cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 problem with ROG Gaming Center

PandaSekh
Level 7
Hello,
after a Windows 10 update my system ****ed up, I lost many programs and god knows what else. I tried to run the Gaming Center but I could't find it in the programs list and not even the hotkey would work. I tried to reinstall it but it said that it was already installed, so in the Control Panel I found it and tried to uninstall. It failed and gave me this error: Screenshot

How can I solve?
7 REPLIES 7

Sheltem
Level 9
Based on what you said the solution that would waste the least amount of time is to either restore original disk image (if you have a cloned copy) or to do a clean install of the operating system.
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

A clean install of the program? How? I don't have a backup and I don't want to reinstall Windows, i'd rather not have the Gaming Center if i have to

I solved by going back to the previous Win build, found it in the settings. I had to do this as everything stopped working. So now I have another question: there's a way to NOT install these updates?

As I understand, a lot of installed applications have had their installation state corrupted after that update. Therefore, the fastest way of undoing this mess is to do a clean OS install.

There is a way to troubleshoot/fix corrupt msi installations, especially if you can get your hands on the original msi that was used to install the application, but the main question is how much time are you prepared to waste? A clean OS will additionally get rid of any issues you might not yet have had the chance to run into.

PandaSekh wrote:
I solved by going back to the previous Win build, found it in the settings. I had to do this as everything stopped working. So now I have another question: there's a way to NOT install these updates?

You did not specify the Win10 edition you have. For Home (unnamed) editions no, I don't think there is any way to refuse updates, they will be installed immediately after they are released. Win10 Pro has settings to defer updates, they can be found in the Windows Update UI.
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

So every Win update I should do a clean OS install? Nice...

I will try to dodge them for now somehow, as I don't have the time to do anything special. I noticed that going back to the previous build doesn't take too much time (1 min or so), so i will stick to that method for now. Thanks anyway

JustinThyme
Level 13
Too many people are hung up on doing clean installs. There are times where its appropriate which is always due to a user error. Either monkeying with settings in the OS, dorking around with the registry etc. The only other thing that is also user realted but has nothing to do with laptops as they are not capable is when you push a overclock on the BCLK too far and corrupt the data on the OS drive.

Some programs are stubborn to uninstall, its not the fault of the OS but the program itself and often again back to user error. I dont know how deep you are into it now.
Most software that is worth having will have no issues uninstalling as developers took the time to write the uninstall correctly. However you will find that even the good ones still leave orphans behind after an uninstall not only files and folders but registry entries. In your case I would pretty much guarantee the reason you are getting the error that it is already installed when attempting to install the newest version is orphaned registry entries. The install looks to the registry as some of the things it does like turbo mode could wreak havoc if you have two installations working against each other and the software is not written to auto update.

Ive had zero issues with it on a G752VY that is still running on the original factory image. Immediately after getting any laptop I clone the orginal drive to a new drive and take out the OEM and put it away for safe keeping in case I need to send the machine in for service or as a back up of the original install with all the software and drivers.

One tool that is invaluable is Ccleaner. So much so that I bought a license for it.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I use Ccleaner to do the uninstalls, it does a better job and lets you uninstall bloatware that doesnt even show up in the windows apps list for uninstall or anything else.
Once uninstall is complete check your programs folder for any orphaned folders or files and delete them, Usually this doesnt happenw ith Ccleaner but does 100% with windows.
Now go back to Ccleaner and run the registry cleaner tool that will remove all the orphaned entries there. You can save a back up of the registry is you are worried, it gives you a prompt.

When finished, reboot then install your updated version of gaming center that is available on the ASUS support web page.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for your answer,
I actually did used CCleaner, without success. Maybe I did something wrong. At the moment I'm good as I came back to the previous build and blocked the update, but as soon as I have time I will backup everything and do a big update (the Anniversary one) and will try to fix evertthing.
Just to clarify, I only had problems with Asus's preinstalled programs, others i could reinstall with no problem