Threaded View

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Quadro cards do have specialized performance capabilities and advantages which does makes them the better choice for certain tasks. They're definitely better than GeForces for their intended "niche" image rendering tasks, even though their specific hardware capabilities are sometimes inferior for other tasks. Where GeForce shines is overclocking, card makers can factory overclock +10% to 15% (or more) past reference, users can upgrade cooling and bump overclocks even further. Where Quadro shines is reliability, NVIDIA cherry picks the very best of the best GPUs to run +10% to +15% (or more) past reference, installed on the most robust hardware and cooling they can make - the end-users dare not void their NVIDIA support by pushing clocks further, but they are assured their Quadros will keep on running perfectly every day until their warranty expires.
    Quadro cards also come with an enterprise-class pricing/leasing structure which isn't realistic for most sane consumers - but a hefty part of that hefty price is ongoing access to NVIDIA's tech/dev support, and most Quadro customers are quite willing to pay this price because they refer to (or work with) NVIDIA so frequently that losing this essential service would negatively impact their productivity. Gamers and others outside the "niche" really don't understand how utterly important it is to have uniformity, modularity, interchangeability, redundancy, and scalability across all GPU hardware (and software) - while those inside the "niche" understand that time is money and avoidable inefficiencies (caused by lame things like version conflicts or part incompatibilities) cause downtime which adds up alarmingly fast, and that lost data can be the most costly loss of all (when it is permanently irreplaceable or it results in liability, anyhow).

Quadro cards vs GeForce cards can have (almost) identical hardware, and can often even be flashed/configured with firmware intended for their counterparts. But a $7000 Quadro P6000 isn't the right choice for a gamer (who could instead overclock a $1000 GTX1080 or $1500 TitanX), while an overclocked $1000 GeForce card is just too "unstable" and "risky" from the perspective of a business wanting to make money from getting graphical work done. Here's one not-too-bad explanation.

I think the Tesla card I use in my home machine is ridiculous, but I didn't argue against it very convincingly when my employer wanted to provide me with some "real" hardware to use at home, lol. I still kinda think a pair of Titans would be better, but I'm stuck with (my boss's) Tesla for a while.