cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final choice 6850K 4.4 vs 4.5 GHz OC - What do you think?

Alexauwa
Level 7
I now made it to the end 🙂

I got two setups stable on RealBench:

1. 4.4 GHz on 1.34 core voltage
2. 4.5 GHz on 1.4 core voltage

My settings are:
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 0
Min. CPU cache ratio = 37
Max. CPU cache ratio = 37
CPU Load-line Calibration = Level 6
Long duration package power limit = Auto
short duration package power limit = Auto
CPU cache voltage = 1.2
CPU input voltage = 1.8

Memory:
64 GB at 2.800 MHz
DRAM voltage = 1.38
14 - 13 - 13 - 35

Getting to the 4.5 GHz I felt like rasing the core voltage was the only way to stabilize. Am I mistaking here? Are there any other settings to tweak?
Also, 4.5 GHz seem to work already at lower core voltages like 1.38. I am doing video editing though. Do I really need to be realBench proofed!? Will I ever come into such extreme situation like in RB? Should I be fine passing AIDA64?

Also 1.4 voltage seem to be pretty high in relation to 1.34? I will leave it fixed on manual. Will 100 Mz be worth that extra voltage?

Thanks for all of your support. Also, to this stage!
17 REPLIES 17

JustinThyme
Level 13
RB is a good tool. Its not absurdly overdoing it in the least. You want to really tax it, run prime 95.
If you cant pass RB you cant call it stable. The harshest part of RB is handbrake encoding.
Question is do you notice any difference in your day to day use pushing the voltage up and heat to go with it? Its fun to run it up for bench marking just because you can but i save BIOS profiles for what I intend to be doing. If its light work I use stock settings. For most heavy actual uses I find a happy medium that gets the job done but without a constant stress. If Im having OC play time I run it for all its worth but always dial it back down when Im done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
RB is a good tool. Its not absurdly overdoing it in the least. You want to really tax it, run prime 95.
If you cant pass RB you cant call it stable. The harshest part of RB is handbrake encoding.
Question is do you notice any difference in your day to day use pushing the voltage up and heat to go with it? Its fun to run it up for bench marking just because you can but i save BIOS profiles for what I intend to be doing. If its light work I use stock settings. For most heavy actual uses I find a happy medium that gets the job done but without a constant stress. If Im having OC play time I run it for all its worth but always dial it back down when Im done.

Thanks, Justin.

Well, I got the 4.5 stable. Question is: Is it worth the extra voltage compared to the 4.4. sitting there. Or are there other fine BIOS settings to tweak around?

I will only do heavy tasks on my PC like 4k editing and visual compositing in Adobe After Effects. Thus I do not intend to dial back that extra OC.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
4.4GHz no question in my mind...especially if you can't get adaptive stable..1.4 volts constant manual voltage is not a 24/7 OC I'd recommend.

Have a read of this...might be able to drop core volts a bit

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
4.4GHz no question in my mind...especially if you can't get adaptive stable..1.4 volts constant manual voltage is not a 24/7 OC I'd recommend.

Have a read of this...might be able to drop core volts a bit

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

Very interesting post you linked at. Will try that later. Thanks.

I guess 4.4 is the way to go. I have not tried adaptive mode yet. As you know, I have to find my final Vcore first 🙂 If i can lower my vcore by raising VCCIN, I hope to be able to dail in adaptive mode by knowing my excat vcore voltage.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep...sounds good to me...slow and steady

The 4.4 vs 4.5...0.6v is quite a jump for just 100MHz...sounds more like 4.4 is a sweet spot....and from all I have seen has been the sweet spot on a number of generations and type of CPU

And if you have trouble with adaptive you can also Load Line Calibration. I have my 6700k at 4.7 Core/Cache at 1.385v in bios. With an LLC of level 7. So I idle at 1.386v and under load I go to 1.412v. At level 8 it'll go to 1.434v. I leave it at 7 but you get what I'm what I'm saying. It idles significantly lower than it does under load.

But as stated above for life span of the chip it is recommended to stay closer to 1.35v so if you're stable at 4.4 GHz 1.34 I'd call that a day. I have two Overclock settings, one stated above and one at 4.5 GHz Core/Cache 1.295v Llc level 7. Idles 1.297v and under load is 1.328v.

Performance difference is minute. Cinebench 987 at 4.5. 1015 at 4.7

Michael-i7 wrote:
And if you have trouble with adaptive you can also Load Line Calibration.

Thanks. I am still running a fixed voltage for my 4.4 GHz on my 6850k. I plan to use the adaptive mode instead of fixed manual. What settings do I have to do in bios with my current voltage of 1.35v under full load?

Alexauwa wrote:
Thanks. I am still running a fixed voltage for my 4.4 GHz on my 6850k. I plan to use the adaptive mode instead of fixed manual. What settings do I have to do in bios with my current voltage of 1.35v under full load?

Hi, I know this is an old thread, did you ever get adaptive working? *
I have an R5E10 / i7-6850k, with an ekwb mono block, 420mm rad push pull 140mm fans custom loop.
It was set to 4.2ghz for the last few years, & still holds its own generally.
Gaming wise it has been pretty good, outperformed many newer setups on a specific game, but I know that a stable OC of 4.4 or higher helps with stuttering &freezing on auto save.

I have been attempting many times in the last few days, to push it up a bit, but I’m worried I’ve possibly degraded it yesterday, while trying adaptive, my previously tested & stable profile (4.3ghz I found on Saturday) now BSODs with varying causes. *
Anyone who can help, it would be massively appreciated.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yep...sounds good to me...slow and steady

The 4.4 vs 4.5...0.6v is quite a jump for just 100MHz...sounds more like 4.4 is a sweet spot....and from all I have seen has been the sweet spot on a number of generations and type of CPU

I did run a few stress tests including prime95 (28.10) today. Prime95 adds another 7-10 degrees hitting the 80 on one core which I think is a lot. AIDA64 or realbench do keep temps around 65. Also after a while 2 cores stop running. Rest seems fine. Still that is unstable.

Are you experienced with that problem? Does this also mean I will have to increase my core voltage? I tried VCCIN up a few steps, not hitting 1.95 though, but it did not really help.

Thank you.