21 year computer builder Array jbhowlesr PC Specs
    jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5820K, Asus 5-way Optimized at 4.487 ghz
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 (8 x 4gb) = 32GB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Editions
    Sound CardSoundblaster Recom 3D
    Monitor2 ASUS VG248 144Hz 1080p 3D (Dual Screen)
    Storage #1Samsung SM951 128gb M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Seagate FireCuda 1T Hybrid Drive
    CPU CoolerEKWB Custom Cooling Loop, EKWB X99 Monoblock, EKWB GeForce 1070 FE Full cover water block
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860 Platinum
    Keyboard Razr Blackwidow Ultrimate Stealth
    Mouse Corsair Vengeance M95
    Headset Sound Blaster Tactics Alpha 3D
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Network Routerpfsense/snort/pfblockerNG
    Accessory #1 Steam Game Pad
    Accessory #2 EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator, EKWB D5 Pump, EK 250 reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    I've been running 128GB of RAM for a while now. You don't have to worry about support. Both the CPU and motherboard can run a 128GB kit.

Higher frequencies will most probably require more manual tweaking. Get a kit in the range of 2400MHz and you might get lucky and won't have to tweak anything.
    Just out of curiosity, what applications are you using that take advantage of 128GB of RAM? I have a read a lot where people say photoshop works better with that kind of ram but I am not sure if this is actually the case. I mean, I am an Imagery Analyst and I use SocetGXP at work. Our machines don't have crap tons of ram but are able to work with several images at once effortlessly. I can promise you that nothing, and I mean nothing is more taxing on system memory than this program. Here is a link to socetGXP.

http://www.geospatialexploitationpro...ent/socet-gxp/
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 02-02-2017 at 05:50 PM.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Photoshop will eat all the RAM you can give it...especially if you start working on large file sizes. You can check your "efficiency" in the indicator to see if RAM is limiting you.

It will start using scratch disk if it doesn't have enough RAM

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by jbhowlesr View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what applications are you using that take advantage of 128GB of RAM? I have a read a lot where people say photoshop works better with that kind of ram but I am not sure if this is actually the case. I mean, I am an Imagery Analyst and I use SocetGXP at work. Our machines don't have crap tons of ram but are able to work with several images at once effortlessly. I can promise you that nothing, and I mean nothing is more taxing on system memory than this program. Here is a link to socetGXP.

http://www.geospatialexploitationpro...ent/socet-gxp/
    Mostly stuff from work: Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and CorelDraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Photoshop will eat all the RAM you can give it...especially if you start working on large file sizes. You can check your "efficiency" in the indicator to see if RAM is limiting you.

It will start using scratch disk if it doesn't have enough RAM
    Yeah, especially if you work simultaneously with multiple RAW files from DSLRs.

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CPU CoolerEKWB Custom Cooling Loop, EKWB X99 Monoblock, EKWB GeForce 1070 FE Full cover water block
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Mostly stuff from work: Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and CorelDraw.

Yeah, especially if you work simultaneously with multiple RAW files from DSLRs.

I work with images that anywhere from 100mb to 1GB in size on machines that have 16GB of ram and NVS450 graphics cards.

The point I believe is that these machines are optimized for this work having gone through extensive testing and proofing. Where as a lot of custom solutions don't receive work specific optimization. Overall, this could be the case for the need for super high amounts of ram. However, if the system is optimized all the way down to the embedded software level, it may not be necessary I believe. Again, going back to my original statement, purchase based on your particular need. However, before you upgrade, try running a utility called CAM. its a very reliable utility that provides reasonably accurate system info on the fly. I'd try installing and running it, and while doing what you do, monitor CAM's indicator for RAM usage and Load. It will be the most telling of all things if the upgrade is needed. Remember, system use of RAM is scalable by the operating system and software. Try running CAM and see what your usage actually is.

One other suggestion I would make here is that if working with photos and experiencing bad system lag, is that you invest in a professional graphics card such as one of the many Nvidia Quadro cards. The reason being is that unlike GeForce and titan cards, Nvidia Quadro cards use embedded software that more geared toward processing of imagery. One of these embedded software bits that's worthy of note is called double floating point precision which enables highly accelerated and highly accurate processing of polygons, colors, edges etc. It also enables a better array of color processing when working with color correction. Geforce and titan cards can do this stuff but not with the ease the Quadro cards can. The exception here is the titan cards have a light version of some of the same embedded software but it is not as good or as accurate as what you get in a Quadro card. My personal recommendation for the work you are wanting to do is this card:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E1681413363 ------> Quadra 6000 GPU

or use this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814132041 -------> TESLA K80 GPU engine
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 02-03-2017 at 05:02 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array mirkoj PC Specs
    mirkoj PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    Processor5960X; 5930k; 3930k
    Memory (part number)64GB RAM on each comp
    Graphics Card #1Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #2Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #3Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #4Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Monitor3x Asus PA328q; 3xDell U2713HM
    Storage #1Synology 1813+: 4x1TB WD RE4 in raid10, 4xWD RED 3TB in raid10
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i; Corsair H110iGT; Corsair H110i
    CaseCorsair 900D; Corsair 770D; Corsair 800D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i; SuperFlower1600; Thermaltake 1500
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset Astra A50
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z5500
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC5300

Quadro cards has NOTHING to do with images and that staff. They are overpriced crap that is good for really narrow niche of people.
    Even for me working in 3d animation using Maya, Softimage and Houdini they are waste of money.
    There is no embedded software or anything in Quadro cards. They simply have more VRAM and more optimized drivers for stability instead of latest game support and SLI profiles and similar gaming stuff in addition to couple added things like 10bit color... There is no additional software in cards that handles images.... nope....
    Also double floating point precision has NOTHING to do with polygons, edges and view ports or even display. It is used only for computational part.
    DFPP is mainly used in the GPGPU applications found in scientific research etc. It is for where calculations that can be made in a parallel fashion also require high precision.
    Even in GPU rendering Quadro and tesla cards are complete waste of time as for price on one Quadro I can get 4 1080 cards which will render couple times faster over all.
    So no, big no to Quadro and tesla for things like this.

Also there is no optimization software and all that crap that can optimize for amount of RAM needed when you start 4 instances of 3d software to start rendering on 4 GPUs at once or even single scene that is huge.

So no need for any monitoring stuff or something simply bring up task manager and if your RAM usage is hitting 80-90% it is time to update.
    Simple as that

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

First point is...people are free to buy and not use all the RAM they want. Do I roll my eyes sometimes when a gamer insists they need 64GB..yes...

However there are multiple use cases where large amounts of RAM are going to help you...even if it's just a bit.

Many people want to do multiple things on their computers...gaming...photoshop...virtual machines...ram disks...3d modeling...take catia home for the weekend...they don't restrict themselves to quadro cards they use Geforce cards...they buy large RAM kits for quad channel boards...

If I see someone with limited budget who is choosing high GB kit because they are misinformed I'll say something...if not I'll wish all power to them...

I'm currently using a mainstream 4 core 32GB setup...it runs photoshop fine....does it run as well as 8 core and 128gb ram...probably not under some use cases but is it a slow crawl compared to a sprint...no...but no one said that was the case....

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

listen guys.. I'm not here to fight an argue. I think you should read between the lines of my statements vs reading one line and attacking me. I am agreeing with you in my statements and proposing different solution based on the work being done at the same time.
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 02-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by mirkoj View Post
    Quadro cards has NOTHING to do with images and that staff. They are overpriced crap that is good for really narrow niche of people.
    Even for me working in 3d animation using Maya, Softimage and Houdini they are waste of money.
    There is no embedded software or anything in Quadro cards. They simply have more VRAM and more optimized drivers for stability instead of latest game support and SLI profiles and similar gaming stuff in addition to couple added things like 10bit color... There is no additional software in cards that handles images.... nope....
    Also double floating point precision has NOTHING to do with polygons, edges and view ports or even display. It is used only for computational part.
    DFPP is mainly used in the GPGPU applications found in scientific research etc. It is for where calculations that can be made in a parallel fashion also require high precision.
    Even in GPU rendering Quadro and tesla cards are complete waste of time as for price on one Quadro I can get 4 1080 cards which will render couple times faster over all.
    So no, big no to Quadro and tesla for things like this.

Also there is no optimization software and all that crap that can optimize for amount of RAM needed when you start 4 instances of 3d software to start rendering on 4 GPUs at once or even single scene that is huge.

So no need for any monitoring stuff or something simply bring up task manager and if your RAM usage is hitting 80-90% it is time to update.
    Simple as that
    Have you actually read on the web about quadro cards or is this personal opinion? I mean the we b is actually littered with data proving my point.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-geforce-cards

Here is a quote:

"It's called market segmentation or something like that. nVidia produces one very configurable chip and then sells it in different configurations that essentially have the same elements and hence the same bill of materials to different market segments, although one would usually expect to find elements of higher quality on the more expensive Quadro boards.
    What differentiates Quadro from GeForce is that GeForce usually has its dual precision floating point performance severely limited, e.g. to 1/4 or 1/8 of that of the Quadro/Tesla GPUs. This limitation is purely artificial and imposed on solely to differentiate the gamer/enthusiast segment from the professional segment. Lower DP performance makes GeForce boards bad candidates for stuff like scientific or engineering computing and those are markets where money streams from. Also Quadros (arguably) have more display channels and faster RAMDACs which allows them to drive more and higher resolution screens, a sort of setup perceived as professional for CAD/CAM work."

what he is saying is NVidia builds a GPU and uses it on a wide array cards. The difference is the firmware loaded on the GPU, i.e. embedded software.
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 02-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array mirkoj PC Specs
    mirkoj PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    Processor5960X; 5930k; 3930k
    Memory (part number)64GB RAM on each comp
    Graphics Card #1Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #2Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #3Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Graphics Card #4Asus TitanX; EVGA Titan SC; Gainward 970
    Monitor3x Asus PA328q; 3xDell U2713HM
    Storage #1Synology 1813+: 4x1TB WD RE4 in raid10, 4xWD RED 3TB in raid10
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i; Corsair H110iGT; Corsair H110i
    CaseCorsair 900D; Corsair 770D; Corsair 800D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i; SuperFlower1600; Thermaltake 1500
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset Astra A50
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z5500
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC5300

It wasn't from the web it is personal experience, work with and tested with range of those and trust me on that

Quadros at the moment are big waste of money for 99% of users including users in 3D like CG content creation and animation.
    And especially in GPU rendering where performance per $ between Quadro and Geforce cards is so big that Quadros and even Teslas are waste of money.

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by mirkoj View Post
    It wasn't from the web it is personal experience, work with and tested with range of those and trust me on that

Quadros at the moment are big waste of money for 99% of users including users in 3D like CG content creation and animation.
    And especially in GPU rendering where performance per $ between Quadro and Geforce cards is so big that Quadros and even Teslas are waste of money.
    not to be argumentative but if you knew what I did,, you would understand that without quadra cards, my work wouldn't be possible. My work is admittedly on the extreme end of imagery work. I do promise you that it is far beyond anything you do. So, I guess, I fall in one of those "niche" that you mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast