cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage v extreme USB 3.0 plastic thing came off.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Just earlier while pulling the USB 3.0 front panel cable out the plastic housing, by the sata 3 ports, around the pins pulled out with it. I went ahead and pushed the red plastic housing back on, but I don't know if any of the pins broke in the process. Is there anyway I could test if that port still works without risking whatever I plug in breaking?
8 REPLIES 8

FuryA
Level 8
hi Zara
Do You have photo for this SB 3.0 plastic thing came off.

Menthol
Level 14
Take a picture and verify all pins are still protruding up through the plastic housing and that they are straight, make sure none are touching each other before turning on power, if a pin broke off you will only loose use of the port, if there are pins touching each other can cause a short and damage the motherboard, also look at the cable to see if there are any pins broken off and stuck in the cable end
I had the same thing once and carefully replaced the plastic port housing back without any problem

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Here's a pic. All of the pins are definitely straight. I'm just worried the grounding pin might no longer be attached to the mobo.

FuryA
Level 8
hi Zara
It seems like has pushed the red plastic housing back and works fine.
It's ok, if the grounding plastic housing for plugging out not a physical damage

You may can use extended cable for USB 19 Pin connector with cable

kcmcc
Level 7
I feel like this happens to me every damn time I try to pull these USB 3.0 plugs out. I've tried every which way to separate the plug from the collar, but it always comes off with it. Multiple motherboards and cases. It's never done any damage and they do go back on rather easily as long as you line it up perfect.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Yeah, it works fine still.

kcmcc
Level 7
So I guess I am a dodo, if you tilt the plug to the left (towards the motherboard/back of the case) the two tiny tabs release with a little click and it comes right out.. For years I've been pulling it out wrong... DOI!

linxeye
Level 8
It's not like a plastic housing gone wrong might derail the greatest USB implementation of all time Asus has gifted us on the RVe 😄 (Sorry, couldn't resist).