cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z & 2800Mhz RAM -> Can this motherboard overclock to that?

lightknightrr
Level 8
So, I'm looking around on NewEgg, and I notice this RAM. And I begin to wonder if anyone has used it, or any other RAM of the same or faster speed (on the Crosshair V F-Z), and had it run stable at its highest advertised speed. Looking at the specs for the Crosshair V F-Z, I also wonder if the BIOS would even allow for the memory to be set at such a high clock.

Your thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
Officially the highest frequency supported on the Crosshair V Formula-Z is 2400MHz. Nevertheless, you can use memory modules with higher frequencies as long as your CPU can handle it.

Johan45
Level 7
I've had extensive experience with the CHVz and yes it will run that speed BUT the FX CPU doesn't respond well to high ram speeds like that. You'll need additional CPU_NB voltage to accommodate the ram speed and the NB speed increase which will also need to be running at 2800 MHz. Typically this just creates more heat and headaches. The benefits you'd see from that speed will be negligible in the real world. You'd be further ahead getting some "good" sticks in the 1800-2000 range and tightening the timings as much as possible.

Johan45 wrote:
I've had extensive experience with the CHVz and yes it will run that speed BUT the FX CPU doesn't respond well to high ram speeds like that. You'll need additional CPU_NB voltage to accommodate the ram speed and the NB speed increase which will also need to be running at 2800 MHz. Typically this just creates more heat and headaches. The benefits you'd see from that speed will be negligible in the real world. You'd be further ahead getting some "good" sticks in the 1800-2000 range and tightening the timings as much as possible.

Ok, I have the 2800Mhz DDR3 RAM. It's currently operating at 2133Mhz, at 1.65V. I can get it to boot into Windows at 2400Mhz, but it doesn't last long, so yeah, some of the other settings, like CPU_NB, will probably need to be tweaked (everything is running on auto right now).

Anything else I should be tweaking?

And on another note, cooling this FX-9590 is a PITA. I've upgraded to a Corsair H115, with ML140 fans swapped for the usual fans, and Thermaltake 200mm fans on the other (top) side, and running Prime95 still pushes it close to overheating. This is in a Corsair Obsidian Airflow 750D Airflow Edition case (swapped the other fans as well). I guess I could try Noctua fans...but there is a real chance of me going deaf here ;-).

MeanMachine
Level 13
I have same specs, CVFZ, Corsair 750D, FX-9590 and H110. (upgraded from H105)
The MB QVL has no listing for tested RAM at 2800MHz and the Bios is defaulting to 2133Mhz so you will continue to have issues.
Yes you can try tweaking Primary Timings but it will be a frustrating exercise without guarantee of success.
If you have no success then swap them out for tested modules listed on the QVL. Issues will arise when you try to OC your FX-9590 which is a temperamental CPU and you must have stable RAM before you OC the beast.

btw: I also swapped fans for ML series and I don't think Noctua will be any quieter.
Also I would update your Bios to latest version 2201 if not already done so.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

I've attached screenshots of both the memory timing tab of the BIOS, as well as the SPD information for the RAM I'm using; however, I am not able to disseminate what all of these labels mean, or what maps to what. CAS Latency is a no brainer, and some of the others I can figure out by looking up 'advanced memory timings' on Google, but still leaves some unaccounted for...anybody got a decoder-ring?

~2400Mhz, not sure how stable this will be (or how long it will take for the Noctua fans I am planning on bolting over the VRMs will take to get here).