cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Freezes

Kamir
Level 7
Hi,

first of all sorry for my english I am not a native speaker.
I changed my MB about three weeks ago and since a few days my PC freezes randomly and I have been looking for a solution, but I can't get rid of these freezes. The first freeze happened while downloading a new Windows Update (11.01.17). I didn't had much time during the first weeks so maybe the problem exists since I changed the MB.

My System:
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero BIOS 3101
CPU: i7 6700K non OC
GPU r9 390 nitro
RAM: 16 GB Balistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
SSD: 120 & 250GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD SM951-NVMe
HDD: WD Green 3 TB
PSU: 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM
Sound: Xonar U7
Keyboard: Roccat MK Glow
Mouse: Roccat Nyth

The freezes happen in Idle and under Load. The screen freezes and I have to use the reset button twice to restart my system. The fist push only turns off the lights of my mouse, keyboard and soundcard and the second push leads to a restart of my system.

The first freezes didn't allow me to push the reset button (nothing happened) I had to push the power button for about 4 secs. the lights of my peripherals went out instant with these freezes.

What I did so far:
-CrystalDisk - 100% good
-Ram tested with MemTest and the Windows test - no errors
-BIOS Update (3101)
-Driver updated
-High Performance in the energy settings
-turned off USB selective suspend setting
-Unchecked all in the network adapter energy options
-activate/deactivate XMP
- Intel Diagnostic tool - no failure
-deactivated Supremefx beacause i have the Xonar U7
-stressed all non Windows drivers - nothing happened
-Prime95 Blend Test - one time I got an error with instant freeze and one time only an error without a freeze. The Last run was for about 9hrs without error/freeze
-and today I reinstalled Win10 but the freezes still happen

The Eventlog shows nothing but I noticed that it shows wrong shut downs. For example freeze at 5:58AM, restart at 6:34AM and the eventlog says sth. about an unexpected shutdown at 5:44AM but also show a driver update at 5:45.

Another thing I noticed: My mouse sometimes starts wihtout any lights on, I then have to replug it. One time with wrong colors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to find a solution for this problem

Thank you!
Kamir
5 REPLIES 5

Kamir
Level 7
For the record: I recently bought new ram from G.Skill according to some Users here and in other forums the Crucial Ram is the problem. They never had a freeze with new G.Skill sticks.

I'll test them during the next days and hope the problem is gone!

The power requirements for your cpu and gpu exceed 400 watts and your 500w supply is too small. A marginal supply will cause erratic operation such as what you have. An 850w supply should be safe for your system.

Personally I use a 1200w supply on a Max VIII Extreme, I7 6700K, R9 FuryX, 32gb RAM, 6 ssd's, AIO cpu water cooler. The supply runs cool, QUIET, and the system is stable.

I don't think the PSU is the problem because before changing the mobo I didn't had this problem.

It seems like the freezes are gone now. Over 15hrs prime and 6hrs of gaming and no freezes so far

Kamir wrote:
For the record: I recently bought new ram from G.Skill according to some Users here and in other forums the Crucial Ram is the problem. They never had a freeze with new G.Skill sticks.

I'll test them during the next days and hope the problem is gone!

I run an 850 watt PSU and its more than adequate. Id start leaning toward lack of power. A good power supply is key to system stability. Period.

FuryA
Level 8
Random-Freezes may has various causes
Keep updating latest version and the simple troubleshooting
can try only Mobo+Cpu single Ram and one storage device for stress testing