cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW power up key problem

ashfordphilip
Level 7
Hi,

From some weeks i have a problem with my power key, it works completely randomly, now i can not more power up the pc unless spamming the key for some minutes, so I have to leave it on sleep mode all the time.
I tried a lot of things, the strange is that if i open the laptop and try to start it with the upper cover lifted (the one with keyboard and touchpad) it works just fine until I reassemble everything.

If you guys have any suggestions, RMA is not an option unfortunately.

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

Bill
Level 7
Hello ashfordphilip
According to your description, it maybe the power button itself at fault.
I would still recommend RMA for your case if you are not sure what to do, or you can contact your local dealer for assistance, thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello ashfordphilip
According to your description, it maybe the power button itself at fault.
I would still recommend RMA for your case if you are not sure what to do, or you can contact your local dealer for assistance, thank you

It is what i assumed first... Is there any way to check if the key itself is working (like a keyboard tester) or if it is another problem?
Thanks for the answer

ashfordphilip wrote:
It is what i assumed first... Is there any way to check if the key itself is working (like a keyboard tester) or if it is another problem?
Thanks for the answer

Well beside making sure your BIOS is loaded to defaults I don't see any way to check the key other than by pressing it.
If your computer is still under warranty then by all means RMA it, otherwise you can try cleaning your keyboard (you could've spilled something there). You can see if you find a guide on how to open the laptop and remove the keyboard to clean it, while at it if not due to dirt you can try switching the physical power key with another you don't use (like pgdn). If all of this ain't working order a replacement keyboard.
Since I have Posted a thread but not much help since, sorry to ask here : GL552VW-DH71 USB 3.1 C-Type port not showing under Device manager
Is USB c controller showing in your system device manager or just the 3.0 like in mine?

ripublik wrote:
you can try switching the physical power key with another you don't use (like pgdn)

Do you know how to do such a thing and if it is possible?
Thanks for the answer anyway

ashfordphilip wrote:
Do you know how to do such a thing and if it is possible?
Thanks for the answer anyway

Most tricky part should be disassembly and you can watch a similar model getting disassembled by searching on youtube: "[Review] Asus GL552JX Gaming- Disassembly and Fan Cleaning"
Watch out for the three connecting cables before removing the top keyboard panel.
For the keyboard it's a chiclet keyboard so for replacing keys you can see how it is doable with this video : Laptop Keyboard Key Repair Advent Alienware Asus Averatec Clevo eMachines Founder Fujitsu
The company who uploaded the video actually sells keys for the GL552 models.

Could answer my question please? Looking if USB 3.1 is showing or just usb 3.0 in device manager?

ripublik wrote:
Most tricky part should be disassembly and you can watch a similar model getting disassembled by searching on youtube: "[Review] Asus GL552JX Gaming- Disassembly and Fan Cleaning"
Watch out for the three connecting cables before removing the top keyboard panel.
For the keyboard it's a chiclet keyboard so for replacing keys you can see how it is doable with this video : Laptop Keyboard Key Repair Advent Alienware Asus Averatec Clevo eMachines Founder Fujitsu
The company who uploaded the video actually sells keys for the GL552 models.

Could answer my question please? Looking if USB 3.1 is showing or just usb 3.0 in device manager?

Ok thanks a lot, in my device manager is showing only 3.0

Just started like a week ago, I did some looking online if its a keyboard issue, you can find the same keyboard for our model online for about $40 brand new. I will be ordering it next week, to see if it solves the issue.

Did you ever find a solution?

viwil89 wrote:
Just started like a week ago, I did some looking online if its a keyboard issue, you can find the same keyboard for our model online for about $40 brand new. I will be ordering it next week, to see if it solves the issue.

Did you ever find a solution?

Did replacing it fix the issue?