cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Keyboard & Battery RMA Question

Mousepad
Level 10
So my battery has been dead for some months now and stays at 0% with no ability to charge. Recently I've started having some keyboard issues where I press but nothing happens and I'll have to go back and add a letter here or there that didn't type.

Does anyone know the costs of an RMA repair for these types of issues? I've seen someone mention $200 for just the battery issue alone so I'm guessing $400 to fix keyboard and battery? I am asking as at that point I may as well just get a $1k MSI with a 1060 from Microcenter given there's no point in repairing a 2 year old laptop for half the price...
14 REPLIES 14

xeromist
Best to just contact support and ask. I don't know how they calculate the charge so having two issues may not double the cost. For example, they will only need to open the machine once to perform both tasks so it should be less labor unless everything is just a flat fee per issue.

With the keyboard, if it's always the same keys being missed then it's likely a hardware problem and swapping the KB will fix it. If it's missing random keys that could be a sign of something else. If you haven't already I'd make sure you have the latest BIOS and confirm you have the various supporting driver versions listed on the support page. I know they are old but sometimes they do work better. I have a laptop that started having several issues after Win10 helpfully updated IMEI. I rolled that back to an older version and it works great. The only thing I update now is GPU drivers.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Mousepad
Level 10
Thanks for the reply xeromist! I think it is random keys but I haven't been checking it super close. I will contact support and also install the IMEI off of the support page to see if that helps with anything. It's tough now with Windows just randomly downloading and installing whatever it wants without us having any say so....

xeromist
The laptop in question for me was a Lenovo and it seemed to be WIFI issues plus random restarts. But I've noticed people across brands have issues with IMEI. That's not the only thing though. It could be related to audio or some other firmware causing keyboard lag so I'd try all of the older drivers in the process of troubleshooting.

If you do find that Windows has sabotaged you then you'll have to disable driver updates or it will just do it again. It's not an intuitive process but if you Google it people have written guides.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Mousepad
Level 10
I will try that, thanks! I got a response from support and my estimate wasn't far off as they quoted an estimate of $410.

xeromist
If you do decide to ebay it, you're going to have to do a system reset anyway. So I would do it before you click buy on a new machine. A reset *may* fix the dropped keys where nothing else did and you already know you can replace the battery yourself (if you want to). So I would at least try that before ditching it if you have the patience.

Not worth it, get a new one. The replacement batteries are also terrible. My next laptop won't be an Asus for sure.
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

nemerdekel wrote:
Not worth it, get a new one. The replacement batteries are also terrible. My next laptop won't be an Asus for sure.

Did the replacement battery also stop charging for you or was it just typical poor performance from aftermarket generic batteries? Wondering in case I ever find a cheap 751 secondhand. I might not bother if all the batteries are unpredictable.

xeromist wrote:
Did the replacement battery also stop charging for you or was it just typical poor performance from aftermarket generic batteries? Wondering in case I ever find a cheap 751 secondhand. I might not bother if all the batteries are unpredictable.

The 'chinese' ones don't work from the start and the genuine ones fail after 12 months again, in my opinion it's not worth the money to replace it every year
Laptop: G751JL
Processor: i7-4750HQ
Graphics Card: GTX 965M
Memory: 8 GB Samsung (stock)
Storage #1: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
Storage #2: 1 TB 7200 rpm (stock)

xeromist wrote:
If you do decide to ebay it, you're going to have to do a system reset anyway. So I would do it before you click buy on a new machine. A reset *may* fix the dropped keys where nothing else did and you already know you can replace the battery yourself (if you want to). So I would at least try that before ditching it if you have the patience.

Yea I was thinking of doing a whole system reset before I jump ship to a new one. Do you think anyone would even buy a laptop like this with battery not working and keyboard issues? Obviously it still has all the other components working but if you can't type properly on it....