cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII Will not Post. Frozen On ROG Logo With A2 Error. Tried Battery Pull Already

saracenrush
Level 9
SOLVED: I didn't have my usb drive formatted properly as I was using a mac. Once I had a properly formatted usb with a correctly named bios, I was able to flash a new bios and resolve my issue.

Thanks for your help and encouragement Nate 🙂

------------------------------

I posted this on reddit and I'm at work right now, hoping someone can help by the time I get home-

Story begins two days ago when I overclocked my 4790k to 4.7ghz at 1.33 volts. The temps spiked in aida 64 so i rebooted and ran 1.28 volts and 4.6ghz.

On this sucess I thought I'd try 1.275 volts at 4.6ghz. Should be fine right? Nope. The problem begins. I'm stuck at the ROG logo boot screen.

Now here's the thing, I posted here the night it happened (Saturday I think?) looking for help and was told to pop out the motherboard battery to reset it. This worked and I've been using the computer playing games for hours since. However, there was one issue of having to hold down the power button for 6 to 8 seconds to turn it on though.

Now though after two days of using the computer just fine albeit this one issue, I'm stuck with the same problem and cannot fix it.

Obviously this has something to do with the other night, I'm just not sure what to do.

NOTE: The highest clock I pushed for was 4.8ghz unsuccessfully and the highest voltage was 1.33. None for that long. The issues occured once I lowered the volts.

Confusing thing is how it's been working fine the last 48 hours, albeit the long press of the button to start it up.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

-Obviously the battery pop out again. Left out for 30 minutes to no avail.

-Also tried flashing a new bios over USB which I've done before so I'm familar with but it has made no difference. Tried this 3 times in case I wasn't doing it right. Still same issue.

CURRENT STATUS:

I've unplugged everything except the hdmi lead and power cable but the motherboard led status says A2. Which apparently means ide connected? It's what it was saying the first time around and this time. Been stuck like that for probably close to an hour. I should tunr it off I think...

SPECS:

i7 4790K at stock speeds and volts (For the last 48 hours)

Asus Strix 980 Ti

16gb gskill ram(2 sticks)

2x SSDs ( 1os, 1 games)
2xhdds

Hero VII mobo

Corsair 850w psu

Thanks for looking, all help is appreciated.

Much love xx
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hi saracenrush

Welcome to the ROG forum.

This is good what you've tried so far, do you have display and are you able to enter the bios with code A2 ?

saracenrush
Level 9
Hi Nate thank you and thanks for your assistance with this.

Yes I have display but I am not able to enter the bios unfortunately.

One thing regarding flashing a new bios is that I had to format the usb on a mac as it's the only other conputer in the house. I did so in the msdos format which I believe is fat32 according to google. Just thought I'd point this out as when I flash the bios over usb the bios button flashes blue and then goes to a steady blue state as opposed to off. I thought it was supposed to go off so I'm wondering if having formatted the usb in this way is a factor.

Also someone on reddit believes I should remove all hdds and ssds and try to boot up with a linux distribution. Not sure about that one.

Nate152
You got it right, the usb flash drive should be formatted to FAT32 file system and the bios file renamed to M7H.CAP

It should start flashing slow then get faster then stop, when it stops the bios update has completed, it should take about 90 seconds to flash.

I've had this same problem before, code A2 and have display but can't enter the bios.

The problem was caused by a faulty ssd that my operating system was on. I suspect you may have a faulty drive, can you try the other ssd only and see if it lets you in the bios ?

Let all other drives disconnected for now.

saracenrush
Level 9
Sure. I'm at work now. I'll try this when I get back home tonight.

I'm on West Australian time so it'll be a while. I'll reply back with the results later.

Thanks again.

Nate152
You're welcome

If it turns out to be a faulty drive no big deal, you have plenty for back up and the drive should still be under warranty?

Yeah give us an update when you get a chance.

saracenrush
Level 9
Hey man

So I've unplugged all ssds and hdds and I still have the same issue and cannot get into the bios. I do however have a new code-99. I'm currently looking up what that is.

Cheers.

Update: according to one website, it thinks the mobo may be a goner. Looks like I'll be called Asus tomorrow. Tha ja for your help mate.

Nate152
Code 99 = Super IO Initialization

Let's not give up just yet. 🙂

Try updating the bios again and make sure it's flashing properly.

saracenrush
Level 9
Yeah, not knowing what that meant I found this website below which attempts to explain them.

I have tried reflashing around 6 times, do you have any suggestions for doing it differently? I will try and format the usb on a pc rather than a mac though.

http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=99

Nate152
Code 99 with display is usually an incompatible usb device.

Code 99 with no display is the gpu or monitor area - pcie power cables not connected to the gpu, monitor cable not connected, faulty monitor cable, faulty monitor or not turned on.

Format your usb flash drive to FAT32 and extract the bios file to your usb flash drive and rename the bios file to M7H.CAP

Press the bios flashback button until it starts to flash then release, it will slowly get faster and faster then after about 90 seconds should stop.

Is this how you're doing it?