cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IX Apex overclockers delight

Menthol
Level 14
The IX Apex is all about overclocking, it still has some deluxe features, RGB lighting effects, I guess the sound system is OK as I haven't enabled the sound yet but in just a few minutes I was running a higher overclock than I was before on the same CPU with 4266 XMP memory setting which was as easy as clicking XMP, with the proper memory kit from Gskill, I haven't tried any OC or memory presets that are in this bios, which are amazing just to see whats listed, memory profiles from world famous overclockers which should help with all the timings that are now available with DDR4, one click 5.0 setting and others

This was by enabling XMP and setting all cores to 5.0

Then in XTU I upped the core to 52 and got 5.37GHZ with 4751 cache and 4266 memory

Personalized name plate

There is a difference when overclocking with the best components compared to good components, if your lucky enough to get a golden CPU sample you know that it seems to make you a better overclocker when in reality it is just easier when the individual components are better than average
This is the kind of motherboard that can do the same, make it appear to be easy to overclock, a real stand out product for a specific use
15 REPLIES 15

lordofwater
Level 9
So with a I5 7600k pretested or I7 7700k pretested is an ideal motherboard right menthol?But is possible to put a module wifi in the apex?

Menthol
Level 14
In my opinion yes as long as you pair it with the right memory kit, a good CPU is also a plus, it is a very good motherboard, and the best for overclocking, as for a wifi module, a pcie board will work, the board has several pcieX1 slots, I don't think there is another header for a wifi module

Menthol wrote:
In my opinion yes as long as you pair it with the right memory kit, a good CPU is also a plus, it is a very good motherboard, and the best for overclocking, as for a wifi module, a pcie board will work, the board has several pcieX1 slots, I don't think there is another header for a wifi module

So menthol 16gb or 32gb for this motherboard?

lordofwater wrote:
So menthol 16gb or 32gb for this motherboard?

Interesting question. Why would you opt for 32GB if you didn't need it? This board is all about no compromise in terms of performance 🙂
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Interesting question. Why would you opt for 32GB if you didn't need it? This board is all about no compromise in terms of performance 🙂

For game and other applications but if you think that is better 16 many thanks for the info 😉 so the apex with kit 360 from ek is ideal or better one AIO from Ekwb?

Menthol
Level 14
This board is designed for overclocking first, It will make a good daily system as long as you are aware of it's short comings, highest speed memory kits are dual module kits, the highest binned kits use 8GB modules at this point in time, the 16GB dual model kits are the fastest kits, I am sure the 32GB kits will work fine if you purchase the right kit and keep your expectations sensible as far as XMP ratings may not be reached depending on your particular CPU's capability, all things are not created equal as far as silicon goes.
5.0 is doable using an AIO if the chip is capable on most new ASUS boards

I can only advise anyone to do his or her own research before purchase and get what they want and need for the intended use
Your game will hardly see a difference if your CPU is clocked at 5.0 compared to 4.5, or your memory is clocked at 2400mhz or 4266mhz, but you may need more SATA ports for storage or more USB ports, or onboard wifi/BT, better sound, more RGB options etc. that gaming boards offer without purchasing addons

Menthol wrote:
This board is designed for overclocking first, It will make a good daily system as long as you are aware of it's short comings, highest speed memory kits are dual module kits, the highest binned kits use 8GB modules at this point in time, the 16GB dual model kits are the fastest kits, I am sure the 32GB kits will work fine if you purchase the right kit and keep your expectations sensible as far as XMP ratings may not be reached depending on your particular CPU's capability, all things are not created equal as far as silicon goes.
5.0 is doable using an AIO if the chip is capable on most new ASUS boards

I can only advise anyone to do his or her own research before purchase and get what they want and need for the intended use
Your game will hardly see a difference if your CPU is clocked at 5.0 compared to 4.5, or your memory is clocked at 2400mhz or 4266mhz, but you may need more SATA ports for storage or more USB ports, or onboard wifi/BT, better sound, more RGB options etc. that gaming boards offer without purchasing addons

So is better Formula or Code from what you say right?

lordofwater wrote:
So is better Formula or Code from what you say right?

Eh? "For what?" is the key question...is the point I would guess Menthol is making.

Raja posted a good guide here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90109-ASUS-Z270-buyers-guide-Q-A-thread

Point is there are trade-offs...get what you really use for what you want to do with the board. No point fancying an ultimate OC board if what you end up doing is OCing 200MHz and complaining about missing features for your gaming...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Eh? "For what?" is the key question...is the point I would guess Menthol is making.

Raja posted a good guide here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90109-ASUS-Z270-buyers-guide-Q-A-thread

Point is there are trade-offs...get what you really use for what you want to do with the board. No point fancying an ultimate OC board if what you end up doing is OCing 200MHz and complaining about missing features for your gaming...

ok thanks i have see now the guide because for me is the first time in OC and Liquid Cooler i am a neofite because i have only read.I read the guide of Raja Arne 😉 !!!!