cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 Strix fan control bugged

ayylmao78
Level 7

For some reasons my fans fluctuate a lot even though the temp stays at 37C stable. Here are my settings

Is this a bug? Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino wrote:
Which preset (OC, Gaming, Silent) are you using?

Modified OC with Voltage Temp Target and Power target all maxed out

It's happening again -

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
This is how the default profile should look.

Did you modify the fan curve during your overclocking?

Yes I did. But I don't think it's the reason for this. I just noticed that one of my GPU fans makes a distinct rattling buzzing sound and upon closer inspection I noticed that it doesn't work very well. It tries to speed up as its 2 other fan brothers but it ends up going very slowly and making a weird rattle sound. I think it touches the fan ceiling in some places. Now I have to figure out how to fix that. Guess I'll have to disassemble the fan chassis and see what I can do

ayylmao78
Level 7
So I disassembled the fan in question and tried to reseat it. No luck. When I turn on the computer it works fine for about a minute but then the fan starts ****ing up and making noise before stopping abruptly. It then continues to spin but at a much lower speed compared to other 2 fans. Should I RMA? Is there any way to replace the fan?

ayylmao78 wrote:
So I disassembled the fan in question and tried to reseat it. No luck. When I turn on the computer it works fine for about a minute but then the fan starts ****ing up and making noise before stopping abruptly. It then continues to spin but at a much lower speed compared to other 2 fans. Should I RMA? Is there any way to replace the fan?

If your GPU is still within the warranty period, you should RMA it. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
Right now there are no replacement fans available on the newer cards I'm sure there will be with some time. *Until then the only alternative is to RMA, find someone willing to part with fans that went liquid cooled or go liquid cooled.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Right now there are no replacement fans available on the newer cards I'm sure there will be with some time. *Until then the only alternative is to RMA, find someone willing to part with fans that went liquid cooled or go liquid cooled.

How expensive is Liquid? Does it involve removing all of the fans?

Edit: Do you think these fans will fit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-iGame-1080-GPU-Fan-88m-For-STRIX-GTX980Ti-R9-...