cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get stable clock.

Exerqtor
Level 7
Well, where should i start 😛

So I built a new system the first week of December 2016. First time i powered on the system (after bleeding the cooling loop) and installed Windows i ran everything at standard settings and it worked fine. So i figured i'll start with enabling the XMP switch on the mobo, and here is where my problems started.
Couldn't get post, and the rig just powerd up for a blink of a second and then died. Tried switching of the XMP switch, and tried again. But no luck, started pulling RAM, nothing helped. So finally i cleared CMOS and tried again with XMP off. Law and behold everything worked, hmm weird.

So then when i got in to windows i downloaded CPU-Z and looked at the SPD, where i saw that one of the RAM came up as "Unknown" and one other had totally crazy XMP timings stored ( 16,18,18, 50 ). Figgured the fault was a bad set of RAM so i pulled out those two chips and tried again.
This time i got it to boot with XMP enabled and it ran for about 5min in windows, then it powered down and i was where i started.

So i waited for an RMA on the RAM kit, and when i received the new kit i frist booted up and checked everything with CPU-Z. All good and no apparent faults, powered down and enabled XMP. This time everything worked out. Had no issues ( or so i thought ), so i went along starting to OC the CPU, reached 4,4Ghz by setting multiplier and Core voltage 1,325.

I settled with these numbers and just kept it that way (think this was first or second day Christmas). And everyting has worked, until i game back from work last Tuesday and it was powered down and wouldn't start up. Cleared CMOS and it fired up again, no problems. Tried to enable XMP again, and same old.

Now i'm running everything stock, and it works just fine. But i don't want all this expensive hardware running at 2,5-3/4 of it's "payed for" potential.
I don't think it's any bad components since everything works on stock speeds, so i guess it's a unstable overclock. And i hoped someone here could take some time and try to help me out to get things working .

My system is as following:

Asus X99 Strix (bios 1401)
Intel i7 6800K
4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LED 3200Mhz
Titan X (Maxwell)
500GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 (system drive)
500GB Samsung 850 Evo (just games)
Custom loop water cooling on both CPU/VRM and GPU.

Hope some of you guys here can shed some light on my problem and maybee help me fixing it.
I'm in conntact with the place i bought the parts and i have all clear to do an RMA on the motherboard, but i really don't want to tear everything down and being without my rig for some weeks. At least not being 100% sure that it's toast.
63 REPLIES 63

Nate152
Hi Exerqtor

Set the bios to defaults (F5) and get your ram stable before overclocking your cpu, this way we know what is causing the instability.

At the top of the Dram Timing Control page check if you have any tweak modes, try Tweak Modes 1 and 2 with XMP enabled.

Tweak Mode 1 - Helps with compatibility
Tweak mode 2 - Helps with overclocking

If you don't have the Tweak Mode options try raising the cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage to 1.15v - 1.20v, start with both at 1.15v.

Does this get your pc to boot?

Once you get your ram stable then move on to overclocking your cpu.

Okok i did what you said nate, couldn't find any Tweaker modes. So i adjusted the cpu system agent voltage offset to + 0.294V with a baseline of 0.856V and set the cpu vccio voltage to 1,15V like you said. And i manually set the RAM timing and voltage (16-18-18-36 1.35v) @ 3200Mhz.

It booted up, and is still running now. What would bee the next step? Stress test? What program would you in that case suggest using to get the most durable result?

Nate152
Well I personally just use a stress test such as ROG Realbench or Intel XTU but some people go the extra mile and buy the 5.00 dollar HCI Memtest pro but it isn't a necessity.

There is a memory test in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Nice going getting your ram to its rated specs. 🙂

Looks like it's stable. Have ran it for with XTU memory stress test for 1hour and 20 min. And it passed, so i guess that will say that the clock is stable and i may proceed to do some CPU clocking.
Should i push some more voltages now since i tinkered with the ones you asked med to?

Or are these totally separate to eventual CPU OC?

Nate152
That's great !

The cpu system agent voltage and cpu vccio voltage feed the cpu's Integrated Memory Controller and help stabilize Ram, they have little affect on overclocking the cpu.

You shouldn't need to fool with those anymore, I'd try just using the multiplier and cpu core voltage for overclocking the cpu.

Well guess what, when i got back from work today it was dead again. And i had to do a CMOS reset.

Should i try bumping up the voltages more? I'm kinda at a loss since everything works fine while i stress test it, and suddenly it goes fubar over night 😞

Nate152

Johan45
Level 7
To me it almost appears that the system is having trouble with low power states since stress testing is passing. I would go to CPU configuration in BIOS and disable C6/C7 low power options and see if this straightens things out.

Nate152 wrote:
Yeah you could try bumping them up .02v.

Johan45 wrote:
To me it almost appears that the system is having trouble with low power states since stress testing is passing. I would go to CPU configuration in BIOS and disable C6/C7 low power options and see if this straightens things out.

Will try it today, without kicking up the system agent and vccio voltages any higher than 1,15V and disabling the C6/C7 low power option. And see how it fairs.

Thanks for the help so long mates! 🙂