Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Please do the following

One stick of ram only in your board
    Will your board boot?
    Post back with the result before we do anything else.

ROG Member Array

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I am only using 1 stick of memory. If I use any single one stick in any single red slot I get the same AE error, and a blinking cursor. I can also fill up all eight slots, and the BIOS shows 32GB, but I still get the AE error. If I use my old Super Talent 1333 sticks I get a 66 error, and a blank screen (no cursor).

I have tried using PCI-E1 and PCI-E2 but same result. I also tried E3 and E4. I suppose it is possible that the primary EATX cable, or the 4-pin or 8-pin cables are bad, but this PS still works on my old Rampage III setup with 24GB.

ROG Enthusiast Array MacClipper's Avatar

Have you tried troubleshooting your rig outside the casing yet? A mobo box usually makes a great temporary mobo tray.

Three motherboards and none will boot or even post, statistically that is nearly impossible. Therefore the problem has to be located else where.

Please check each and every power connector that comes from your PSU to your motherboard. Make sure that all the little metal inserts in the plastic connectors are present and that they are connected to the appropriate wire. I have had cases when a connector has been the issue and all because of a loose wire.

But my gut says that the CPU is the key here. Please can you have your CPU checked to see if that works.

This thread has been subscribed too so I can follow up on what is going on here.
    Last edited by HiVizMan; 01-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.

ROG Member Array

I'm leaning against a CPU problem. Two of the boards did work OK except both boards would go into a rebooting loop with error code 31 if DIMM slot C2 was populated and both boards would not register the stick in DIMM slot C1. Still, if I loaded all DIMM sticks except slot C2, both boards worked fine, except I only had 24GB of RAM. I was able to run some 20GB CFD models over a weekend while I was waiting for the replacement board and had no problems.

Today I went out and bought a Corsair AX1200W PS. This PS does not have a 4-pin cable like my previous PS, so that 4-pin MB connector is unconnected. Nevertheless, same result. Still getting an AE error code, and a blinking cursor.
    Last edited by PorknBeanz; 01-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.

PSU off the list of possible causes. Nice PSU by the way.

I am assuming that you have used both the 12v 8pin and the 4pin connector with your new PSU.

Can you confirm that each stick of ram has passed memtest for two cycles at the xmp profile setting?

CPU not quite decided on that being in the clear is it possible for you to get the store where you bought the boards and the CPU to test the CPU in another board?

I feel your frustration and really want to resolve this situation with you.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Your particular prob could be the CPU too. You see, the IMC (Integrated memory controller) is in the CPU, and the memory data traces go directly from the CPU to the mem slots. It's possible that your CPU has a bad IMC in the C slot area. IMHO you should try RMA of CPU, or at least confirm this with another model mobo somehow. Perhaps you can borrow a CPU from a local mom-and-pop computer shop? If you left your present one there, that would ease their concerns of your reliability a bit. Worth a try anyway.

EDIT: I see HiVizMan beat me to that one, by 8 minutes, while I was composing.
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

@ HalloweenWeed Great minds and all that (hmm or was it something about fools never differing???)

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

....We got us a ROG going on...i knew it wouldnt be long...awesome.guyz.c.

ROG Member Array

This problem is resolved!!!

Since I've swapped out every hardware component, I thought I would look at software. I reconnected my old PS and pulled the HDD from this machine and used it to boot up another machine. Everything went fine on that machine and it booted normally into Windows 7. So this verified that the HDD was good. I put the HDD back into the machine with the troublesome motherboard, and started it from the Windows 7 install disc. I did the startup repair and it said there were no problems. I pulled the disc out, and restarted and it booted normally and began to load the drivers. After a few restarts, everything is working fine except the screen locks up occasionally saying it recovered from an Nvidia driver error. I'll play with some new video drivers and let it run overnight. The system is able to use 32GB of RAM.

Maybe the video driver was causing the problems?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast