cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock recipes for i7-5820K cpu on X99-A II motherboard

jbhowlesr
Level 7
Howdy folks. I am looking to see if there is any good starting point overclock recipes for my board and CPU. I am currently running an EK custom cooling loop and I'd like to see what my 5820K can do. I have been looking around and found plenty of instructional videos but I guess what I am after is real solid setting to start from.
3 REPLIES 3

Klute_Onren
Level 9
Overclocking in general isn't something that applies to two different computers, even when the exact same components. That's the part of overclocking and tweaking that make it a hobby. I have a 5820k on an x99 Sabertooth and I had a hard time tweaking it. Currently it is at stock because I got tired of it. But for a simple OC you can set multiplier to 43 for a 4.3ghz clock which should be doable on any 5820k. Set the voltage to about 1.3 (can't remember, I think 1.35 is max recommended vcore) and stress test watching temps. If stable then up to 44 and test or drop vcore and test at 43. In general it's a method rather than a recipe. Find the limit's of each value when compared to another value. I got 4.5g stable on custom loop but have other problems with this machine. So I'm throwing it back to stock and building a new one. Some day I'll get back at this one and figure out what the problem is.

Your post got me back to clocking my 5820k

I set it to stock speeds, no turbo boost auto voltages, just 100 bclk 36 multi cpu and 30 cache. Going to stress test it multiple times and see if it boot's every single time. The problem I've had is that I can boot it, stress test to no end, works on typical use and gaming, then it just won't boot and says overclocking failed. Throw ontop of that that AIDA64 went stupid and instafails on cache or fpu test and I got turned off. Maybe I'll fire up my F@H again while stressing, had to stop folding when this machine took a crap.

Today I started a log thread in the x99 section of this forum. Your post inspired me to get back at it and start a thorough method rather than throwing setting's around. You can check it out however it's very simple right now, basic setting's and pushing multiplier at certain vcore. Eventually I'll get into other things but I want this machine to post several times after each change I make along side stress testing. That way I know for certain it was stable before I went on to the next thing.