Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

from the USB-C Wiki.....

USB 3.1 Type-C to Type-C full-featured cable
    DisplayPort, MHL, HDMI and Thunderbolt (20 Gbit/s) Alternate Mode USB-C ports can be interconnected with standard passive full-featured USB-C cables. These cables are only marked with standard "trident" SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s logo on both ends.[32] Cable length should be 1.0 m or less.

USB 3.1 Type-C to Type-C active cable
    Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbit/s) Alternate Mode requires active USB-C cables that are certified and electronically marked for high-speed ThunderBolt 3 transmission, similarly to high-power 5 A cables.[21][24] These cables are marked with standard "trident" SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s logo and a Thunderbolt logo on both ends.[32]

USB 3.1 Type-C adapter cable (plug) or adapter (socket)
    These cables/adapters contain a valid DisplayPort, HDMI, or MHL plug/socket marked with the logo of the required Alternate Mode, and a Type-C plug with a "trident" SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s logo on the other end. Cable length should be 0.15 m or less.

Active cables/adapters contain powered ICs to amplify/equalise the signal for extended length cables, or to perform active protocol conversion. The adapters for video Alt Modes may allow conversion from native video stream to other video interface standards (e.g. DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA or DVI).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunderbolt.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	62128

So my interpretation is for certified Thunderbolt Ports (if you have one) it depends on the cable you use.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Okay. Maybe some G752 models do come with thunderbolt 3 as advertised, but the current asus laptops that are currently compatible (website info) with the XG2 are these:
    http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-A...ON-2/overview/

Name:	thunder.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	706.8 KB 
ID:	62131

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Julskey View Post
    Okay. Maybe some G752 models do come with thunderbolt 3 as advertised, but the current asus laptops that are currently compatible (website info) with the XG2 are these:
    http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-A...ON-2/overview/

Name:	thunder.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	706.8 KB 
ID:	62131
    Yes.
    But that is only marketing strategy >> sell the more recent/upgraded machines.
    We indeed have the port...so we only need the proper cable.

I can suppose that the station will come with that cable.
    So everything is fine.

The station will be like 499 and then we have to get a 1080 so of course is expensive.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by diogogmaio View Post
    Yes.
    But that is only marketing strategy >> sell the more recent/upgraded machines.
    We indeed have the port...so we only need the proper cable.

I can suppose that the station will come with that cable.
    So everything is fine.

The station will be like 499 and then we have to get a 1080 so of course is expensive.
    If it's 499 they can poke it up their ar#e.
    At that price it's no longer viable. You'd be better off building a PC.
    Regardless of launch price, more and more vendors are producing these external GPU enclosures so the prices will come down to compete.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

There are multiple alternatives so yeah-

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

It wouldn't be viable for the moment, but I think it will be when our GPUs become a bit dated for newer games. And, there will be more products at lower prices.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Julskey View Post
    Not according to this link https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1031377/

I also have a G752VT and my USB type C port only has the SS 10 logo, not the thunderbolt logo.
    If what you say is true, then well and good.
    According to the user manual the USB Type-C port offers USB 3.1 upto 10Gbit/sec but using a thunderbolt adapter you'll get Thunderbolt Technology. But there is a note to say that the transfer rate of this port may vary with the model.

The adjacent USB 3.0 port with the lightning logo is for charging mobile devices quickly. Very confusing I know as it looks like a Thunderbolt logo to me.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by BoutTime View Post
    According to the user manual the USB Type-C port offers USB 3.1 upto 10Gbit/sec but using a thunderbolt adapter you'll get Thunderbolt Technology. But there is a note to say that the transfer rate of this port may vary with the model.

The adjacent USB 3.0 port with the lightning logo is for charging mobile devices quickly. Very confusing I know as it looks like a Thunderbolt logo to me.
    If needing to use an external adapter to get Thunderbolt Technology then wouldn't that mean it's not a true Thunderbolt 3 Port?
    MAIN RIG:
    Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 | Corsair Air 540 | Corsair H115i | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256gb | 2x WD Black 4tb | Corsair HD series Fans x6 | Corsair Commander Pro

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by jmike View Post
    If needing to use an external adapter to get Thunderbolt Technology then wouldn't that mean it's not a true Thunderbolt 3 Port?
    You would think so.....But quite possibly by adapter they mean cable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Very true. I sent CL-Albert a PM directed to this thread. Not necessarily to give us info about XG2 Compatibility but to check out the conflicting info and confusion with the existing TB3 information. Hopefully he'll investigate and respond.
    MAIN RIG:
    Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 | Corsair Air 540 | Corsair H115i | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256gb | 2x WD Black 4tb | Corsair HD series Fans x6 | Corsair Commander Pro

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast