cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Loses Signal on Maximus VIII

OMGDrAcula
Level 9
Hey guys!
So randomly on Sunday I was playing Guild Wars 2 when I noticed that every 10 seconds pretty much on the dot. Whatever key I pressed would get stuck momentarily.

I looked at my keyboard(Asus ROG Claymore Core) and every 10 seconds the LEDs would flicker once for a split second like it lost power for a split second and turned back on. Like blink of the eye quick.
I moved it to a different USB port set and it was fine for 5 hours. I moved my mouse to the problem port and it did not seem to have the issue.
I have this MOBO

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

I believe the port I had it in was the "Keybot" port Last night I was playing Overwatch with some friends for about 3-4 hours. Keyboard was fine the whole time. Only after we were just BSing on discord did the issue restart. Swapping ports seemed again to remedy the issue. So not sure if it is just that port or the whole hub.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnotherGrizzledIndigowingedparrot-size_restricted.gif

After that happens whatever key I press gest stuck for a second so if I hit "D" it will be "DDDDDDDDDD" The duration is not always that quick I have seen it be around a second long blackout and as far as I can tell does not happen every X seconds anymore like I originally stated.
I tried with my old k70 after 4 hours of gaming it did not have the issue. Figured if I plugged in the claymore the issue would show right away but it didn't.
So now I am still not sure if it is the MOBO or keyboard.

I have made sure Windows cannot turn off USB to save power. Reinstalled drivers clean as well.

I asked on typical support subs but didn't get a response. So this is my last resort.
Both items are well under warranty. Keyboard is a month old. MOBO is under a year. Should I just say screw it and RMA both?
8 REPLIES 8

Legolas
Level 9
I recommend you to do some troubleshoot steps to isolated the problem.
1) Test your keyboard in another port is good start
2) Test your keyboard in another computer to see if you still have the same problem. If it does, you know that something is malfunctioning with the keyboard and send it in and RMA the keyboard.
3) Test another keyboard on the motherboard. If the problem do not occur with new keyboard, it means the motherboard is fine.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
I recommend you to do some troubleshoot steps to isolated the problem.
1) Test your keyboard in another port is good start
2) Test your keyboard in another computer to see if you still have the same problem. If it does, you know that something is malfunctioning with the keyboard and send it in and RMA the keyboard.
3) Test another keyboard on the motherboard. If the problem do not occur with new keyboard, it means the motherboard is fine.

Hey Legolas! Thanks for the reply. I tested my K70 with it last night and no issue. I gamed for 4 hours and then unplugged my k70 and then plugged my claymore in. I did this to assume since the issue arose after or during gaming sessions that maybe it was a power issue. Sadly the claymore did not show the issue. So I guess last thing to do is try it in another computer and see if it does it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

magnusr
Level 7
I had some issues on my ranger viii after updating to 3007. My Logitech g510s keyboard cannot enter bios anymore.

Also a couple of times it was suddenly dead the next day. Mouse works. A reboot solves it. My computer is running 24/7.

No problems at all using bios 2002. Happend after upgrading to bios 3007.

magnusr wrote:
I had some issues on my ranger viii after updating to 3007. My Logitech g510s keyboard cannot enter bios anymore.

Also a couple of times it was suddenly dead the next day. Mouse works. A reboot solves it. My computer is running 24/7.

No problems at all using bios 2002. Happend after upgrading to bios 3007.

Maybe I will flash back then. Issue hasn't happened the past couple days, but it didn't happen until a week after I updated my BIOS to I believe 3007. Thanks!

Legolas
Level 9
Great idea, to revert BIOS to 2202
Sincerely,
Legolas

Probably it is not the same issue but I also have a weird problem with my Logitech G15 keyboard. Once or twice a month when I start my PC the keyboard is basically dead and its LEDs are off until I see the Windows load screen and the drivers kick in. It has happened with every BIOS version I have run so far (right since 1402 up to the current 3007). It happens rarely but I wonder if anybody has experienced the same problem and has found a solution.

After some recent Windows 10 or other updates my Roccat Sova keyboard started to disconnect and completely stopped working (Windows reported USB device malfunction when connecting). It didn't work if I directly connected it to any of my Maximus VIII Hero's USB ports. It's like it didn't get enough power. I managed to get it to work by connecting it to a separate USB 3.0 Hub (in my monitor), and the hub to the USB 3.1 port.

Other info: BIOS 2202. Changing Windows' USB power saving settings made no difference. Reinstalling USB drivers made no difference.

UPDATE: I think it finally works after I connected the USB 3.0 Hub to the USB 3.1 port.

Action83 wrote:
After some recent Windows 10 or other updates my Roccat Sova keyboard started to disconnect and completely stopped working (Windows reported USB device malfunction when connecting). It didn't work if I directly connected it to any of my Maximus VIII Hero's USB ports. It's like it didn't get enough power. I managed to get it to work by connecting it to a separate USB 3.0 Hub (in my monitor), and the hub to the USB 3.1 port.

Other info: BIOS 2202. Changing Windows' USB power saving settings made no difference. Reinstalling USB drivers made no difference.

UPDATE: I think it finally works after I connected the USB 3.0 Hub to the USB 3.1 port.

Did you ever find a fix? I'm connected to a hub using the 3.1 port but none of my other 3.0 or 2.0 ports work (not even the 3.0 headers. I plugged in a USB drive, it lights up then almost instantly turns off. Windows and BIOS doesn't register these ports as enabled. Tried all the windows settings for power, turned off fastboot and ability to shutoff usb, reinstalling Windows 10, and nothing has changed. Another odd thing is that the USB xHCI Controller always produces error code 10. Updated all my drivers from ASUS, still nothing.

Edit: no power to the EZ Flashback port like the other ports, but I can use the flash button and update it when the power is off; no idea what to do at this point.