cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is your support so difficult for a simple request Asus? RMA for a keycap!?

OMGDrAcula
Level 9
So to preface. I love Asus products. They have never done me wrong, and to be honest I really wanted to believe that their support was not as awful as I have seen stated on reddit/newegg. BUT IT IS TRUE!

About a month ago I purchased an Asus Claymore Core keyboard. I love it. It is great quality but has possible issues.
Unlike Corsair keyboards the spacebar has weak plastic supports on the left and right. The left one broke while I was working. I am a web developer so needless to say my spacebar gets a lot of use. So I figure well it is only a month old clearly this will be under the defect part of the warranty.
I hit up support, tell them what happened. Simply ask if I could please have a replacement key cap sent.

I get told that it is user induced damage, and that I would have to send my keyboard in for repair by their technicians. I obviously say that is not needed. Then I get told that I can look to purchase one on their eshop. The Claymore is not even listed in their eshop. http://store.asus.com/us/search?q=claymore&s_c=1
I try another rep and get met with the same stuff. Except when I show them their warranty they ended the chat. You can see images below

http://i.imgur.com/EO5MPTG.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/NRe7MO8.png?1

Here is a pic of the underside of the cap

http://i.imgur.com/uWAVyJO.jpg

I am pretty livid right now.

I should probably stop typing now since if any other key caps break they aren't covered under warranty for bad craftsmanship.
4 REPLIES 4

Heini
Level 11
There's a reason/s I use Ducky keyboards. They don't require software, they do what they supposed to and (if you're in the U.S.) Mechanical Keyboards are great folks.

xeromist
Actually the first rep didn't say it was customer induced damage. They were only trying to inform you that *IF* it was determined to be customer induced that there would be a charge. That's a normal disclaimer since a customer might not know what is damaged or how it happened... or they may not be fully honest. Not talking about you, just saying it happens so ASUS makes that disclaimer.

I agree that it would be nice to just send a replacement for the broken part as that would save everyone time and money but I've never heard of ASUS doing that. I'm guessing the RMA process is not in place to send replacement parts without processing the whole product.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Actually the first rep didn't say it was customer induced damage. They were only trying to inform you that *IF* it was determined to be customer induced that there would be a charge. That's a normal disclaimer since a customer might not know what is damaged or how it happened... or they may not be fully honest. Not talking about you, just saying it happens so ASUS makes that disclaimer.

I agree that it would be nice to just send a replacement for the broken part as that would save everyone time and money but I've never heard of ASUS doing that. I'm guessing the RMA process is not in place to send replacement parts without processing the whole product.

I get why they do it, but it is much cheaper for them to just send a replacement cap. Or at least sell it seperately. There is 0 reason not to be able to do either of those. IMHO.

xeromist
Maybe it stems from ASUS's roots as an internal hardware company? There are no user serviceable parts on the majority of ASUS products so maybe that's why ASUS parts support sucks. I know from personal experience that trying to find OEM parts for laptops is difficult and the e-store selection is slim.

Anyway, the important thing is that they have not turned you down yet. The bit about CID was just an advisory and you are still under warranty so you should be able to get that fixed.

If you do have a hard time or you just aren't satisfied with the quality of the key I would second Heini's suggestion of Mechanical Keyboards. They sell replacement keycaps which might fit and would be of better quality than OEM most of the time. Since it's a spacebar you would want to make sure it's the appropriate length and compare the anchoring mechanism. Unfortunately that's one key that is sometimes proprietary but I don't know how standard the Claymore is.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…