cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM GL702VM owners, have you updated your Thunderbolt firmware?

link626
Level 7
There's a thunderbolt fw update that was released on 12/21 for the 502/702VM laptops.

Has anyone tried installing this?

cuz I can't get the updater to run at all. The updater won't open.

I just want to know what the thunderbolt NVM and PD versions are.

In the G501vw, you could see which firmware version you were running in the thunderbolt software, but in the 502VM, you can't.
5 REPLIES 5

U2Desire
Level 7
Worked for me. I think I deleted Thunderbolt software than ran the firmware update than installed latest Thunderbolt software. This is what I get. The unknowns I hope is because I have nothing plugged into port. I also don't see anything in Device Manager so am a bit concerned by that.

This is for the GL702VM.
I just noticed that the GL502 has a new version of the software I wonder if it is compatible with the GL702???

Update to the new version from the GL502 drivers section and also re-applied the firmware now I get:

link626
Level 7
that's what i wanted to see.

the nvm version is really old. Dell and everyone else are up to version 15+

Yeah I think Intel is up to 18 now but unfortunately you can't get the firmware and software direct from Intel. ASUS being so slow in posting even simple drivers updates on the support page is really pissing me off. I ended downloading most of the drivers from the GL702VS support page for the stuff that is the same since that page has more updated drivers for Touchpad, Cardreader and Intel stuff. Heck even the GL502VM support page had a couple of things new than what is posted on the GL702VM's support page.
Its to bad we couldn't use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26141/Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-Tool but its for the NUC.
I will likely take these things into consideration when I upgrade again in 3-5 yrs time.

U2Desire wrote:
Yeah I think Intel is up to 18 now but unfortunately you can't get the firmware and software direct from Intel. ASUS being so slow in posting even simple drivers updates on the support page is really pissing me off. I ended downloading most of the drivers from the GL702VS support page for the stuff that is the same since that page has more updated drivers for Touchpad, Cardreader and Intel stuff. Heck even the GL502VM support page had a couple of things new than what is posted on the GL702VM's support page.
Its to bad we couldn't use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26141/Thunderbolt-3-Firmware-Update-Tool but its for the NUC.
I will likely take these things into consideration when I upgrade again in 3-5 yrs time.

yeah, the thunderbolt firmware updates are not compatible.
intel's won't work, even though the thunderbolt chip is the same. This really sucks that something made by intel doesn't have universal firmware, and doesn't work universally like intel graphics do.

As soon as Asus drops support for the 502/702, that's the end of your compatibility with future thunderbolt accessories.

Asus computer owners need to band together and bug Asus for firmware updates.

The G752VY hasn't even received a thunderbolt update since january 2016.

But even that one is version 13, so I don't know why the 502/702 only gets version 4. Something doesn't seem right, and it's too bad we can't test if it works properly because there's not a lot of thunderbolt accessories on the market.