cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arne goes Mainstream

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Every now and then I foolishly accept an invite... from some poor acquaintance... or relative... or other... and am forced to leave my home....

...which, of course, is equipped with a high end desktop!

These forays invariably lead me to some hovel...

and invariably they are equipped with some kind of everyman computing device..."mainstream" they tell me.....
127 REPLIES 127

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sooo

Of late it seems this mainstream stuff has been getting quite good and even held up as an OC must have...

X99 has been around for ever and with X299 in the offing Arne thought he'd be cunning...flog off X99 while it still comands a good price...

Slum it for a bit with "Mainstream" while waiting for the specs of the new HEDT....:D....genius...

So...for the second hand price of the 5960X alone...I get a brand new MB and CPU!! Mainstream is a hit right off the bat!

I went with the Maximus IX Formula and the i7-7700K.

Reasons were... the look of the board...just like the aesthetics...I loved my rampage IV Black and Rampage V10E builds...the smart, all black look.

The Extreme is not out yet here in Europe...and is kitted out with a waterblock. That's good and bad to my mind. I kind of like to put my own block on so was wondering if i'd buy a board and then take off the block that was on it, that I´d paid for...just to stick a new one on...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The Good

The board is a beauty...heavy...quality...

If you look at the back of the board you can tell this is a quality bit of kit!

It´s going to be a good build...despite some early niggles...

The Bad

For a watercooling board it's not going to get the top prize from me...one simple reason...the EK VRM block is not all it could be. If you are looking to integrate the block with your existing loop components you better not be using anything but the smallest diameter fittings 10/13mm tubing/fittings. I have 12/16mm tubing fittings and they don't fit on the block! Because...and...I really don´t get this design decision...the shielding on the block is raised around the top port and you can't tighten down any larger fittings...:confused:

Totally unecessary...
The lower port has no problem

The Ugly
The port is pretty bad plastic and it is very easy to thread it and chew it up with EK's own fittings...the new low profile fittings are especially aggressive and will chew it up in a heart beat. The raised patterning around the port is also a bit of a head scratcher....where you want your rubber seal to meet a flat surface!! I mean...come on...someone needs to up their game.

I am available for consultation at pretty unreasonable rates EK :cool:

Also...I hate the PCIe slot spacing...need to keep this 4 PCIe lanes...not 3...

Anyway...though I have posted up in detail the niggles (maybe someone will take notice and this good board can become a great?!) the board is a high end gaming builder's dream...

Of course I like my OCing too so let's see how it fares with the new CPU and if it's good enough to let me forget X99...

panzlock
Level 12
...What are you on about???
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
...What are you on about???

:confused: Err...do I need medication or do you :p:o

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

I posted that before your other posts. Your initial post was...vague. But you must have posted the remainder of your project before I clicked the submit button.

My mistake. Carry on.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Nate152 wrote:
how did you get the plugs out with it being raised around the fitting holes?

Hi Nate!

The plugs are actually easy enough to get out...bottom port shielding is not really raised around so that's straightforward...plug has toothed edge so just twist...top port, while shield is raised...it's not right next to plug so you can get fingertips in comfortably enough.

Yep...exactly...10/13 mm (3/8,1/2) is maximum size that fits without getting out the dremmel and shaving plastic off...

I have solved my problem...as Xeromist suggested...I checked and found I had a couple of special water-cooling spacers (that came with my EK universal GPU blocks)...basically a 2mm shim with recess for a rubber seal...they allow me to place a fitting on top and clear surrounding shield with minimal extension....

Will post a photo tomorrow...

panzlock wrote:
I posted that before your other posts.

Yeah...I figured...only joking 😉

Hey Arne, this is my first try!

Just set 52x and look, it's working!
😛

http://valid.x86.fr/zfl8dp

sandro c wrote:
Do you thingh also for me is better to sale this Platform and begin a complitely new PC with X270 Maximum 9 Mark1...wate cooled ?
In this way i can use the money of sailing wath is remaining of my bike destroied .... because also that "cipset" have no future.

Heh...sorry sandro c....I was asleep too:o

Shame about the bike...but yeah...why not reincarnate it in a new system...of course no need in the strict sense but if you fancy playing with the new gen then why not....you been a long time with X79!

brenopapito wrote:
Hey Arne, this is my first try!

Just set 52x and look, it's working!

NICE! That looks promising....good chip there...get it up in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24372-5Ghz-Club 😉

brenopapito wrote:
Unfortunately not, I just booted and validated in cpu-z. I'll try some stress test/bench asap.

Of course! validation is validation....need more time for stress test stable

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

I do, I do

After building HEDT systems it seems like they are almost giving away these little 4 core chips, have yourself some fun Arne, you deserve it