cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 1 - Boot loop with Q-code 00

kaese
Level 10
Honestly I partly bought the Rampage V because BIOS flashing seemed extraordinarily stable with the extra features (2 BIOS ICs, flashback, BIOS copy function).
However, after having flashed one BIOS IC about three times without problems it seems to be dead now (very disappointed, because I dont seem to be the only one).

With the faulty BIOS 1 activated, I am stuck in the boot loop (restarts every ~3 seconds with q-code showing always "00").
Any ideas how I can recover it?

I tried already (of course clearing the CMOS):
- Bios copy (BIOS 2 --> BIOS 1)
- EZ Flashback
with no luck. Note that both procedures seem to be executed well (with blinking LEDs). As I am running V3301 fine on BIOS 2, I tried flashing the same version on BIOS 1.

I have already ordered a 10 € CMOS programmer in China but I would like to avoid using it - and I wonder if would I need a new CMOS-chip anyway or could the faulty one be restoerd with the programmer?
10 REPLIES 10

Nonny
Level 10
kaese wrote:
Honestly I partly bought the Rampage V because BIOS flashing seemed extraordinarily stable with the extra features (2 BIOS ICs, flashback, BIOS copy function).
However, after having flashed one BIOS IC about three times without problems it seems to be dead now (very disappointed, because I dont seem to be the only one).

With the faulty BIOS 1 activated, I am stuck in the boot loop (restarts every ~3 seconds with q-code showing always "00").
Any ideas how I can recover it?

I tried already (of course clearing the CMOS):
- Bios copy (BIOS 2 --> BIOS 1)
- EZ Flashback
with no luck. Note that both procedures seem to be executed well (with blinking LEDs). As I am running V3301 fine on BIOS 2, I tried flashing the same version on BIOS 1.

I have already ordered a 10 € CMOS programmer in China but I would like to avoid using it - and I wonder if would I need a new CMOS-chip anyway or could the faulty one be restoerd with the programmer?

I belive ther is the problem copy BIOS 2 ---> BIOS 1 , here i damaged my Chip also code 00 , for some people this copy function dosent work well and can cause this problem, looks like that chip needs to be replaced , there are BIOS replacemet chips online or i belive here in the forum also are programmer they offer chips also , but the copy funktion is known to be a little bit "critical" i belive you need a "fresh" chip , sorry friend

Greetuings

Nonny

raceitchris
Level 7
I have a similar issue with both of my RVE bios chips, except I hang on Code 19, 62, 94, 95, or 96 and the only way I can get out of this loop is to put the Mobo LN2 jumper ON and turn the slow mode switch ON. Doing this bypasses all the Q-Code errors so the board may boot into windows, however it also means on 40% or so of these boots, that my 5960X locks into .756v 1.2G max setting "mode" and when I reboot again, it will go back to my normal 4.8Ghz 1.37v setting which is rock solid for 4K GTX 1080 Sli gaming as long as i don't reboot again. if I reboot again, I get the 40% chance that this may or may not happen again, of course rebooting until I'm back at 4.8. This happens on every bios version I use and 2101 is by far the safest and what it's currently on.

You mentioned that you bought a programmer. I also bought a programmer. EZP2010 -- "E packet from China". The package was 3 weeks late and took nearly two months to arrive to my Southern California address. Also, be warned and use extreme caution.... when you re-program your new bios chip with the programmer you will be required to insert a "MAC Address" and a "UUID" into the bios programming software, to program into the bios. Since you have your other chip working right now, I recommend that you obtain your MAC Address and UUID off of your other working chip via the programmer and wright it down somewhere so you can insert that specific MAC address and UUID into your newly programmed chip. otherwise if you do not obtain your true UUD/mac address then you will need to come up with a fictitious made up one, and when you boot into windows, your windows will not be genuine and if you have an OEM version of windows , Microsoft will not support you and lead you to their online store to "make a purchase". if you have the retail version then you should be OK (according to MS terms), but even so in this case depending on what Microsoft rep. personality you deal with, you could still be screwed. Additionally if you make up your own UUID/Mac (or just purchase a new chip online without reprogramming it first) then you will have two bios chips on your board with different UUID/Mac Addresses. - Good luck!

Nonny wrote:
but the copy funktion is known to be a little bit "critical" i belive you need a "fresh" chip , sorry friend
Nonny

Sorry to hear that and thanks for the reply buddy. I will order a new chip then.

raceitchris@yahoo.com wrote:
the only way I can get out of this loop is to put the Mobo LN2 jumper ON and turn the slow mode switch ON. Doing this bypasses all the Q-Code errors so the board may boot into windows

I will try the switches on the weekend and report afterwards (however, as I am not even getting errorcodes but I am stuck in 00 I dont have to much of hope.

raceitchris@yahoo.com wrote:

you will be required to insert a "MAC Address" and a "UUID" into the bios programming software, to program into the bios. Since you have your other chip working right now, I recommend that you obtain your MAC Address and UUID off of your other working chip via the programmer and wright it down somewhere so you can insert that specific MAC address and UUID into your newly programmed chip. otherwise if you do not obtain your true UUD/mac address -

I dont dare to put the left working chip into the programmer... 😉 but I believe I can read out UUID and MAC adress easily from windows:
UUID: wmic path win32_computersystemproduct get uuid
MAC: ipconfig

Cheers!

Korth
Level 14
Korth wrote:
Part number for the two BIOS chips (in my R5E mobo) are Winbond "SpiFlash" W25Q128FV. They're just 8-pin DIPs, socket-mounted (not soldered) on the motherboard, easily removed and swapped with simple hand tools. Just simple flash memory chips with 128MB (16MB) capacity, average speed, low cost, rated for <1000 write/rewrite cycles ...

Blank W25Q128FVSIG chips are widely available for about $1 or $2 each. They can be read, written, and rewritten with the widely available CH341A Programmer which costs about $5-$10 and requires one USB port plus some free software.

You can READ the chip from a programmer, no need to WRITE anything or change the chip contents in any way. The CH341A software even allows you to "logically disconnect" the Write-enable pin to ensure even inadvertent/accidental changes are "utterly impossible" for "forensic data recovery" purposes. If you're truly paranoid about the "unreliability" of software (like I am), you can physically cut the pin trace and wire in a DIP switch.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
If you're truly paranoid about the "unreliability" of software (like I am), you can physically cut the pin trace and wire in a DIP switch.

Yes that a great idea: I am paranoid enough to write secure the chip with a hardware mod... 😉
However I do not find the W25Q128FVSIG in DIL format only SO package - where can I get the DIL package?

Korth
Level 14
Yeah, you need the PDIP8 package for the mobo socket. Digi-Key usually has them. AliExpress always has them, though you'll usually have to buy ~10 pieces for ~$20. I bought a dozen DIPs from from SparkFun a couple years ago, though I see they no longer carry the part. I've seen them on ebay, usually vendors stuck with surplus or breaking their bulk orders into slim profits from individual orders. You could try buying directly from Winbond, might be a waste of time but all the asking costs is an email.

You can always use a breakout or adapter to interface a SOIC part with a DIP socket, if you must - this one should be compatible and has nice black PCB! You could attach other hardware (like a Write-enable DIP switch or status LEDs) to this little PCB - I've done such things many times, though not on my R5E mobo. Signal timings/latencies are not critical in this application so it will definitely work, unless you add complexity (like, say, piggyback another PCB with another redundant flash chip onto the circuit) which could sink voltages.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks Korth,
I am going to order a W25Q128* then - however I still have a doubt about buying the right model:
According to this page https://www.elnec.com/en/device/Winbond/W25Q128FV/ the part description of the BIOS IC should have after the "128" an identifier for the supply voltage (either L,V or W) but I cannot identify it in the descriptions given so far here.

Would you have a look if this one will work?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5pcs-New-and-ORIGINAL-WINBOND-W25Q128FVSG-25Q128FVSG-SOP85-/261519959238?hash...

I would build an adapter SO --> DIL so I would basically order the cheapest one.

Cheers!

kaese
Level 10
Good news - the programmer EZP2010 finally arrived and I could revive the dead BIOS chip :-).
Because I am curious, I used the copy function BIOS2-->BIOS1 again. And guess what - it bricked the chip again - only ones were written on the chip and boot loop was again at 00. Now with the programmer no problem and I am running happily on BIOS Version 3501.

But seriously Asus should fix this issue. I am not the only one experiencing this severe bug. It seems to persist still quite some time (I suppose since the early Version 0601).
In general BIOS quality control seems to be a problem with Asus (or this board at least) one can tell already from the BIOS front end where are too many small and annoying negligences.

kaese wrote:
Good news - the programmer EZP2010 finally arrived and I could revive the dead BIOS chip :-).
Because I am curious, I used the copy function BIOS2-->BIOS1 again. And guess what - it bricked the chip again - only ones were written on the chip and boot loop was again at 00. Now with the programmer no problem and I am running happily on BIOS Version 3501.

But seriously Asus should fix this issue. I am not the only one experiencing this severe bug. It seems to persist still quite some time (I suppose since the early Version 0601).
In general BIOS quality control seems to be a problem with Asus (or this board at least) one can tell already from the BIOS front end where are too many small and annoying negligences.

Hi yes after having this issue a long time ago with BIOS 3501 I thought I also would brave the BIOS copy function again, but same issue, got tangled in lots of "BIOS updating loops" and QCODE 00., Dug out the BATRONIX and reprogrammed with an old copy of 1701 I have from my last problems, and reloaded. Oddly could not load 3501 by flashing from in the BIOS and USB, had to use the ROG connect method, which then got me back to 3501.