cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.1 header on Z270 Motherboards - What cable do you get for this?

Chapel
Level 7
For the USB 3.1 Front connector on the motherboard, what cable is that? Where do you get it?
21 REPLIES 21

jbhowlesr
Level 7
I may be wrong but if you case has front panel USB 3.0 connectors and dongle cables, that you would plug them into the 3.1 header on the motherboard. However, and I must caviat that I have never actually seen and USB 3.1 motherboard header; only seen the 3.1 connections at the I/O plate.

There are actually some cases out there like the Inwin 805 that have a USB 3.1 front panel built-in. There should be a cable to connect directly to the header on your motherboard.

If you have an older case that "only" has a 3.0 front panel, it should plug into the 3.1 header anyway. You just won't get full speed.

JustinThyme
Level 13
All the propaganda clearly states that this is a little before its time as 3.1 front panel headers are not yet mainstream. There are a few bay devices on the market but not many. The USB 3.0 on the front of your case plugs into the USB 3.0 header on the MOBO. The connectors are not at all close to being compatible.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
All the propaganda clearly states that this is a little before its time as 3.1 front panel headers are not yet mainstream. There are a few bay devices on the market but not many. The USB 3.0 on the front of your case plugs into the USB 3.0 header on the MOBO. The connectors are not at all close to being compatible.

This is why I stated that "I May Be Wrong" up front

I came across this product that clearly shows the male version of the 3.1 MOBO connector.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-ic3dah45/

Looks like I will have to be patient and hope new devices adopt this 3.1 MOBO header.

I could also live with a cable adapter that goes from a 3.1 header to a 3.0 header and live with the reduced speeds. But I haven't found one yet.

Chino
Level 15

EightBallCrnPkt
Level 7
Chapel wrote:
For the USB 3.1 Front connector on the motherboard, what cable is that? Where do you get it?

I am in the same boat. The cast I am using is the Phanteks Enthroo Pro M. Has USB 3 front panel. My mobo has 3.1 header for front panel. What I am going to do is use the ASRock USB 3.1 Front Panel Front USB 3.1 Panel which will allow me to use the 3.1 up front.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811990012

EightBallCrnPkt wrote:
I am in the same boat. The cast I am using is the Phanteks Enthroo Pro M. Has USB 3 front panel. My mobo has 3.1 header for front panel. What I am going to do is use the ASRock USB 3.1 Front Panel Front USB 3.1 Panel which will allow me to use the 3.1 up front.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811990012

Hello

You do realize the front panel you linked to does not plug into a USB 3.1 header?

Praz wrote:
Hello

You do realize the front panel you linked to does not plug into a USB 3.1 header?

You are right, I"m not sure why they advertise it the way they do.. Scratch that idea!