cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak II Monitor Will Not Start

ikrananka
Level 7
I have just upgraded my motherboard, CPU and memory and completed reinstalling Windows 10 and all of my software. Now, GPU Tweak II (v1.4.0.8) starts okay, but the monitor will not open. This worked fine on my old motherboard with the same graphics card (Asus GTX 1070). I found an error in the Windows logs that seems to detail the issue:

Faulting application name: Monitor.exe, version: 1.2.2.9, time stamp: 0x582c24f8
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.14393.576, time stamp: 0x584a76ba
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00103b00
Faulting process ID: 0x2524
Faulting application start time: 0x01d27980937f9dd1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII\Monitor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll
Report ID: e85e752d-cac8-4739-a8b0-fccb71cfc544
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event ID: 1000

Can anyone help?
15 REPLIES 15

JustinThyme
Level 13
What I can tell you is this happens for some and not for others. *I can also tell you that GPU tweak is evolving, they are always working on the next release.*
For most simply disabling fast boot in windows remedies this. *For others a work around of opening the settings and unchecking the box to start monitor with GPU Tweak, closing the app, launching it and rechecking the box, then closing the app again and rebooting.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What I can tell you is this happens for some and not for others. *I can also tell you that GPU tweak is evolving, they are always working on the next release.*
For most simply disabling fast boot in windows remedies this. *For others a work around of opening the settings and unchecking the box to start monitor with GPU Tweak, closing the app, launching it and rechecking the box, then closing the app again and rebooting.*

So are you saying that some others have this exact same error, i.e. the one related to combase.dll?

I have hibernation disabled which also means fast boot is disabled so that isn't the issue. I also tried the settings procedure that you described and unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Dr_Manhattan
Level 7
I have used MSI Afterburner for years without any problems but recently I purchased 2x Asus STRIX GTX1080 and just decided to use GPU tweak II as the software is from the same vendor of the board.
Well, what I found till now is:
Random problems with Windows 10 till I install the v1.4.0.8
Now some problems has fixed but randomly the program doesn't start with windows or start and don't show. (You can see the icon in the tray bar but you can bring the window up)
To solve the problem of GPU Tweak II start but doesn't show the window I changed the configuration to always start and removed the "minimized" option.
Still sometimes doesn't load from startup.

I'm uninstalling GPU Tweak II and will try EVGA PrecisionX OC. If is not stable I will return back to MSI AB

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
I have used MSI Afterburner for years without any problems but recently I purchased 2x Asus STRIX GTX1080 and just decided to use GPU tweak II as the software is from the same vendor of the board.
Well, what I found till now is:
Random problems with Windows 10 till I install the v1.4.0.8
Now some problems has fixed but randomly the program doesn't start with windows or start and don't show. (You can see the icon in the tray bar but you can bring the window up)
To solve the problem of GPU Tweak II start but doesn't show the window I changed the configuration to always start and removed the "minimized" option.
Still sometimes doesn't load from startup.

I'm uninstalling GPU Tweak II and will try EVGA PrecisionX OC. If is not stable I will return back to MSI AB

Years ago I tried the suite of Asus utility software for my motherboard and found them all to be as buggy as hell and swiftly uninstalled them all and have never touched any Asus utility software since. That is until I bought the my Asus GTX 1070 video card and wanted to overclock it so tried GPU Tweak II. It worked great with my old motherboard but not with my new one,. even after several fresh installs of Windows.

I'm actually thinking that this may be more motherboard related rather than Windows. I have one of the new Z270 boards (Maximus IX Hero) and I'm wondering if GPU Tweak II isn't yet fully compatible with the new boards.....

I've sent in a tech support request and will report back here if I have any success there. Unfortunately, I have previously found their tech support to be as lacking as their utility software.

Nate152
Hi guys,

It's an issue with sonic studio 3 and GPU Tweak II, close sonic studio 3 and the GPU Tweak II monitor should open.

The Asus driver team is working on a fix.

You may also notice in GPU tweak II the core clock speed isn't reading correctly with the latest nvidia driver 378.49, they are working on this as well.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys,

It's an issue with sonic studio 3 and GPU Tweak II, close sonic studio 3 and the GPU Tweak II monitor should open.

You may also notice in GPU tweak II the core clock speed isn't reading correctly with the latest nvidia driver 378.49, they are working on this as well.

I can confirm also the wrong readouts on the core clock speed with new nvidia drivers also. I hope Asus does not drop apps support on z170 ROG boards. AI suite need a urgent fix plus other apps. most does not work.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thank you Nate - that indeed does work - shutting down Sonic Studio 3 allows the GPU Tweak II Monitor to start. I don't suppose there is any kind of timeline on the fix being released, is it weeks or months?

In the meantime, I'd be okay with disabling Sonic Studio 3 seeing as I don't use ANY of it's functions. However, I see there is no setting to stop it starting up - does this mean that it has to be running for the motherboard onboard sound to work properly? Or can I manually remove it from Windows startup with no ill effects?

GPUTweak v1.4.2.3 with the Honor & Ghost Recon skin has appeared on the ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING downloads. This at least has solved my problem with not being able to open the monitor.

BUT, the skin is just bloody awful and so distracting. Try reading the text on the Info tab!!!!! Just incredible. There should at least be an option to turn the skin off.

ikrananka wrote:
GPUTweak v1.4.2.3 with the Honor & Ghost Recon skin has appeared on the ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING downloads. This at least has solved my problem with not being able to open the monitor.

BUT, the skin is just bloody awful and so distracting. Try reading the text on the Info tab!!!!! Just incredible. There should at least be an option to turn the skin off.

Hello, I'm having issues gettting my GPU tweak II to start in Windows 10. Because I can't launch the software, my GPU controlled fans are now useless. This is a massive inconvenience and should be grounds for a refund. I have tried re-installing multiple times now.

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on before I am forced to reformat the P.C? No other background applications are running.

Z270x Gaming 5
ROG 1070
8Gb RAM