cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752 not waking up after sleep - solved?

NP-complete
Level 7
Does anybody know what is the software responsible for making G752VY randomly crash when waking up from sleep mode? In some threads here I've read that some users have the same problem as me: sometimes it wakes up well, sometimes the screen is black forever and the only way to go on is switching off the computer, sometimes the mouse pointer appears but it's thinking forever, and even sometimes you can login again into Windows, but then the desktop does not produce any response to any click.

I think this problem is due to some software, because it never happens if you do a clean boot (https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows) and then you go into sleep mode. At first I blamed Sonic Studio II, which made all my Origin games (Sims 4 and Unravel) crash on launch. However, just removing Sonic Studio II does not solve the waking up problem, so I guess it's not its fault.

Any ideas?
15 REPLIES 15

BoutTime01
Level 7
I have had the same problem with G752VT but unfortunately have no idea as to what causes it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

By trying one "semi-clean" boot after each other (i.e. trying different combinations of enabled/disabled programs), the program responsible for the problem could be eventually found. But this might be a very time-consuming task, as the waking up issue happens on an (apparent) random basis: with the same configuration, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Hence, you could consider a given combination of programs safe because waking up worked fine in all your experiments, yet it could not be safe ---it was just luck.

Just wondering if someone suspects a particular program or service could be the culprit.

Armesis
Level 10
This happens to my G752VY as well. Since it boots up very fast anyway, i never put it to sleep anymore, i just turn it off lol.

Armesis wrote:
This happens to my G752VY as well. Since it boots up very fast anyway, i never put it to sleep anymore, i just turn it off lol.

Same for me and for everyone who didn't disabled the sleep feature.
I don't understand the reason but that happens.
Too many times.
We need a real solution because this didn't happen before.

I found the reason of the problem!! 😮 😮 😮

It's ORIGIN. Do you have it installed? Do you have any Electronic Arts games? Do not let Origin launch (either at startup or later), and waking up will always work properly. At least for me!

I'm not surprised. A few days ago I discovered that my Origin games crashed at launch if Sonic Studio II was running. So there is some big incompatibility between Origin and some sofware running in my G752VY.

diogogmaio
Level 7
Ok. I will do the test.
With and without origin.

It could be.

In the last two weeks, when I pressed the restart button in Windows, Windows complained so often about Origin refusing to close, so Windows had to eventually kill the Origin process by itself. If a program refuses to be closed when Windows "nicely" requests it, then maybe its full state won't be properly saved into the SSD when getting into sleep mode. Hence, when you wake up later, maybe its former state won't be properly recovered (and it will make waking up crash). It's just my theory... Does it make sense?

I'm so sorry to inform that my solution to solve the waking up issue doesn't work in all cases. 😞 I thought waking up after a clean boot was safe (25 waking up operations in the last 3 days, all correct!), but it isn't. After a clean boot, I started Steam and asked it to download some large game (10 Gb) into the SSD. After 5 Gb or so, when the right side of the case was already warm (yes, the right side gets warm even without any sound, just by downloading files), I put the laptop into sleep mode. 30 minutes later, when the right side of the case was cold again, I pressed the wake up button... and it failed. Two attempts. First time I could write my password but then I was stuck in the desktop. Second time I just got the infamous black screen.

Maybe reducing the number of running programs helps indeed, but it definitely sounds like a hardware issue.

Ok, I've installed the lastest Intel drivers for the Chipset, the Management Engine, and the Rapid Storage Technology from http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en. Then, I've changed the BIOS from Raid to AHCI, following the steps given by hexaae in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post588732 (I also experienced that halved transfer speed problem after waking up from sleep). Then I've repeated twice the experiment I mentioned in my previous post, and it's working: resuming after suspension isn't failing. I don't want to be overoptimistic (again!), but this could be the solution.

If I don't get back to this thread with bad news, then it means it kept working.