cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing CPU Core Temperatures after BIOS update

technick
Level 7
New rog maximus ix hero motherboard with intel 7700k processor, less than a week old. Did a bios update last night and today the system started crashing. Upon some inspection, I noticed my cpu fans were off (Cooler Master 212X) and I can't explain why. I clicked over on the asus AI suite button on the right of my screen, selected a fan speed and it came back on. Really confused to why the cpu fan would of stopped working. I went on to look at my temperatures in HWMonitor and none of the cores are reporting temperature, all of them show 0C (32F).

To double check everything, I booted into a live Linux Distro and ran
sensors -f
and it reported the same thing. Thinking it was the bios, I flashed back the bios to version 222 from the latest 0701 and still am missing the cpu core temperatures and package temperatures.

Not sure how I am supposed to proceed to fix this?

Outside of the temperature issues, I ran Prime95 for several minutes and didn't have any errors. The Asus AI software says my CPU temperature is 51.8F while running Prime95, which is impossible...

Thanks in advance for the help.

UPDATE: I double checked the bios, thermal monitoring is enabled and the bios is reporting the cpu temperature as being 51f, same as the asus software.
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hi technick

Welcome to the ROG forum.

If you have the cpu temperature set to read in Farenheit in the bios this could be why it's not showing temperatures in celsius.

elmor
Level 10
Those temperatures are read directly from the CPU. Are you able to test your CPU in a different motherboard to see if you still have this issue? Might also be worth to test USB BIOS Flashback in order to reset your ME configuration.

I took the system back to where I purchased all the parts at yesterday and got the bottom of it. I first exchanged the motherboard and the behavior was the same, under the monitor section of the bios, it was reporting 11c, 51f, the same as the AI Suite software in windows. That never changed, even under prime 95. After that, changed out the CPU and the temperature readings came back.

The standing theory is the cpu temperature probe must of died, causing the asus ai software to believe the cpu temperature was 51f and it powered the cpu fan off.

TL;DR: CPU had issues and once it was replaced, problem went away.

Thank you for taking a look and responding 😃