cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VD - ROG Gaming Center stops working, fan speed, and SSD installation

hotpotghost
Level 7
I just bought a 15.6 inch GL553VD laptop last week, and I'm running into an issue where ROG Gaming Centre starts, works for a few seconds, and suddenly says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". The window only has a "Close program" button and no informative error message. I'm up to date on graphics drivers and BIOS, so I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I'm not up to date w/ is a Windows update. Could that be it? Any help would be appreciated!

Now this might be a dumb question, but are fan speeds of 3194RPM normal during idle? I've found that the fan gets extremely loud at times when I only have one Firefox tab open to, say, gmail, and nothing else. It's my first gaming laptop and I'm not sure what to expect. The air it blows out is actually colder than room temperature, and the BIOS says the CPU is at 53 degrees. So I'm not sure why the fan is turning so fast.

Lastly, I know that some manufacturers will nullify your warranty if you open the laptop, but I couldn't find a sticker/manual that said that for this particular laptop model. So if I open up my GL553VD to install an SSD, would that cancel my warranty? The ASUS site says it lasts for a year. (And is there a way to check if my laptop can even install an SSD? I've seen retailers sell versions of this laptop with SSD, but mines didn't come with one. )

More information:
Windows 10 64-bit
ASUS ROG GL553VD
I7-7700HQ
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
GTX1050

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

link626
Level 7
you will not void warranty if you open the cover.

fan speed is temperature based. 53C is a little warm, so that's why it spins at 3000rpm. When it's in the 40's, fan will spin 1500-2000

Doesn't this model come with fan control in the gaming center? Are you able to spin the fans slower?

For the few seconds that it worked before encountering an error, it had something called Fan Boost. But it only allows me to increase the fan speed, not decrease it. I'm not sure why it's so warm, considering I'm not running anything 😕

Is 3000rpm considered high? I saw a few forums and it said it could possibly damage your laptop.

hghattas
Level 7
hotpotghost wrote:
I just bought a 15.6 inch GL553VD laptop last week, and I'm running into an issue where ROG Gaming Centre starts, works for a few seconds, and suddenly says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". The window only has a "Close program" button and no informative error message. I'm up to date on graphics drivers and BIOS, so I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I'm not up to date w/ is a Windows update. Could that be it? Any help would be appreciated!

Now this might be a dumb question, but are fan speeds of 3194RPM normal during idle? I've found that the fan gets extremely loud at times when I only have one Firefox tab open to, say, gmail, and nothing else. It's my first gaming laptop and I'm not sure what to expect. The air it blows out is actually colder than room temperature, and the BIOS says the CPU is at 53 degrees. So I'm not sure why the fan is turning so fast.

Lastly, I know that some manufacturers will nullify your warranty if you open the laptop, but I couldn't find a sticker/manual that said that for this particular laptop model. So if I open up my GL553VD to install an SSD, would that cancel my warranty? The ASUS site says it lasts for a year. (And is there a way to check if my laptop can even install an SSD? I've seen retailers sell versions of this laptop with SSD, but mines didn't come with one. )

More information:
Windows 10 64-bit
ASUS ROG GL553VD
I7-7700HQ
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
GTX1050

Thanks!

Try to update to the new 300 BIOS that was released few days ago, I was experiencing same high idle fan speeds but it got fixed when I flashed new BIOS.
Try checking task manager to see the cpu consumption.

I also bought GL553VD and got the same problem, my game center isn't working. please help

More information:
Windows 10 64-bit
ASUS ROG GL553VD
I7-7700HQ
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
1TB HDD
GTX1050

Hello, I have a GL753VD, the 17 inch version of yours, same hardware. ROG gaming center didn't work out of the box, had the same error message. I installed all of the latest drivers from the ASUS site and flashed the latest BIOS. Now it's starting but it's not showing the CPU frequency, it shows 0. This is another piece of garbage software from ASUS. I started a new thread with some other issues and I'm waiting for somebody to confirm them. Here's the link>

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91551-ASUS-Strix-GL753V-issues

I had the same problem with Gaming Center crashing... turns out for me it was Avast Antivirus conflict so I switched to Avira the overly bloated free AV. I hate it!

Is there a special trick to open the cover?
I removed the 10 screws but the cover seem to be glued by something in the middle. Help please

I think disassembly is the same as the GL502VM which you can follow this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViLdaJlpfSY YouTube video. He uses a plastic pry tool to pry it open as it has clips holding it together.

I followed this vodeo but it didn't work. There is something else to do apparently