cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW - Windows 10 only boots properly about 75% of the time

laptopdude90
Level 7
I have an Asus G750JW laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. I acquired all of the drivers from the official Asus website (https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/521/0/1/w5ZFxIpLeKBoVabd/45/)

When it doesn't boot properly, the screen freezes. If it's in the middle of the boot logo, with the spinning icon at the bottom, the icon will freeze. What's also important to note is that the hard drive light stops blinking completely. The latest I've had it happen is right when the login page was loading, maybe about half a second after the login page showed up. I was unable to move the mouse.

It has also has had a single BSOD during windows updates, on the part right before the computer shuts down (not when it boots up to finish the updates). Once the computer is running, it is rock solid. I've maxed out the CPU and GPU for over an hour playing games, and it had no trouble with it.

I've performed a memory test and a hard drive test, to no avail.

The same problem can occur when put to sleep and woken up again.
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
A Blue screen during install. I would wipe that disk and start over if you didn't. As soon as you get booted up go to settings/updates/select to delay upgrades. If you have a pro version you can go to gpedit.exe and select to not let windows 10 updates install hardware drivers. Then Install your Asus Drivers, until you get everything installed keep checking device manager, for windows will want to install its own native drivers. this is not good for your notebook. Another thing on clean installs in UEFI is to remove any hard drives except the one your installing windows too, this is not necessary but eliminates any chance of boot manager having any parts on another drive other than your C:\ drive.

Another thing about windows 10, Default shut down is Hybrid Sleep, you need to turn this off power options Advanced, you need to turn off Fast start up. and shut down button to shut down to get a complete shut down every time.

You probably should read through GPS3DX's thread on the correct way to Install windows UEFI there is a lot of very good advise there.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
A Blue screen during install. I would wipe that disk and start over if you didn't. As soon as you get booted up go to settings/updates/select to delay upgrades. If you have a pro version you can go to gpedit.exe and select to not let windows 10 updates install hardware drivers. Then Install your Asus Drivers, until you get everything installed keep checking device manager, for windows will want to install its own native drivers. this is not good for your notebook. Another thing on clean installs in UEFI is to remove any hard drives except the one your installing windows too, this is not necessary but eliminates any chance of boot manager having any parts on another drive other than your C:\ drive.

Another thing about windows 10, Default shut down is Hybrid Sleep, you need to turn this off power options Advanced, you need to turn off Fast start up. and shut down button to shut down to get a complete shut down every time.

You probably should read through GPS3DX's thread on the correct way to Install windows UEFI there is a lot of very good advise there.

It didn't blue screen during the install, it blue screened during updates. The problem existed before and after this happened.

I've already turned off hybrid sleep, but I don't understand how it is remotely relevant to the situation.

New update!

The problem persists no matter if the computer is plugged in or running on battery power.

After a sleep, I got all the way to the desktop and even opened chrome before it froze. This time, it froze with the HDD light on instead of off. So it doesn't look like the HDD life strictly switches off, perhaps it just stays in whichever position it was before the computer froze? I'm not sure.

Any help would be great, I'd love to get this working properly.

Just tried switching from legacy to uefi, it didn't help. Problem still persists.

Bump

Okay, more information:

It seems that if I boot it up cold, or from sleep but it's been sleeping for a while(>an hour in both cases, roughly) it won't make it to boot. But within 10 or 20 minutes after that, if I do it again, it will.

Likely changing your UEFI/GPT from UEFI to To BIOS MBR will have trashed your OS, If I remember write you can change from UEFI/GPT to BIOS/MBR Legacy. It won't work to change back with out a clean install. To get your Sysemt back to UEFI/GPT you will have to clean Install UEFI way see GPX thread
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

malwayne66
Level 7
laptopdude90 wrote:
I have an Asus G750JW laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. I acquired all of the drivers from the official Asus website (https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/521/0/1/w5ZFxIpLeKBoVabd/45/)

When it doesn't boot properly, the screen freezes. If it's in the middle of the boot logo, with the spinning icon at the bottom, the icon will freeze. What's also important to note is that the hard drive light stops blinking completely. The latest I've had it happen is right when the login page was loading, maybe about half a second after the login page showed up. I was unable to move the mouse.

It has also has had a single BSOD during windows updates, on the part right before the computer shuts down (not when it boots up to finish the updates). Once the computer is running, it is rock solid. I've maxed out the CPU and GPU for over an hour playing games, and it had no trouble with it.

I've performed a memory test and a hard drive test, to no avail.

The same problem can occur when put to sleep and woken up again.

This same thing was happening to me for months and for me the fix was to remove one of my ram chips...
I was already aware the i should mix different brands of ram but what was really causing it was that one of the chips was 1.5v while all the others were 1.35v, after removing boot speeds were back to normal and cpu droppped