cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does BIOS 202 fix Throttling Issues? (G74)

Bojamijams
Level 7
Just got myself a G74SX and in preparation for wiping everything and reloading drivers I noticed the need for ThrottleStop.

However the threads which say to use it are all older then the BIOS 202 release date which specifically says "Update thermal policy"

Is this the fix so that we don't need Throttlestop?

Or do we still need it even afterwards?

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

WhirledNews
Level 7
No it does not fix it, BIOS 203 doesn't fix it either. There is a way that you can manually edit the BIOS and then flash a modified version but ASUS frowns upon that and it will void your warranty.
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

Thanks for that tip... will definitely look into that

I don't want to make another thread just for this one question so hopefully you guys check this and can answer 🙂

I'm confused as to which LAN and Wireless drivers to use

In the Drivers, Apps and How-To's thread, under LAN it lists Atheros and Realtek drivers... but ASUS website for the G74SX only lists Realtek under Lan

Under Wireless, ASUS has WiMax drivers, Azurewave, Intel and also no Atheros whereas the thread on here only has Atheros and Intel

How do I know which one I should be using for my G74SX-RH71?

Thanks again.

The Drivers thread has expanded to include drivers for other models, like the G73.

The G74 uses a Realtek LAN chip and only uses the Realtek LAN driver.

As for wireless, you need to look in DEvice Manager to see which WLAN card you have. The G74 can have an Azurewave card (often called Atheros around here), or an Intel card. You need to determine which one you have and download/install the appropriate driver. (Let me know if you don't know how to check in Device Manager.)

zsld0423
Level 9
If you want to fix the throttling issue at the BIOS level, you need to download the BIOS 202 or 203 from the ASUS download page, and then you modify it with the program AMIBCP 4.5. You go in and manually enable the option to go into the Thermal Policy and you can disable the throttling there and remove the need for throttlestop. Read Lannigan's post on page 9 here,

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround/page9

and it will give you some easy instructions on modifying the BIOS 202/203 to fix the issue. If you have any questions or need help I'm glad to help, I flashed a modified BIOS on my own computer and I've had no issues running Skyrim, BF3, WoW, or Resident Evil 5 at max settings for extended amounts of time

-Zach
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

City_Builder
Level 7
I'm confused about Throttlestop. What does it do, or what does it fix?

What I'd like to do is to run my computer at full power all the time, i.e. 2.8 or 3.0GHz (or what ever the maximum is that I see the little monitor showing me when it's under a full load) since I run it all the time on the power supply so I'm not concerned about battery life. Does doing the "fix" do that for me?

Not unless you overclock it, which you can't with the current BIOS. The cpu's highest speed is controlled by Intel Turbo Boost, which is a set of instructions on the chip that interacts with your power/thermal management software in your OS. You can only turn TB on or off: turning it off via ThrottleStop or even the BIOS will cause the chip to run at its stock non-boosted speed all the time (e.g. for the core i7 2630QM, thats 2 GHz).
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
You can only turn TB on or off: turning it off via ThrottleStop or even the BIOS will cause the chip to run at its stock non-boosted speed all the time (e.g. for the core i7 2630QM, thats 2 GHz).

Not true. On the newer CPUs like the 2630QM you can use ThrottleStop 4.00 to adjust the amount of turbo boost now. The original Core i CPUs were all or nothing but now the amount of Turbo Boost is adjustable so it is more flexible when trying to control a hot running laptop.

ThrottleStop 4.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

unclewebb wrote:
Not true. On the newer CPUs like the 2630QM you can use ThrottleStop 4.00 to adjust the amount of turbo boost now. The original Core i CPUs were all or nothing but now the amount of Turbo Boost is adjustable so it is more flexible when trying to control a hot running laptop.

ThrottleStop 4.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Thats good to know, thanks! Can one then use ThrottleStop to ask the chip to turbo more than the intel set limit?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40