2's work at x4. If I put anything tho in the fourth slot, I drop to x8.

What is weird tho, is now that I took that fourth slot out, my BIOS is showing NOTHING in slot 1 but it thinks that slot #2 has the GPU in it and it is running at x16 but has a big explanation point on it. Resetting CMOS and reloading in the BIOS doesn't really seem to help. It is very weird. Everything works fine but the GPU screen is simply reporting wrong.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

chrisk2305
Level 7
that is indeed very strange. I am currently tearing my system completely apart and build it up new. Lets see if that helps.

Brighttail
Level 11
I actually fixed mine. I took all items out of my PCI-e slots. Cleared CMOS and did a BIOS flash to 902 with only my GPU in. It registered as x16. I was then able to install my other PCI-e items and they came up as x4 each with the GPU correctly still at x16
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

chrisk2305
Level 7
rebuilt it and saw that the watercooler of my titan xp was touching the sata ports of the board. I then filed a piece of the plastic from the watercooler so the card perfectly sits in the slot. Just turned it on and the freaking card is still only running on x8. Please assist. Thx

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Check that the GPU is fully free from interference from making good contact in the slot...make sure case, motherboard parts, cables or watercooling tubing are not pulling/pushing it in any way.

What water cooler was making contact with SATA ports? Mine do too but perfectly flush...i.e. there is no upward pressure on card from SATA port...just aligned exactly horizontally.

PCIe controler is on CPU of course so maybe check for uneven pressure on CPU or something of that type from cooling....bent pins?

This at stock BIOS defaults or overclocking?