cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD during reboots only - Machine Check Exception

pphx459
Level 7
Hey guys, when I enable fast boot and disable CSM, I get a machine check exception bsod everytime I reboot the system. This is not an issue if I do a cold boot. I also tried enabling CSM, but that didn't help.

Can someone explain why this happens or how I can enable fast boot without a bsod?

This is on a rampage V Extreme bios 3501.

Windows 10 was installed as UEFI and is booting off a m.2 951.

Edit: Jsut did more tests and if I do SATA: all devices instead of boot drive only then the BSOD goes away. I was hoping to cut down post times by not initializing any other devices.
1 REPLY 1

Zarathustraa
Level 7
pphx459 wrote:
Hey guys, when I enable fast boot and disable CSM, I get a machine check exception bsod everytime I reboot the system. This is not an issue if I do a cold boot. I also tried enabling CSM, but that didn't help.

Can someone explain why this happens or how I can enable fast boot without a bsod?

This is on a rampage V Extreme bios 3501.

Windows 10 was installed as UEFI and is booting off a m.2 951.

Edit: Jsut did more tests and if I do SATA: all devices instead of boot drive only then the BSOD goes away. I was hoping to cut down post times by not initializing any other devices.

I know this is a bit late, but I've had a similar issue too. Only seems to happen on reboots, and only if I'm booting into windows. (might pop up if reboot from windows into Linux too, but I think that's a UEFI bug with switching the os during reboot) Turning on all SATA devices fixes the problem for me too. I believe this is a bug with ASUS's bios with the boot drive being NVME.

Thought it was my overclock forever, but after going back to stock settings I still noticed the same issues. (did not return to stock cpu speed, but this has happened to me before while fully on stock) Hopefully, they'll fix this when 3902 exits beta.

You could try putting your boot loader on a SATA drive, but that might just defeat the purpose, and I don't know if Windows plays well with the boot partition on another disk.