cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer post then shutdown

h2sa2004
Level 7
Hi
Am having Crosshair V Formula-Z. This is the whole setup https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MYLcBP
Problem is, most of the time, computer will post, then start with the UEFI windows boot thing and instantly shutdown. I turn it on again and it boots up fine.
Can someone help me fix this? Mostly the post code is like 61 then FF then off.
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
Qcode 61 is NVRAM Initialization (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory) Some USB devices can also cause this issue so best to just have Keyboard and mouse initially. If adding other USB devices and the issue returns then you know the culprit.

Clear your CMOS then update to latest Bios 2201.

You can flash your Bios using the rear IO panel with the system powered down. (just power to the MB)
Download Bios file 2201 to an empty fat32 formatted USB stick. Check your manual for correct flashback port and flashback button.
Once the flash is complete, reboot then go into your Bios and load optimized defaults.

Ensure your OS drive is first on the boot list.
Please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks for the reply.

I had 2201 out of the box and flashed it once, reset it few times. Other than fans, everything was at default when this has been happening. Yesterday I disabled CSM and ensured boot drive is first. Today with those settings I had to boot twice.

There are no additional peripherals or USB devices attached, only the essentials, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

I have updated my RAM part number to CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10

h2sa2004 wrote:
I have updated my RAM part number to CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10

Ok so whats happening now. Is that with the new RAM>? h2sa2004.
Are you still getting Qcode 61 or FF.?
Did you clear CMOS before installing new modules.?

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Hey

Sorry I spaced out for a while and thanks so much for following up with my issue.

I haven't changed the RAM, just noticed that I had entered wrong part number.

Well I flashed CMOS, reset settings few times, today I changed the battery as well. Everything seems fine but issue is still there. Also contacted ASUS support, they just keep telling me to send it to repair which I can't.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well that's ridiculous to have to send the MB back for repair when proper diagnostics or any form of troubleshooting have not been done.
If it's still FF then yes it's an unidentified fault which can be many things.
Where the Qcode stops is your current error and Post wont continue till rectified. So where does it stop.?
If FF Qcode then you may have to Breadboard outside your Case.
Oh and btw, Your CSM (compatibility support module) should be enabled.
You stated your system boots fine on second attempt. If so then you should check your windows system files. May need a repair or fresh install.
Can I assume you installed in UEFI mode and AHCI enabled.?
You have a Bios direct key on the MB. Have you tried that.?

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Yes so I thought, if only troubleshooting step is, check boot priority, that's just unacceptable.
The codes scroll so fast, I thought I'd try something better, so knowing today it will do 2 boots, I connected laptop and started RC Poster. It went through the whole POST, boot successful and then shutdown.
CSM is enabled and windows in installed in UEFI mode, so I get the ROG logo while windows loads. AHCI, not sure about that but if it's default, then that's it.
You must be right in saying there's something wrong with windows. Reinstall is a scary process for me because, well at least 1TB of download ahead, but I'll work it out.
Maybe I'll make a Live Linux usb and boot to that for few days and see if that has the same issue. You know live usb also uses uefi boot so that should prove a point.
Thanks as always, and I'll update soon.