Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Here's what I did for a clean Windows 7 installation:

1) downloaded the Windows 7 SP1 ISO
    2) burned a DVD with the ISO file
    3) copied the latest WLAN driver to a flash drive so I could get the wireless connection running after the new install.
    4) downloaded and installed ABR to the flash drive. Used it to backup my current Windows Activation info onto the flash drive.
    5) Installed Windows 7 SP1
    6) installed WLAN (Atheros on my system), Intel Chipset, Fresco Logic USB 3.0, ASUS ATK Package, Touchpad, Sound , and Video drivers. I still have not installed Ethernet, Bluetooth, Card Reader, Intel RST drivers, or Intel Management Engine Interface update - I'm not using these features.
    7) Configured Windows Update to allow me to choose when to download and install updates. Used Windows Update to install the latest Security updates.
    8) I used ABR to restore the Windows Activation info from my flash drive to my new installation.
    9) Installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.
    10) Installed the other applications I use.
    11) Checked everything worked and made a backup. Some may prefer to create the backup after they've installed the just the drivers and Windows Updates.

I didn't do it at the time, but someone recommended booting into Safe Mode for installing drivers. I think this is a good idea. It eliminates other running drivers that may interfere with your driver installation. I have seen a couple of posts where a user installed the Bluetooth driver and it borked their entire new clean Windows install. I suspect this occurred because another driver(s) running on the system interfered with the installation and corrupted it.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-06-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Updating the BIOS is pretty safe if you use EasyFlash. But if you don;t have keyboard issues, you really don't HAVE to do it. FOr which part of the process do you want a step-by-step tutorial?
    I feel confident enough to clean install win7...
    The tutorial i request is actually for the driver part, since I don't wanna miss anything important... So yeah, I'd just like to know what drivers I can't miss, and also some of, let's say, the "bloatware" that you kept for example, like P4G, and so on.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by XVeno View Post
    I feel confident enough to clean install win7...
    The tutorial i request is actually for the driver part, since I don't wanna miss anything important... So yeah, I'd just like to know what drivers I can't miss, and also some of, let's say, the "bloatware" that you kept for example, like P4G, and so on.
    • Intel chipset driver
    • Intel RST
    • Intel MEI (Windows Update will eventually install this, if you don't want to do it manually)
    • Nvidia graphics driver
    • Realtek Ethernet driver
    • Realtek multi-card reader driver
    • Fresco USB driver
    • Wireless adapter driver
    • Realtek HD Audio driver
    • Bluetooth driver (if applicable, if wanted)
    • Touchpad driver
    • ATK Package
    • No Asus bloatware

ROG Enthusiast Array

• Intel chipset driver
    where can I find that one?
    I think i'll start dl'ing the drivers to make sure i have everything set for the clean install

Directly from Intel. (link embedded)

Good idea. I think it's good practice to have all drivers ready before you start.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Directly from Intel. (link embedded)

Good idea. I think it's good practice to have all drivers ready before you start.
    Thanks Brody, you've been quite the support for my decision of getting a G74, despite all of the known issues.
    But then again, it's like most people say, statistically, the number of people that come to this forum to expose their issues is tremendously small compared to the number of people that are perfectly happy with their equipment. So, I guess I'll hold on to that idea, and I might even be lucky and get a issue-free machine...

ROG Enthusiast Array

One more question, I'm counting two RST drivers in the Intel website, do I need both of them?

You're absolutely right!

I think the incidence of hardware failure is probably pretty small. And since you are doing a clean install, you are drastically lowering your odds for software issues. You're better than lucky....you're smart. I'm sure it'll work great for you.

Quote Originally Posted by XVeno View Post
    One more question, I'm counting two RST drivers in the Intel website, do I need both of them?
    Just the first one. The second one is the multi-language installer.

PS: Did you get my PM about the BIOS update?

ROG Enthusiast Array

You're absolutely right!

I think the incidence of hardware failure is probably pretty small. And since you are doing a clean install, you are drastically lowering your odds for software issues. You're better than lucky....you're smart. I'm sure it'll work great for you.
    Yeah that's what I intend to do honestly.

Just the first one. The second one is the multi-language installer.

PS: Did you get my PM about the BIOS update?
    Yes I had, and I've downloaded the pdf.
    So far it seems quite easy, I just hope I don't brick it, even by following the steps flawlessly xD

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast