cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock Rampage V Edition 10 but what is Haswell or Broadwell-E

Amerifaxx
Level 7
I have had a what sitting on the shop for about a year, at first I was waiting for the price of the CPU to come down, which seems like is not going to happen. Now my only concern is getting the right equipment. My boaed is a Rampage V Edition 10. My plan is to overclock using AiSuite 3.

My plan is to buy the absolute fastest Intel processor and memory. So far this is what it appears to be:
i7-6950x concern There seems to also bed a i76900k not suire of diference of x & k.
Memory - The only thing I know for sure it will be 128gb.

There seems to be a Haswell and Broadwell-e. I don't have a clue what this is about.

I use my computer for graphic design and a lot of data processing of extremely large files. I will be keeping Rampage V Extreme to process mostly. The Rampage V Edition 10 will be used for most of my graphic design. This is probably going to be the last computer that I put together for myself. So price is not as important as is the utmost performance.
3 REPLIES 3

Menthol
Level 14
The 5000 series processors are Haswell-E, the 6000 series is Bradwell-E, BW-E is an update to HW-E , BW-E will be the last processor for this chipset which is to be replaced later this year with Skylake-E and a new chipset and socket. The K processors have an un-locked multiplier that allows overclocking
HW-E typically can overclock higher than BW-E but BW-E out performs HW-E at same speed, and there is no reason to purchase the later at this time. 6950X is the bad boy on the block, the most powerfull desktop CPU available at this time.
As for memory, power supply etc., don't cheap out, get top quality components that are compatible, 128GB memory kits are costly and more susceptible to issues so make this purchase carefully, there is a guide on these forums for setting up a 128GB memory kit and several users that use these kits, search the forums for related posts

Amerifaxx
Level 7
I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused on >> The K processors have an un-locked multiplier that allows overclocking
HW-E typically can overclock higher than BW-E but BW-E out performs HW-E at same speed,<<
I would like to be able to overclock the CPU. Can the 6950X be overclocked? Is the 6950x the fastest way to go?

As far as memory I spent an evening trying to figure out the best way to go. Mostly everything I looked at were people having problems and wanted to know how to fix it. I would like to be able to either overclock the memory or by the fastest memory available.

I hope to purchase tonight. But mostly I'm trying to eliminate problems created myself in past installations.

Amerifaxx
Level 7
Please avoid this post. It should have been a response to a topic I was using.
Bob