cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual voltage, offset or adaptiv mode on X99 board?

Alexauwa
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've read lots of different options about the right overclocking mode for core voltage.

Right now I run my 6850k at 4,4 GHz with 1.34 core voltage at fixed manual. Is this voltage fine to stay fixed on for longtime?

What voltage mode you guys recommand? What additional settings do I have to adjust? Also in order to save power?

Thanks,
ALex
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
For core voltage adaptive works great on these boards. Allows you to take advantage of Speedstep which is great for reducing voltage when the processor is idle or not working hard...and gives you near-as-dammit instantaneous turbo and all the power you need. Win-win.

Things have moved on from the day when you needed to disable these options for overclocking.

For how-to...just in case https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83150-Arrrrgh!-I-cannot-figure-how-how-to-get-my-4790k-to-...!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
For core voltage adaptive works great on these boards. Allows you to take advantage of Speedstep which is great for reducing voltage when the processor is idle or not working hard...and gives you near-as-dammit instantaneous turbo and all the power you need. Win-win.

Things have moved on from the day when you needed to disable these options for overclocking.

For how-to...just in case https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83150-Arrrrgh!-I-cannot-figure-how-how-to-get-my-4790k-to-...!

Thank you,*Arne.

I am just wondering if adaptive mode will give me a delay? I am editing 6k footage that needs all power I got.

I also set up my cache voltage to 1.15 in manual mode. Shall I leave this fixed or also set to adaptive mode?

Also set spread spectrum to off?

*Thanks,
Alex*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd set spread spectrum to off, yes.

The delay...yes there will be one but in the order of micro or mili seconds so I don't think it's going to kill your encoding times 😉

cache voltage does not work in adaptive mode...some ongoing Intel microcode problem...so leave manual or try offset...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'd set spread spectrum to off, yes.

The delay...yes there will be one but in the order of micro or mili seconds so I don't think it's going to kill your encoding times 😉

cache voltage does not work in adaptive mode...some ongoing Intel microcode problem...so leave manual or try offset...

Thank you*