cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS IX HERO Front USB 3.1 connector

zombie_
Level 7
I recently purchased the IX HERO and want to add a usb 3.0 memory card reader in one of my empty 5.25" drive bays.
The motherboard has a front 19 pin USB 3.0 connector along with a front USB 3.1 connector.
I can not seem to find any accessories that plug into the 3.1 connector and am not sure if this is a new/special ASUS connector. Is there an adapter that can plug into this 3.1 connector and then provide a 19 pin USB connector instead?
Is the motherboards USB3.1_E1 a non standard connector?

Any help is appreciated!
thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

kkn
Level 14
use the usb 3.0, the usb 3.1 is a new connector that came out 2'ish years ago and as standard last year.
usb 3.1 have faster transfer speed compare to usb 3.0.

Thanks

Unfortunately I already am using the 3.0 connector for the chassis front panel. So seeing that the 3.0 header is full I was hoping to find something compatible with the 3.1 header. I could live with 3.0 speeds from this header if there was some adapter. *

You can get a usb 3.1 port (or set of ports) that go into an empty PCI card slot bracket on the back of the case, then a cable connects the ports to that header (it doesnt actually use a PCI slot on the motherboard, just the bracket).

I also posted this to the THREAD: USB 3.1 FRONT PANEL CONNECTOR CABLE?

After searching and not finding a 3.5" drive bay with USB-C 10Gbps port and a 3.1_e1 cable/connector, I ended up making my own. I posted the process on reddit and imgur - https://imgur.com/gallery/Qbaqa
I used the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard. I will be showing the reader how I made and installed a 3.5" drive bay with USB connections into my DAW rack case and how I connected it to the motherboards headers including the USB3.1_e1.

Hope this helps.