cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to overclock Ramapge V edition 10 with i7-6850K

Lexenz
Level 7
Hi pros!

I have been trying to overclock my cpu with the motherboard for 2 days now.
As I am a noob in this field. I copied exactly from one of the youtube videos whose settings are like this:

CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = 34
Max. CPU cache ratio = 34
CPU Load-line Calibration = Level 6
Long duration package power limit = 4095
short duration package power limit = 4095
CPU core voltage = 1.20
CPU cache voltage = 1.15
CPU input voltage = 1.8
(The youtuber's RAM is XMP at 3603MHz, but he down it to 3000mhz)

So here's what I did:

Core Ratio = 4,5 GHz (all synced)
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = 35
Max. CPU cache ratio = 35
CPU core voltage = 1.30.
CPU cache voltage = 1.20
CPU input voltage = 1.8

However, when I click ok to restart the pc, I keep getting the error code: "bd" or "76" and I had to continously hold shut down button and boot it again.
When it finally reaches windows. I turned on cpuz to see, and found myself still in the default state. Even when I restarted and head to the bios page, my overclocking settings are there, but I was unable to see a increase at the right hand side of the photo.

Any idea what should I do?

My suspicion were:
-I have installed asus suite 3.

Hope anyone would help me out 😞 as I paid such a hefty price but wasn't able to overclock at all.....
20 REPLIES 20

Johan45
Level 7
Plug and play settings very seldom work for everyone even with the exact same parts. Overclocking should be a slow process of testing, finding a stable ground and then proceed IF temps/volts allow.
What I would do at this point is enter BIOS and hit F5 for defaults then reboot. Enter BIOS again and set XMP then reboot. Now you're ready to try some overclocking.
Start with a manual voltage of 1.2-1.25 and start with 38-40 multiplier. Reboot and see if it gets to windows if so, shut down, enter BIOS and up the multiplier and try again. Keep doing this until windows won't boot. Back down one multiplier and work at getting that clock relatively stable with the stress test of your choice. Aiida64, realbench etc....
Once you have this clock stable save it in your profile so that when things go off the rails and you're having trouble you have a stable clock to start over from. From here do it one multiplier at a time until your temp threshold is reached.
Taking some notes is always a good habit so you can look back and see what you changed. This will help you identify what is helping and what isn't.

To Johan:

Thanks for the tip, now I decided to set as follows:

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual00
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = 34
Max. CPU cache ratio = 34
CPU core voltage = 1.25
CPU cache voltage = 1.20
CPU input voltage = 1.8
DRAM Voltage = 1.2

The process of restarting actually worked! I didn't have to force shut down and boot it again! However, when I load the CPUZ and also in the bios page, it is still showing a default clock speed of 3.6GHZ, however the indicating core voltage showed 1.25V. (Better than previous which was nothing lol). I suppose that is good news, but yea... surely there should be a change in the frequencies...? The only thing that was constant was the core voltage value. However the frequency didnt changed to 4GHZ.

Regarding about the multiplier, what is setting you are refering to? Is it the CPU strap value or the BCLK Frequency or the 1-core ratio limit? As I have never overclock such a board before I am unsure of the details. (My previous overclocking skill is a P45 Board with a E8400 lol)

To Menthol:

Thanks for the welcome message. I understand what you mean by such lottery luck, so I tried your settings as well.

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
Mutiplier(I presume is the 1-core ratio you are talking about) = 45
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = Auto
Max. CPU cache ratio = 36
CPU core voltage = 1.40
CPU cache voltage = 1.30
CPU input voltage = 1.8
DRAM Voltage = 1.2

So I gave it a test, amazing that booted up as well lol. So I was able to log into windows!
I turned on cpuz to see the frequencies.. sadly it is still at a default state..... This led me thinking is it normal for me to see the cpuz running at lower frequencies? I didn't even see a 4 at all on the mutiplier nor on the frequency at cpuz. It is still idling from as low as 1.2GHz-3.6Ghz only. Do I have to run aida64 for me to see it?
And so... I just used aida64 for the first time, how long should I stress the CPU...?

To both Johan and Menthol:

I apologize for the noob-ness in using this forum, I was not able to quote 2 of their messages in the reply section. Thus I have to type out this long message.
And once again my RAM is presumed not compatible at all with the board... not sure if your are able to check for me... the memory list is worse than X99 MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon, which has a full range of "wow-omg" list of memories that can be searched easily.

G.Skill
F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Timing 16-18-18-38
Cas Latency 16
Voltage 1.35V

I did try to search through the lack of info list from the main website of the x99 asus, did not managed to find the model for this. Thus I felt that it was the one causing the overclocking to be unstable (as in I wasn't able to restart nor boot properly).

Apologies once again if I am not sure what I have said is correct as all these are based on my assumptions lol.

Menthol
Level 14
Lexenz,
Welcome to the forums, copying someone else s settings rarely results in success. Looking on Silicon Lottery's web site, they sell 4.5 GHZ 6850's tested at 1.408 volts which will be kind of high for an AIO cooler to keep up with the generated heat, but you get the idea, if your chip will run at 4.5 with less than 1.4 volts you have a very good CPU https://siliconlottery.com/collections/2011-3/products/6850k44g
Set F5 defaults manually enter 1.4 volts and 45 multiplier leaving all else on defaults to see if your system boots, this should be a quick test to see if your CPU is even capable of 4.5 GHZ, every CPU is different, in my opinion 4.2 GHZ is a more realistic expectation and a much better daily clock as it will require less voltage
As for your settings
AVX offsett of 2 or 3 is good
leave minimum cache ratio on auto and set the max to desired ratio, which on BW-E is 38 max but 34 to 36 is a more realistic speed with a cache voltage of 1.2 to 1.3 maximum, much better to keep cache voltage around 1.2 and cache speed at whatever your CPU will do at that voltage otherwise temps skyrocket
no need to set package power limits, leave them on default-auto
input voltage 1.9 to 1.95 max with LLC 5 to 7 to allow some vdroop
read this guide for a better understanding http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/
Remember every CPU is different, keep expectations realistic, and most of all have fun

Johan45
Level 7
In your BIOS multiplier = CPU core ratio Right now you still have all power savings enabled so you may not see the set speed in windows. This will only happen under load but you can check multiplier in CPUz window right under core speed. At stock yours will say up to x38 since that's your turbo speed so if you set 39 core ratio and see that in CPUz then it is working.
As for multi quotes choose the small balloon to th far right for first ,second etc. and for last quote before replying use reply with quote and all of them should show up in your response

EDIT: I wouldn't worry too much about the ram. It should work just fine

Johan45 wrote:
In your BIOS multiplier = CPU core ratio Right now you still have all power savings enabled so you may not see the set speed in windows. This will only happen under load but you can check multiplier in CPUz window right under core speed. At stock yours will say up to x38 since that's your turbo speed so if you set 39 core ratio and see that in CPUz then it is working.
As for multi quotes choose the small balloon to th far right for first ,second etc. and for last quote before replying use reply with quote and all of them should show up in your response

EDIT: I wouldn't worry too much about the ram. It should work just fine

Hi Johan,

Thanks again for the response and tips.
As for power savings enabled, I really don't understand which mode is that in the bios. So luckily every setting has a description, I edited some of the settings as shown.

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual
Mutiplier(I presume is the 1-core ratio you are talking about) = 46
CPU Strap = 100 MHz
BLCK Frequency = 100
AXV offset = 3
Min. CPU cache ratio = Auto
Max. CPU cache ratio = 36
CPU Power Phase Control = Extreme
CPU Power Duty Control = Extreme
CPU Integrated VR Efficiency Management = High Performance
CPU core voltage = 1.431250
CPU cache voltage = 1..40
CPU input voltage = 1.8
DRAM Voltage = 1.2
CPU C-States = Disabled.

After which, I wasn't able to log in to windows anymore. A huge number of 😞 shows in blue and gives the error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.
Despite numerous restarts, I wasn't able to go into windows.

Any solutions for this..?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Power savings in on the OS. It's normal for it to show the clock and Vcore decreased when at idle. Load up a bench that will stress it and the clocks will come right up. Not everyone gets the same results. It's all trial and error. Guides are a good starting point but you have to find your own sweet spot. Just walk it up a little at a time, run real bench, if it passes run it up some more of it starts crashing add a little more juice up until you get to where you aren't comfortable anymore. Heat is the enemy when you run up the Vcore.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Brighttail
Level 11
wow 1.43 v?. I have the 5930k which is the earlier model of yours. I was able to get 4.5 stable at 1.38v but scaled it down to 4.4 at 1.32.

I'm not sure I would be comfy running either the 5930k or the 6850 at 1.43 v.

I honestly think you are pushing the chip too hard. I spent a long time tweaking to get 4.5 fully stable. While I wasn't running over 75C under load, I still didn't like pumping 1.38v into it which is why I lowered it. I think I remember Raja posted in one of his articles pushing the 5930k over 1.33-1.35 wasn't really advised. The problem isn't just the CPU temp but you are really pushing the chipset and VRM, so unless you got a monoblock that covers all three be careful.

All that being said, I'm NOT the expert. I don't know the 'official' safe voltage for these chips and I haven't found a lot of folks overclocking or owning the 5930k or 6850k. Anyway you should be able to hit 4.4 with minimal tweaking. At that level I have no need to touch the load line calibration and have my cpu cache at 40.

I'm not sure if anyone else wants to chime in about 1.43v 🙂
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

JustinThyme wrote:
Power savings in on the OS. It's normal for it to show the clock and Vcore decreased when at idle. Load up a bench that will stress it and the clocks will come right up. Not everyone gets the same results. It's all trial and error. Guides are a good starting point but you have to find your own sweet spot. Just walk it up a little at a time, run real bench, if it passes run it up some more of it starts crashing add a little more juice up until you get to where you aren't comfortable anymore. Heat is the enemy when you run up the Vcore.*

Hi Justin, thanks for the tip! Seems like the power saving mode you meant was the power saver from windows itself (The one to choose balance, power saver or high performance). I clicked on high performance and I got a full 4.449GHZ with 1.4V. Thanks!

Now for the RAM, Johan said it is fine with no issues. However, regardless of setting XMP nor Manual mode with the recommended settings on the box, I still can't get it to work.... I would have to presume its not compatible ? Hope to have your input on this.

Brighttail wrote:
wow 1.43 v?. I have the 5930k which is the earlier model of yours. I was able to get 4.5 stable at 1.38v but scaled it down to 4.4 at 1.32.

I'm not sure I would be comfy running either the 5930k or the 6850 at 1.43 v.

I honestly think you are pushing the chip too hard. I spent a long time tweaking to get 4.5 fully stable. While I wasn't running over 75C under load, I still didn't like pumping 1.38v into it which is why I lowered it. I think I remember Raja posted in one of his articles pushing the 5930k over 1.33-1.35 wasn't really advised. The problem isn't just the CPU temp but you are really pushing the chipset and VRM, so unless you got a monoblock that covers all three be careful.

All that being said, I'm NOT the expert. I don't know the 'official' safe voltage for these chips and I haven't found a lot of folks overclocking or owning the 5930k or 6850k. Anyway you should be able to hit 4.4 with minimal tweaking. At that level I have no need to touch the load line calibration and have my cpu cache at 40.

I'm not sure if anyone else wants to chime in about 1.43v 🙂

Hi Brighttail, thanks for the response. I understand from your point of view you managed to do yours properly lol, but coming from a P45 board to X99 is a huge step hahaha thus I gave it at 1.43V at the start, then I dropped to 1.4V after listening to advice here hahah.

Given that a 1200W power and a pretty hefty cooler I shouldn't have to worry so much on the heat. And currently its running at 38-42C.

Brighttail
Level 11
While you may not have to worry about heat that isn't always the issue. Heat is the number one enemy but like you I have a water cooled system and even at 4.5 running 1.38 I was topping at 75C with an average of 66C underload, which means from a heat stand point, I have a tonne of head room.

The question then for me then is "what is the safest voltage to run this CPU" at for extended periods of time? There comes a point where you can damage your CPU when you add either too much voltage at once or too much voltage over a period of time.

I'm not 100% what that number is tho I remember reading one of Bahz's OC which mentioned out chip at max of 1.33 for running Prime 95, but apparently he used 1.47 testing with Handbrake. You can see it here: http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

In the guide he is testing the 5960x which has more cores and could take that chip up to 4.6 with 1.38 voltage on some samples. The key thing in that whole article that I saw was that after 1.35v on any chip, the amount of heat added with each .1v starts to become exponential. They found that 1.35 was the limit where the heating up became disproportional with the gains received.

All that being said it looks like he did crank the 5960k to 1.46 v for testing. Their testing specifications are: "Either way, our guidelines are to keep full-load temperatures under 80 Celsius and power consumption under 2 x stock TDP, whichever comes first." I'm not 100% sure how you check that second guide line but I would be interested if Bazh would love to weigh in here.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop