cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74 Model Question and Inquiries.

Skye
Level 7
Hi, I'm getting a gaming laptop as a graduation gift and choosing ALIENWARE is just too pricy right now.
I can't get a desktop since I will be leaving the country soon after graduation and the space I will move into doesn't have space yet for a desktop pc.

I was asking around and they said that the ASUS G74 laptop was good for gaming, however they didn't tell me that the G74 had many models (G74SX-A1, G74SX-XT1, G74SX-91131Z , etc.). They said the A1 was the one for gaming, but I don't think I'll be able to get that and I was wondering what are the TRUE differences of these models? and what G74 model is good for gaming if the A1 is not available. I was hoping to get it with these specs:
Core i7
3GB NVIDIA 560
12GB Ram (8GB doesn't seem as a nice investment but if I don't have any other choice I might look into it)

I tried finding answers through Google about the model differences and no answers besides the fact the (Some have 3D kits and larger/smaller hard disk space)

Thank you and good day.
9 REPLIES 9

wanfeilwong
Level 7
Yes there are different variations, but all G74sx (except best buy version) come stock with an i7, 3GB 560, and minimum 12gb ram.
Let's start with what you really need and price point.
Do you want a:
3D screen?
1920x1080 rez?
bigger/faster hard drive/s?

If you need cheaper there is a best buy version with i7, 1600x900 screen, 2GB 560m.
What country do you live in?
Also know that Hard drives and ram can be upgraded later.
Asus G74sx-xn1

Intel 6230 WiFi/BT | Seagate Momentus XT | Razer Orochi | Sony Ericsson MW600

FenrirMH
Level 9
@Skye Hey you in th UK, would recommend taking a peek here http://www.ebuyer.com/276320-asus-g74sx-3d-gaming-laptop-g74sx-91131z got mine from here and you can also read my review 🙂 Would highly recommend eBuyer, excellent service, next day delivery, brilliant customer support. Also I would highly recommend http://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-asus-rog-g74x-91131z-core-i7-2630qm-15tb-8gb-ddr3-3d-graphics-blu.... SCAN among others is where I got all my components for my 1st PC build, they offer a excellent service as well. Take a peek, chap.
We Adapt, We Survive

G74Sx-91131Z, i7 2630QM 2GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Nvidia 3GB GTX560M, 3D Vision

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/maQR6oe2

@wanfeilwong
the 3d is purely optional for me. resolutions aren't a problem either since it can be adjustable, HDD space isn't much of an issue as well since I will only be putting games in this laptop.

I'm after the ram size (aiming for 12GB) and the 3GB Vid card
I'm mostly gonna use it for games.

@Fenrir
they only have 8GB ones 😞

Skye wrote:
...I'm after the ram size (aiming for 12GB) and the 3GB Vid card
I'm mostly gonna use it for games...

Hi, Skye.

There's not much difference in specs between the G74SX-A1 and the G74SX-91131Z except for the RAM size.
So I would say go for the G74SX-91131Z (you live in the UK?). You can just upgrade the RAM to 12 GB or more later,
since RAMs are cheap these days.. Good luck.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Hi, Skye.

There's not much difference in specs between the G74SX-A1 and the G74SX-91131Z except for the RAM size.
So I would say go for the G74SX-91131Z (you live in the UK?). You can just upgrade the RAM to 12 GB or more later,
since RAMs are cheap these days.. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm going to London in March/April. There is a g74 here but I doubt that it will still be available atleast at late feb (i can buy it if its still available though).
Any ram that would fit could do? I guess a quick trip to PcWorld could fix that huh?

Skye wrote:
...Any ram that would fit could do? I guess a quick trip to PcWorld could fix that huh?

Yes, any RAM with DDR3-1333 would do, since that's the pre-configured stock RAM for all G74.

But it's been concluded here in the forum that RAM with the same brand and having the same timing is the ideal.
So when you'll have your G74, better check the stock brand/model first, then just buy for an upgrade of
the same.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

But over-all any model is good for playing games on high-->MAX settings?

Skye wrote:
But over-all any model is good for playing games on high-->MAX settings?

I think it's a safe bet to say the G74SX (w/ the nVidia 3GB DDR5) CAN play any of the current games you can throw at it. Many games can be played at maximum settings and some games need some tweaking with the
settings, for a more desirable result.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
I think it's a safe bet to say the G74SX (w/ the nVidia 3GB DDR5) CAN play any of the current games you can throw at it. Many games can be played at maximum settings and some games need some tweaking with the
settings, for a more desirable result.

@PILGRIM
You just saved my conscience and guilt.. a bit. Thanks.
Do you know SWTOR? You think I could play that at max?

Any more ideas fellow forumers?